Got a virus/trojan or adware/spyware?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got a virus/trojan or adware/spyware?

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Right got you now, so how do we tackle those 3 files or stop them running in the background.
    I am too old for my Calibra and my Calibra is too old for me! we are both stuck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

Drives
    Astra SXI
    Try starting the PC in safe mode.

If that doesn't work, then you need to get a bit more creative.

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    I should have also listened to Mark T. he did say start in safe mode.
    I am too old for my Calibra and my Calibra is too old for me! we are both stuck!

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Started in safe mode, ran the AVG, still made no difference, aparently then I noticed a little warning at the left bottom of the AVG page that thye free anti-virus only scans for viruses and not for spyware or adware and it prompts you to upgrade for a full internet version.

Drives
    Astra SXI
    If it detects it, it should be able to remove it.

Use Spybot S & D to remove spyware.

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Right lads my lap top is now badly infected, got a strange bug, so when I am now typing the words or sometimes a complete sentence don't appear on the screen as I am typing, there appears to be a second to 3 second delay. Everything appears to be running very slow, and even after a while a warning box opens to tell me that I my resources are full, I must close some programmes.

This seems to have happned after I went to a site called "channelchooser.com" which shows free movies and videos of all sorts! so Mike Warner did warn us not to go to such sites!

That AVG anti-virus didn't appear to do sod all!
    Last edited by MSG; 23-11-2007 at 02:45. Reason: was meant to state Channelchooser.com and not channelselector.com

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    My feeling is that free anti-virus offers cause these deliberate bugs so that you are forced to purchase the actual paid for version, the effects take place after a few days later so that the problems don't appear to relate to anti-virus, but it is not the first time that has happened to me after I installed an anti-virus, last time I purchased a legitimate Norton anti-virus offered by AOL which caused havock to my computer such that I had to call them to cancell my subscription and I had to remove it from my computer and reload ME and other programmes including AOL itself.

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    This is no good, even scrolling down on Mig threads has become a nightmare, I just went to check my internet speed, and the results speak for themselves, this is despite AOL has put me on a 2MB broadband speed from the previous 1MB for the same monthly plan.

any way here is the proof how slow my systejm is now! 20 times slower.

Banned
    Drives
    a BMW again lol
    your right, too many anti-this anti-that and the computer starts to fook up

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    I am now forced to use my new laptop (Acer Aspire 9504) This is much better and faster and flows like a water, although this one is connected to internet wia the Wireless network (netgear) and seems a lot faster than my old one that is now ever so slow that I feel like chucking a brick on it.

here is the test results for the Acer.

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    That is one reason I try not to use this new laptop for fear of getting it corrupted.

secondly my finger tips are very rough, and they tend to wear the legends on keytops, so I want to use my new laptop as little as pos for surfing, I really use this 17" for watching DVD's and photo albums.

I hope Jack or someone else can offer me some advise how I can sort my old one now, its even taking so much time booting up and keeps crashing with a message "Your computer is running very low on available system resources. Please close some of the programmes" and then when I try to cancel this message window the computer just goes ding! ding! and the pointer though moves about on the screen can be taken to other "x" cross out boxes on the corner of the windows to close other windows but just goes Ding! . I then have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the system down and reboot again, ran the AVG which found 11 trojans and 2 viruses, weather it fixed them or dleted them I am not sure, but on restart it appears to have made no difference.

PS. I am not blaming anyone on here for my old one going busurk , it was my decision to download AVG anti-virus, but I have got a feeling it is not because of that but rather because I visited the so called "Channelchooser.com" however you would think that if I have just installed AVG then it should have protected my computer wouldn't you.

Banned
    Drives
    a BMW again lol
    must sleep

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    good Lord I forgot its nearly dawn! I too must.

Don't forget Not to check that dodgy link!

