Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Fan belt query

694 views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  DarrenH 
#1 ·
Right without starting an arguement over what Im doing with my car, why would a fanbelt / alternator belt keep jumping off?

My theory is oil contamination from the recent oil cooler pipe leaks combine that with the recent damp making for very slippy pulleys?

The belt 1st came off last nite in Windsor and since then Ive driven the car back to Reading, drove to Vauxhalls this morning and from there to Lower early (about 8 miles) from there back to my house, have taken the wife to work and the belt jumped off again tonite as I was coming to work. I know when it came off because I was keeping a very close eye on the voltage gauge so basically its done a fair amount of mileage between jumping off.

Im gonna be putting the new belt on later when work settles down, thank god the car is in a nice warm underground garage.

#4 ·
Ive just put the new belt on and all I can say is thank **** it jumped off, the only thing holding the old belt together is the back webbing at one point. The teeth have lost 50% of their depth all the way round and the belt is twisted to ****.
I know what would have happened had that belt snapped.

Ive put the new belt on and examined it closely whilst its running and everything is in line with no wobbles from pulleys etc.

where the slider arm bolts to there are bushes inside.
Do you mean the big part of it thats held in place by a 13 mil bolt and has one end of the alternator earth strap attatched to it?

If so how much are they and do you have a part number, I will do that asap as a matter of course.

#5 ·
replace the altenator mounting bushes and the bush under the adjuster arm 16v describes (yes the one your thinking of mavv), these perish and allow the altenator to twist , the pulley angles towards the block and then the belt is prone to jumping and also accelerated wear.

#6 ·
Erm without sounding thick which mounting bushes ?
Do you mean where the alternator bolts onto the engine? Cant say ive ever payed that much attention to alternators as I have never really had a problem with one apart from changing the belts when they start to scream.

#9 ·
yeh. aparently you can use bushes from the pas pump mounts as an upgrade. i looked into this but its rubbish. altenator bushes have a sleeve through the middle, pas mounts do not. put pas bushes on the alenator and do up the pivot bolt and it just squishes the rubber.

i'm rambling, get new bushes.

#20 ·
i had a go when i ditched the PAS. the standard alt bushes had a flange and sleeve that slide through the middle, so you can only tighten them as far as the two tips of the flange touch.

the pas bushes had a sleeve molded into them but no flange on the end, so when the pivot bolt tightened it just crushed and distorted the rubber, and stopped the alt from pivoting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.