Internet without a landline?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet without a landline?

Scottish Regional Co-ordinator/MIGWeb Moderator GaryVaux's Avatar
    Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

Internet without a landline?

Hi, going to be renting my sister b/f's old flat (getting it cheap while its on the market) At the moment theres no phoneline connected (which doesnt bother me, as ive free minutes/texts on my mobile contract)

I can happily live without sky tv etc, but not internet (how else would i check migweb ) Not really wanting to get the landline connected and get an isp, as pretty much all of them are on 12moth+ contracts. (and i may only be in the flat a few months)

The coverage for all the major phone network's internet dongles appears to be poor. (although signal for calls is good to excelent) No cable broadband is available in the area either.

Other than tethering my phone (which on my contract would work out extortionate) what are my options?

Id say im online 2-3hours most days (forums, facebook, ebay, youtube, ocassionally 4od or bbc iplayer etc) so not sure what usage that ammounts too

Any help greatly received

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

Re: Internet without a landline?

anybody?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE 16v Turbo

Unless you use BT Openzone on wireless I can't see how you can get around not having a land line tbh.
    "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour. You're gonna see some serious s***"!!!!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives

satellite internet is your only remaining option.

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    mk4 Astra GSI

You could try something like a Mifi dongle. Best to check coverage with a proper phone first and see if the data coverage is good enough, then you can stick it in a window or somewhere where you get a reasonable signal and connect on wifi.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra H

If you manage to pick up any wifi networks in the flat would it be worth asking any of the neighbours if you can share there connection and offer 10-20 a month.

Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

BT openzone sounds like a decent idea, had a look at it, and it seems like it might be an option. That may be an idea aswell baz (though how secure it is, i dont know??)

Drives
    Van

Used to stay in a caravan on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no signal at ground level.

However a massive tree branch, a 10 meter usb extension and the dongle attatched to the top in a sealed plastic bag did the trick.

May help if you have access to the roof?

Drives
    Vec C, Nova C20xe

Gary what they dont tell you is that the contract is in your name not the houses so you can take the contract with you to the next house you move to.

Drives
    CavSRi/AstraEd100/BMW740i

Quote Originally Posted by Stewartvec View Post
    Gary what they dont tell you is that the contract is in your name not the houses so you can take the contract with you to the next house you move to.

If you plan on moving somewhere else on your own then I'd get a phone line in, I'm paying about 7 more a month for phone/broadband with BT (includes BT Vision too which can be handy) than I was on mobile internet. I got free connection too, if I move then the reconnection is free as well. Definitely the answer!

Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

my heads melted with all this technology!! I just want a net connection, no phoneline, no contract and not stupid money... seems it doesnt exist. Not sure what to do, (having a bt broadband deal in my name is fine, but a bit pish paying for it when i move back home)

Ed
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Merc W201 190 & W124 300

Surely that dongle thing is the answer? I've seen them on 3 month contracts.

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    mk4 Astra GSI

I've got a "3" mifi dongle on PAYG for whenever I'm in the UK. 15 for 3GB that lasts a month. And you can connect up to 5 devices to it. MiFi on Three

Other networks offer similar kit and tariffs.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Purple Ronnie c20xe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave1979 View Post
    I've got a "3" mifi dongle on PAYG for whenever I'm in the UK. 15 for 3GB that lasts a month. And you can connect up to 5 devices to it. MiFi on Three

Other networks offer similar kit and tariffs.
    ^^THIS

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Lada Riva

Unless I've read wrong you would need at least 20GB for a month .
    I canny invest in ya and for that reason , I'm oot .

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    mk4 Astra GSI

You'd be surprised. When I'm using mine I pretty much use it in the same way. I'll probably only watch one or two programs on iPlayer but usually only use around 1GB in a week. If the majority of it is web browsing with say an hour of iplayer or 4od I'd say it'll probably fit in the 3GB. You can buy as much or as little bandwidth as you need anyway.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    SRI Z20LEH, 1.3 CDTI

If you want NO contract, NO year tie in, either ask your neighbour as mentioned. If you computer has virus protection your perfectly safe!!! THough they might have the same issues with secruity so might say do one!

Or a dongle! these are sold in a number of ways..... long term contract....short term....and pay as you go.
    Long term is 24 months/ 18 months or a year. ( no good! )
    Short is a 30 day rolling contract (basicaly pay and go, except they take the money first by direct debit. But benefits are a much better DATA plan then P&G)
    Pay and go is expensive, but has no ties at all, however most DATA top ups cost 15 for 1GB of data which EXPIRES after 30 days.Compared to 30 day contract youl get about 15GB for 15!!

Last option is your mobile phone..... you can use android or iphones to "tether" its internet to a laptop/PC. Vodafone offer 3GB of data tethering for 5. (very cheap!!!) And they only charge you when you use it, so if you use 0.5 gb its 5 that month, if u use 0.5 next its 5 again. But no use, no fee. Theres no setting up, or cancelling as such.
    LOVE VAUXHALLS, HATE THEIR GEARBOXES!!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    SRI Z20LEH, 1.3 CDTI

If using a tiny amount, eg, E-mails...checking mig....checking ebay..... you can surf completly free by using MYWI on an jailbroken iphone with o2..... somehow it uses your phones free 500mb allowance, and doesnt charge for tethering!

Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

cheers for all the info guys, will see if i can borrow a dongle to check for coverage (as all the major providers say the coverage isnt great)

Gagged
    Drives
    astra G coupe c20let

probably too late now but there is nothing wrong with tethering your phone as i cant see how you provider can tell. its just a warning so you dont use it for torrentz as the data usage is the same on your phone as it is on a laptop. your data usage is actually miniscule browsing forums or using iplayer.
    modern android phones operate as access points now making it easier. Dongles are the biggest con going same as buying roaming minutes in europe. we always use tethering for the laptop when we go to the caravan and thats for a week at a time
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting but its better to be late in this world than early in the next

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    SRI Z20LEH, 1.3 CDTI
    Quote Originally Posted by anniman1 View Post
    probably too late now but there is nothing wrong with tethering your phone as i cant see how you provider can tell. its just a warning so you dont use it for torrentz as the data usage is the same on your phone as it is on a laptop. your data usage is actually miniscule browsing forums or using iplayer.
    modern android phones operate as access points now making it easier. Dongles are the biggest con going same as buying roaming minutes in europe. we always use tethering for the laptop when we go to the caravan and thats for a week at a time
    500mb is fast used up! And phones like the iphone im affraid they can tell. If you use the built in tether function it uses a different APN, so your network provider know's exactly what your doing! Hence charging for a seperate larger data allowance. for use with a pc rather then a phone.

However a jailbroken iphone with non-approved software, mywi an app, it creates a hotspot rather then usb or bluetooth (these use the phones protocol and charge you for tethering) creating a hotspot (WIFI link) is free! It uses the phones APN not the tethering one. But this isnt openly available to everyone unless your clued up!

10 short videos, over 10 days will see 1GB of data used.

Been there been charged, you have to be careful. 1 way around it could be 3's "all you can eat" data plan. But again... Anything like torrent use, all day browsing, skype calls will rapidly use data and your mobile network wont be happy!

Drives
    No longer The Pheonix

I use a 3 dongle at work on a payg term. It costs me 10 for 1gb every 30 days or sooner if it expires. 3 are pretty good in terms of coverage and signal so long as you dont want to stream any thing. for general surfing its awesome, you tube and the likes, not so much.
    Please ensure all event queries are sent to me and i will reply in due course.....Thank you

Drives
    Van

I use the same, A 3 dongle in my office and although it doesnt get a signal in the stone building i use a 5 meter usb extension and have the dongle up in the roofspace. Works a treat. I pay 15 for 3gb which usually lasts about 25days of all day browsing.

Gagged
    Drives
    astra G coupe c20let

500mb is pathetic. use t-mobile or giffgaff for unlimited. iphones are brainwashed guff. using an android phone lets create a hotspot or access point and you dont have to jailbreak to install what you want. the only thing that makes the iphone more popular is that connector thingy on the bottom
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting but its better to be late in this world than early in the next

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    SRI Z20LEH, 1.3 CDTI

Quote Originally Posted by anniman1 View Post
    500mb is pathetic. use t-mobile or giffgaff for unlimited. iphones are brainwashed guff. using an android phone lets create a hotspot or access point and you dont have to jailbreak to install what you want. the only thing that makes the iphone more popular is that connector thingy on the bottom
    iphones more popular because it earned it, everyone knows its good and as soon as they can afford one, they get one. android out sells apple due to the IOS and iphone been on 1 device.... android is now sold on nearly every other phone short of a BB. Most middle aged people with sony ericssons, samsumgs etc etc dont realise they have android, they stuck with a make they like....... I think you'l actualy find.... your using a 3rd party app from the market or whatever to tether (or a very old anroid which didnt have a seperate APN built in!). Mobile networks DO charge for it, and cant pick and choose which phones to charge on. That is just unfair in anyones book. So when you use proper built in tethering functions on the later androids, you ARE charged for tethering!

500MB limit was not "pathetic" a while ago, when it was put in place.... youd stuggle to use that 24/7 browsing because 3g's so slow! However things have changed with so many handhelds.... people use whatsapp, viber to send msgs and pics free, its all extra data

Androids do have to be jailbroken, except its called "ROOTING" i know, i own one, and have it done, also for 3rd party dodgy apps. Android is a more open software, and also much more un stable! you can download anything from anyone openly, and brick a phone completly! Apple check and restrict apps, and check for bad codes before lauching to the public, and no matter what you muck up CANNOT be bricked!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast