Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to the Speedshow this morning there was a bike in the middle lane of the m40, behind a car doing 50mph (no-one else around).

Rik was infront and overtook gently, I overtook at around 95mph, and my mate (adam in the pinky corsa on airbags) undertook the middle lane hogger...tut tut tut.

As we rounded the corner a Merc 4x4 polizei car was just setting off from the fast lane. We all tucked into the inside lane, unfortunately Adam was at the back. He got a £30 for having no front numberplate and an MOT notice because his exhaust was louder than standard, how we all laughed.

Anyhooows, I'm driving home back up the M40 when we reach the same Merc 4x4 doing 65mph in the inside lane. I had no option but to overtake (70mph obv...) and the lights came on and I was pulled over :(

After he commented about "stopping a pink car this morning with 5 exhausts (pmsl!) he lectured me about having no front numberplate...blah blah and gave me a £30 fine. He then got out his police handbook and showed me a page entitled "Silencers". He read out some waffle and then showed me what it said at the bottom ; it basically read that if your car has an aftermarket exhaust on it that makes it louder than a non-standard car then the car is NOT road-legal :eek:

Never heard that before myself; I was going to tell him that the noise was probably due to the 4 big holes going straight into my engine but thought it probably best to just sit and be quiet - luckily I got off having the MOT notice thing cos they were in a hurry to get to their favourite Donut shop before it shut.
Just thought that next time you get stopped for having a loud exhaust, you don't really seem to have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
445 Posts
surely he's got the belguim book of road rules or something- that seriously can't be right- else it wouldn't MOT

*waits for trev*

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
lmao lmao was very unfortunate. when i went past you on the hard shoulder i couldnt help but piss my self as it was the same copper.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Think I've seen the law somewhere that if the exhaust is altered to increase the performance of the car or louder than std, then it needs to be changed back to std spec.

I was told exhuast was too loud before and get it replaced to a std one, but how can you when no dealer stock a 1.4 16v exhaust for a nova ;)

Maybe you're could be an imported something to confuse them??

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
benn said:
dave,
was it the pink corsa with nova archs and carbon bonnet?
I'm not Dave, but yes!

****ing ****ers - I undertook a Corolla on way home and never got pulled - must not like northerners? LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
what about the WRC rally cars which are not standard by any means but have to be road legal to drive between stages and have rather load exhausts

·
Registered
651 Posts
j1400 said:
You seen a std exhuast for a 2L turbo 4x4 WRC car in motorfactors catalogue??

lol,, but what has that got to do with anything,, it should be based on db readings,, lol,, the standard zaust 4 me cally is crap, why would i want it?

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
An officer must assess in a subjective manner the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

If a silencer is in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition then an offence has been committed.

So when you test a rally car you are comparing it to other rally cars or a road-going version of the same car?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I got pulled over and told my exhaust was too loud also, among speeding (which i wasnt) and being told "ive been seen around alot" which apparently is a crime rolleyes

I told them that i dont have an aftermarket exhaust, they promptly checked that out, to find an OEM pug standard 1.48v exhaust

so they cautioned me....

I didnt tell them about the 16 holes in my plastic airbox tho :p

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I Was racing some black Rep lookin car ( (i dont no what it was. No badges etc)on the way home, along the dual track between Redditch and Bromesgrove
AS it ended in bromesgrove and went to single lane, i was in front, then this Police bike came speeding up behind us, and puilled him over! Rofl, unlucky. I had been up to 105.... So hes probably In the **** now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts