Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Been Refurbing Wheels

5K views 122 replies 31 participants last post by  sultanhq 
#1 ·
Hey people, thought I'd share my effort with you lot ;) :D

This is similar to what the alloy looked like before

After repairing the kurbing, it was primed ;)

Now fully painted and lacquer'd

Only 4 more to go ;) and didn't cost me £40 a wheel lmao lmao

See less See more
#105 ·
mainejer said:
Ben, when you say keying the surface. is that slightly takin off the top layer of paint? i've been doing mine and its takin age's. only one left but its hard work. depends on condition i supose?
Yeah, just to give the new paint something to grab hold of.... just a light sanding, to take the shine off

Nice work people, glad people are trying it :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

#106 ·
zzi Adam....
Wot wheels u got man?
19" BK604's matey

ooops..i meant 16" :rolleyes: :p

mainejer Adam, my bum's a twichin at the thought, i've only got one to sand down now, got them nice and smooth. Don't think i'll have any problems at all. if it runs in just sand back again.

It's all i can think about.......hope they look good.

Just do them adam, there's nothing like nice new rims.
my bum twitches 24/7 with headwork :p

#109 ·
Nah, just a 2nd choice thats all.

I did a mockup of what they'd have ended up like and it didnt look right cracky anyway lmao

I dont like wasting money, Im just not good at hands on stuff and being creative like alot of people are. Id love to have a go at it but I dont have the time or want to do so. So might aswell spend money and it get it looking right first time.

:)

#110 ·
Just a couple of simple questions to Ben and the others who've repainted their wheels:

Were your wheels originally lacquered, or just painted? If they were lacquered, how did you get all the lacquer off without a chemical bath & removing the tyres? As far as I have read, no one's mentioned how they got the old lacquer off, and if you've just sprayed over the old lacquer the new paint will be flaking off within a few months, particularly if at some point the wheel starts to corode underneath the original lacquer.

The alloys on my Astra are fine, but the ones on my Turbo are marked and pitted (kerbed) in places, but what I've seen on this thread is tempting me to have a go. However, I know that to do the job properly, and produce a finish that will last, will involve stripping all the old lacquer off, using chemical metal to level-up the kerbing-pits, keying the surface, then respraying and relacquering.

So, how do you get the old lacquer off, huh?:confused:

#112 ·
mine where lacquered. just sanded back as ben said.

i can't stop looking at my primed wheels. two are covered in lovely primer, getting silver this week.

sanding down the 2 with primer on tomorrow to with wet&dry 800
to get better finish.

Another Questine Ben?

I took a print out of the photo you took of the base paint and the man in APC said what car is it off. which make? then started to tell me that because i'm useing spray cans. the paint is alot thinner so not to block the nozzel.........So i'm after the best silver paint that looks as close to chrome as you can get...Ben can you help???.

i really don't want something that looks like silver paint but like shiny metal. or is it a case of pick-a-make?.

cheers M

#117 · (Edited)
Think I'm gonna try this, cant afford to have them done professionally. I'm thinking of doing my wheels white, saves me all the hassel of looking for the silvers I suppose!

quick question, my wheels really have seen better days, in some places the surface has bubbled up and large peices have flaked right of. Under this the surface is all bumpy and corroded - does the same apply here as with at the top of this page? sand it down until its smooth and then bring it back up to the same level with the etch primer?

cheers!

#118 ·
If it's really bad, then Chemical Metal it back to a better level......... then etch primer it.

Well.... i can safely say that it's not a good idea to hit roundabouts with kerbs..... cos i just hit and scraped the edge up again :( that'll teach me to drive knackered.... oh well... not too difficult to redo :mad: :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.