Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

PLease Help, No spark? dodgy ECU?

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Station 
#1 · (Edited)
(*PICS*)PLease Help, No spark? dodgy ECU?

changed the engine in an astra i have, put in an newer 1.4spi from 1.6spi with DIS

the ecu i received with the engine is from a 1992-1993 car as i checked the numbers

now i cant get the car to run, there's no spark, new leads and i bought a new coil, but still no spark!! checked the power at the plug (coil plug) and it is reading just over 12v, nice and healthy!

I assumed that when i unplug the HT lead off the dizzy and turn the car over i should see a spark should i not???

im thinking now that the ECU is maybe at fault? could an earlier ecu do this?

and help widely appreciated ASAP

many thanks

kieran

#2 ·
What engine have you fitted? Bit confused.
Unplug any of the plug leads and you should get a spark when turning over, yes.
Does the ECU light come on with ignition and go off once the engines turned over for a couple of seconds? If not, re-check all the wiring to the sensors. Is the fuel pump running when the starters engaged?

#3 ·
sorry its a 1.4spi thats in there

i kno very well that there should b a spark when u pull off the plug, i asked if there should be a spark when u pull the HT lead off, although im pretty sure there should be

there's no ecu light on no, and thereothing wrong with teh fueling, its just the spark

#11 ·
right, ive changed the amp module, and checked its a working one on my mates car, all fine, as ive done with the coil, so neither of them, plus i have 17v going into the coil so im assuming thats what the amp does, push it up to 17v

right, the ECU if out of a 1992-1993 car, and im almost 100% sure the immob's didnt come in until about 1996-7 at least!

right just been to check, and i apologise, u were right, the ecu light does come on with the ignition and then go back out,

i think that the other astra's doesnt! so this may be gettin me somewhere! so if it doesnt come on, is the only reason that its not gettin power'd? i kno that ive re-soldered all the ecu wires, they're the ones in the round plug by the battery aint they

ill doube check them, ne other reason ecu light wouldnt come on, other than bulb?

cheers guys

gettin somewhere now, at last

#12 ·
ok so on the astra that wont start, the engine management (or ecu) light does not come on at all, so now i need to find why

couple of things i need to clear up tho, what is the pruple relay down by the ecu in the footweel, should i hear this clicking when i turn the ignition on

2nd, the round plug by the adapter, just down the loom from that there's a yellow plug, quite long, this is not plugged into ne thing, shoudl it be? or is it diag?

cheers chaps!

any help on why its not working or how i can find out appreciated

#13 ·
ok, looking through previous posts, it appears that the purple one is the fuel pump relay! mint!

so, i cant hear the relay clicking, and i cant get a spark, and i have no ecu light

so is it ECU related or sumit like crank sensor! please help me! need this thing runnin!

#19 ·
you need to check the 12v+ feed to the ecu. make sure this is connected to the ignition. on the engines i have wired up these are a black wire and it will be on the engine loom to chassis loom interface. if that is all ok, unplug the ecu and use a multimeter to check for voltage at the pin in the wiring loom plug( find out which pin in the haynes) it sounds to me that you have no ecu power as this flicks the pump relay, earths the coil etc etc

#20 ·
fuel pump relay is red/blue thin

fuel pump live is red/blue thick

disconnect the fuel hose, place into a jar and turn the key to one click before start.

Should have a jam jar of petrol if uve connected it right.

does the ecu light flash continuously when trying to start it?

change the crank sensor or check the wheel teeth clearance/clean the sensor face.

if uve gone back to a 1.4 spi u should have a distributor instead a DIS, check uve plugged in the new loom plug which goes under the dizzy, and check if the coil is giving a spark

#21 ·
JJ read through my posts mate, ive spent ages checking the coil and amp module, i think i would have remembered to plug it in mate

right, the fuel relay deffo is not coming on, there has never been a management light on the dash since i changed to lump

out with the multimeter and haynes me thinks

cheers lads

#22 ·
OK, at the round connector in the engine, the black plug has power, check the pins at the ecu, there's a few black one's, all but one have power

checked the connector at the fuel pump (brown + red/blue) neither have power, checked the fuel pump relay, all fine,

below is a pick of a random plug that i am unsure about, yellow on the end, and inside the plastic sheath the cable is red, can any one shed any light on this?

also it seems to me like there is not enough things, plugged onto the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.