Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Free Extra Power for 16 Valver

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  cavvysri 
#1 ·
Anyone know of free or cheap ways to get more power from 16v Astras?

So far I've drilled the air box but are there any other ways cos I'm skint:D

#2 ·
Ive not actually looked at mine, but, someone came on here claiming the 16v throttle butterfly has a object attatched to it that resembles a single slice/section of chocolate orange, and the removal of this would of course increase the airflow throught the plate.

These are totally unsubstantiated claims, cause i dont remember anything like that, but its gotta be wort a look, cause its free :D

The best way to get back some power is to totally go over your car and service it, theres a section in the technical archives about regaining lost power....here....

http://www.migubb.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=551

#3 ·
Cheers I did most of that stuff when I got the car as I always service a car when I first get it.

Anyone know more about this butterfly thing? I know what it is but how do I modify it?

#6 ·
Cheers gaz 1210 I've done that cos I use it for track days so there's not much left.

Gary - can I just unscrew the bit from the butterfly and then put the rest back together or is there anything else needs doing? anything special about the screws? does the throttle body have to be taken off to do it?

Cheers.

#9 ·
yep, thats my mod, remove restrictor (chocolate orange) and fill holes with epoxy ( araldite) and do a good job of the filling cos you dont want it falling in to the engine. if u dont fill holes the car will idle WAY too high. also while your at it do cam cover breather mod, clean out breather on front of engine, disconnect battery for a couple of hours and very thouroughly cleaning all of inlet system. i also found spraying a 600 ml can of holts carb cleaner(£1.05) down inlet while running at fast idle to help. also theres a holts decoke spray that goes down spark plug holes(£3.10) that semmed to make a lot of crap come out the exhaust and the car sounded a wee touch sharper. i got the spraycans from maccess. happy tuning! (PS attack the lower half of your airbox as much as you can, and pipe plenty of cold air to it. also theres a mod ive thought up but not tried out yet that might be worth a bash. get another washer bottle and wire the pump in paralell to the fuel pump, discnnect water pipes from throttle body and connect them together and use the second washer bottle to pump cold water through the throttle body and plumb a return back to the washer bottle (fill washer bottle with coolant) this would cool the inlet charge increasing power. (you may want to add a small motorbike radiator in line to further coo the water.)

#13 ·
Cheers for the advice I'll give it a go as I've done the airbox and breather mod so far. I thrash my car all the time too :D as its more a track day car.

#16 ·
J0B DONE :) Test Drive Done :) Result :D I noticed no reduction in smoothness but a noticable increase in throttle response and sharpness.....But a word of warning cavy did not give....u have to be a blood relative of Clark Kent to unscrew the wedge bit, when I took it off I used small bolts and nylock nuts to pug the holes so that I could put it back if there was no improvement. But there was and its free.......:D :D :D

#18 ·
Another point to note for those with 16v astras on the 8v's the air inlet to the airbox was on the bottom through the inner wing on the 16v's this hole is blocked off but the plate is only secured by 4 small tabs (therefore non load bearing) and it can be removed with a hammer and chisel to give good air flow into the bottom of a modded air box.

The next Hot Hatch day is nov 4th, hope ur van will be ready, I'll be there just look out for a plain red H plate valver with a full cage.

#19 ·
And the 24V Senator....................watching from the car-park coz I'm too scared to scratch it.:D

Weekennys Ashtray.....er.....I mean Astra.........,took me out for a quick jaunt t'other day.

FARKINELL!!!!

A bit swift off the mark. It was..er... rumoured that some random chap in a red rocket ship got 94mph between the Red Smiddy roundabout and the farm on the right. Doesn't mean much to you lot I know, but I recon that it is less than 1/4 mile. Another random chap in a Senator could only get 84mph.:mad: :mad: :D :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.