Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Courtney Power Cap/Power Box v Regal Power Cap....for cav gsi

2K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  VEGA 
#1 ·
Just flicking through Septembers Total Vauxhall Issue and came across a Courtney Advert for:

Courtney Mantzel Power Cap £149.50 (between 4hp-10hp depending on 2.0 16v XE egine spec)

What it does -
The Power Cap is an alloy casting which directly replaces the sfi box and simplifies the route taken by the intake charge. This conversion gives a power increase of between 4bhp and 10bhp depending on the engines's original spec. Courtneys have improved the original Mantzel design by adding a hose connection and silicon hose to the casting.

Courtney Mantzel Power Box £550.00 (Giving a massive 21bhp increase)

What it does -
Directly replaces the tortous inlet air system and simplifies the route taken by the intake charge, removing 7' pipework and 550 degree of bends.

First Question:
Didnt Regal sell the Power Cap for like £95.00? Whats the difference between the Courtney one and the Regal one then???:confused:

Second Question:
What would you go for the 1st oneor the 2nd one?
:D

*FAO Jaime gsi.........is the Power Cap you bought from any of these places? And if not whats the diff between yours and say Courtney or Regals' one?
cheers adam
;)

See less See more
#3 ·
I think Jamie may have bought his from V-Tuning. For the cap it's about £65 i think and then about £20 for the pipes required:) I'm sure Jamie will correct me if i'm wrong:D

I think his is not so much a cap, but an adapter plate. You then use an ecotec air pipe from the afm to the throttle body adapter.

#5 ·
u say about £85.00 for the whole kit then? Might aswell pay Regal for the full kit for £95.00 :confused: :rolleyes: or even courtney for the 149.50 power cap kit init...seems abit different to the others and it has blue hose :D :p

Vega..yeah that aint bad for the 21bhp though :rolleyes: :confused: :p its only for corsa's and the likes of 1.6's too.....:mad: :p

#6 ·
Courtenay-Mantzel Power Cap........

Courtenay-Mantzel Power Cap

The Power Cap for 2.0 16v XE engines as used in Astra, Cavalier and Calibra. The Power Cap is an alloy casting which directly replaces the SFi box and simplifies the route taken by the intake charge. The Power Cap will also smooth out the 2.0 16v low speed light throttle 'shunting' commonly associated with the engine. The conversion gives a power increase of between 4bhp and 10 bhp depending upon the engine's original spec. Courtenay Sport have improved the original Mantzel design by adding an idle control hose connection and silicon hose to the casting.

Is this like the same as Jamie's then...i guess both do the same job.....:rolleyes: :confused: :beer:

#11 ·
yup mines the v-tuning one, they all work on the same princaple but theres a huge difference in price, the regal is made from ABS plastic and ive heard of a few shattering:eek: , which is not good, mine is made from aluminim and i s well made.
it cost £60 for the adaptor plate and £12 for the hose from vauxhalls and £1 for a bit of hose from halfords, but i can tell you the v-tuning dont have asny left at the moment, its going to be about two weeks as i gott the last one:D :p , but its up to you what to get, heres what it looks like with correct pipes

#12 ·
Made mine yesterday and got the ecotec pipe (they had one in stock :eek: :confused: :p ), just need some gasket sealant and a bit of hose to extend the iscv hose. I made the adapter plate from 1/2 " thick perspex for now, if it is any good i'll knock one up out of aluminium. Hope it actually does something.

#13 ·
power cap

Adam have fitted the courtney power cap to my astra GSI, was easy to fit and looks good, difficult to say if it has increased horsepower, it has increased the tickover a little which is a bit of a pain,but which can be sorted by disconnecting the battery for about an hour or so, i suppose the only way to really be sure of the horse power gain is putting it on the rolling road for a before an after test, but that is expensive,

#14 ·
Been out for further testing in mine and it has got much louder than when i first fitted it. I had a bad flat spot at low revs and after every gear change due to a faulty AMM, that has gone and it feels like it's back to normal power which makes me think that with the AMM fixed it will be even quicker, and it really growls over 4K. It must be really loud from outside the car as when i stopped at the shop tonight someone said what have you done to your exhaust, it sounds awesome but of course it wasn't the zorst it was the throttle mod. Earlier i wasn't too sure about it but now it has sort of settled in it is great. And it only cost me £10 to do :D

#18 ·
I aint got that much power from it, in fact i'm not sure i got any but as i say the flat spots have gone, throttle response is better though it does seem more thirsty now :confused: but maybe thats just me driving it harder.

Yeah i made it myself. No pics unless i can get my cheapo camera working but i'll try. It is basically the same as the V-tuning one except made from perspex and a piece of plastic pipe but i'm gonna knock up an alloy one now. What i did was remove the sfi box and using cardboard make a templete then cut the shape from the perspex, drilled the bolt holes and marked the hole to cut out (was about 76-78mm in diameter i think but i can check later) in the same place as the V-tuning one and used a hole cutter to drill it. Then went into the cellar and found a bit of sturdy plastic plumbing pipe about the same daimeter as the hole (luckily it was an absolute perfect fit for the ecotec pipe) and cut about an inch off, then simply pushed it into the hole (wants to be a tight fit) till it was flush with the bottom of the plate and ran a bead of super strength epoxy resin round it.
When it comes to fitting it i used some thin cardboard to make a gasket (decided not to use sealant), 4 washers and 4 small nuts or you can remove the studs and use bolts. Buy the ecotec pipe part no 90411677 (about £10) and 8 inces of pipe to extend the iscv pipe. Apart from ordering the eco pipe and waiting for the epoxy to dry, it was a 10 min job.

#24 ·
Weren't Jamie GSi and Lee May going to get their cars rr'd to compare all the different set ups they had between the 3 cars. I believe Lee's Cav had standard SFI, while his Nova has the Mantzell power cap, and Jamie has the V-tuning version. Has it been and gone and I've missed it, or not happened yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.