Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

xe plate throttle mod

748 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  cavvysri 
#1 ·
do u really have to fill the 2 holes that the wedge leaves behind?

#4 ·
I thought that too when I took the terrys choclate plate of the butterfly flap on my Nova GTE...." two small holes, that will be alright" I thought

Bolted everything back up, started the car, started fine and then rapidly went over 2000rpm and rising FAST!

My foot wasn't on the gas pedal.
So I filled the holes up with small nut and bolt.
Now it idles ok.
Surprising that those 2 little holes could affect the car so much.

#7 ·
> doesn't this defeat the object of doing the mod in the
> first place?

two 'small' nuts and bolts to fill up the 2 holes is no where as big as the terrys choclate metal wedge. I would have filled the holes up with glue.....if I had any.

> i can see why that happens, i just thought the moronic
> was more inteligent than that

It may not be quick enough to react?
I don't know, but my BOSCH Jetronic system on the Nova GTE didn't regualte it. The new Motronic might.....try it and see.

#8 ·
Hi Phil, on the GTE you don't have an Idle control valve, you have an Auxillary air valve. this is just a bypass pipe which closes off as the heater element and engine temperature warms it. It's a by-metal strip deal. With the Motronic we have Engine management rather than like Topbuzz and myself who have a hybrid Jetronic fuel injection only. You know all this anyway as we talked about it the other night but I'd also like to see it confirmed by some others.... :)

#11 ·
The idle control valve is a digital device, that is to say it is fed pulses to control its appature. They are renouned for clagging up. Remove it and spray a good quantity of WD40 down the openings and clean out any deposits in there. This usually allows the unit to work more freely and helping idle stability.

N.B. the ICV is sometimes called the idle stabiliser in some tech. manuals.

#14 ·
God! chemical metel...... that is a bodgers way of doing it, plus there's always the chance of it falling out straight into the cylinder head. As above I don't think it's a problem them being there with the later management systems. The air through these holes is "metered air" so the air/fuel mix will still be correctly adjusted.

Anyway, Phil knows my opinion (unproved at the moment) and filling the holes is another simple exercise. What we'd all like to know is, has anybody run an XE with the holes there and what was the result etc.

#17 ·
the holes will allow too much air thgough the body and your idle will be way too high as the idle control valve can only add more air, not stop it going through the throttle. your base idle will be too high. JB Weld has never let me down. make it slightly bigger than the hole on both ends and it cant fall through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.