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Results getting better (sarcastically speaking ):

Don't understand what is a "Ping", it appears the larger the ping the slower the download times! a ping would mean something sent and then reflected back like in a ping pong game

Though I have reloaded AOL, it appears to have made the navigation faster, and as I am typingappearing on the screen instentaioniously whereas before the words appeared on the screen after a delay of a second or two.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    I came across this the other day

SDFIX

Run it and it will extract to the root of C:\

Reboot into Safe Mode and run C:\SDFix\RunThis.cmd

Awesome little program. When it prompts you to reboot, do so normally...no need to go back into Safe Mode. It will then carry on and give you a log file stating what it found and what it did with it. I used this the other day where ewido and all others couldnt remove a nasty exe file in the TEMP directory. This program owned it and another 5 viruses previous undetected.

Well worth a try.
    Try this fella.

I've been using it at work on VERY badly infected PC's (and i'm talking to the point the next step would have been a fresh rebuild)

Remember to start it off in Safe Mode. It was successfully where McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc etc weren't...
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    I will give it a go mate thanks for the above link,what do I do run it in safe mode by clicking on its icon or Reboot into Safe Mode and run C:\SDFix\RunThis.cmd and do I remove the AVG first or just leave it there? my download speeds have been as low as 50Kb/s!

any way cheers mate.

Banned
    Drives
    a BMW again lol
    Please install to the default location by clicking Install -- The SDFix Folder will be extracted to %systemdrive% \ (Drive that contains the Windows directory - typically 'C:\SDFix') -- Open the SDFix folder in Safe Mode then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the fixtool -- If run in Normal Mode, options to download and run Anti-Virus command line scanners are displayed --
    Catchme.exe Stealth Malware Detector by GMER is also included in the SDFix folder

Banned
    Drives
    a BMW again lol
    Awesome! No trojans found, but that seems a very good program...

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    Aye it is pretty sweet.

I couldnt believe it when it worked!
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Hi guys, as usual I have come unstuck!

I did exactly as you stated. Downloaded SDfix, then installed it to a default destination which was C:\programe files\%system drive%\

then I switched off my computer as it was in normal mode and re-booted in safe mode using f5 key. (I am running ME on my laptop)

then on safe mode, I clicked on RUN and typed C:\program files\%system drive%\ and another window opened with about 5 icons including the one labelled "Run this.cmd" so I double clicked on it and another dialouge box opened asking "What programe do you want the windows to open this file with" and this is where I am lost! so what do I do now? what do you need to run a .cmd file with ???????sorry guys I hate computers course I don't fully understand almost 90% of things about computers.

I will be back to check your reply, thanks in advance. cheers

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    right I tried again the above, still prompts for a programe to open the run this.cmd file, so I tried an old trick of restoring my system to a previous date in October and this appears to have sorted out the down load speed but it is still not ideal as it should be close to 2Mb as mu other laptop does reach pretty close to that i.e 1.8Mb.

here is a test result after restoration performed:

a later test on a shorter ping of 636ms results even better:

it appears to be getting better just on having restored...can't belive it! and this one is on an even longer "ping" whatever that is!
    Last edited by MSG; 25-11-2007 at 20:02.

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    Here i don't understand.....I have only started speed testing using the speedtest.net, andf if you look to the right on the test result page after you have done your test there is a message in red writing asking you to click on to see your past results, when I did that it went back thousands of results even though I didn't check my speed results any more than say 50 to 100 times since someone posted the above site reccomendation about a month to two ago. so how come this sirte has got results of my speed for nearly every minute of the day I havwe been on line? this is weird man!!!! can someone explain what the hell's going on and look one of my past results I have been sailing at over 4Mb/s

Drives
    Astra SXI
    I think you're placing far too much importance on this...

MSG
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L
    surely I have max 2Mb broadband so this can't be right, here is another one Jack, a while back my computer went real slow, I then reloaded AOL ver 9 and things improved with browsing and the speednet test revealed that I hit a rock bottom speed at 50Kb/s and then here is another one that appears to hit 5mb/s sometimes todya aparently....I am just curious and wanting to find out whats going on wearther this site is just churning out random numbers!

Some things just spin my head!
    Last edited by MSG; 25-11-2007 at 22:30.

Banned
    Drives
    a BMW again lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think you're placing far too much importance on this...

^^^^ What he said!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast