Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Good roads in Scotland (south if poss)

691 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbodave 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I'm wanting to go on a few drives this summer, I'll travel for the right scenery and the right photo opportunities. I dont mind the backroads.

Has anyone got any recommendations for some really good roads? Any pictures you've taken that you want to share???

Ta

#3 ·
Ooooooh, good roads.....

Well there's the:-

A6112 from Duns to Grantshouse - fast sweeping bends with a nice tight, narrow part between Duns and Preston.

A7 from Carlisle to Gorebridge - sometimes busy, best done late at night or early morning

A199 (IIRC) aka The Coast Road - really technical and rewarding road if a little bumpy, starts at Port Seton ends on the old A1 near Dunbar.

St Mary's Loch Road "circuit"- Start at Moffat and head out towards Selkirk passed St Mary's Loch. Then head into Eskdalemuir, passed the Tibetan Buddist place, then up towards Lockerbie then over to Moffat again. Amazing scenery for Southern Scotland and amazing roads. The road from Moffat back up to Edinburgh isn't too bad either.

Countless roads in the Lammermuirs - My quiet play area, bumpy, rough roads used for the Jim Clark Rally. They have been known to break a few cars mind.

Then there's the Trossachs, a great play area, but starting to get a bit busy with tourists.

That's all for now :D

For pictures, just look through some of my random drives threads.

#4 ·
not really clued up on the south.

A bit further north, over the erskine bridge, MOD road to Faslane, north to rest and be thankful, then onto Inverary, north to Ballacluish bridge and then back down through Glen Coe.

#6 · (Edited)
awesome roads described on the last thread, I actually get paid to drive on them thankfully :D Out of my last 6 shifts I did 4 runs to ballachullish, round the kinlochleven mountain road (the way you had to go before the ballachulish bridge was built) and up to Caol on the far outskirt of fort william, 1 to Lochgilphead/ardrishaig/tarbert (which is up over the rest and be thankful and down to nverary then on another 40 miles ish) and the last one yesterday was a dull run to Aberdeen and back so we'll forget that one lol. It's more fun in the car than in an artic but it's still nice to get up there a lot, took the GTR up before I sold it and it was in it's element on those roads.

Year or so ago me and the wife took my old trusty GT TDi golf up the glen coe route to Inverness and on to Ullapool, then round the top of scotland to durness, john o'groats and back down to inverness via the other coast then down the A9 through the cairngorms to get back down, 3 days 2 nights trip, was great. Been meaning to do it again but with an r32 GTR and a 400 bhp Volvo nothing was quite economical enough to do the 800 mile trip lol, probably do similar now I've got the ecotech cally which is pretty good on fuel.

cut and paste this from my post elsewhere about it at the time

Drunken9 said:
Just back from my 4 day tour. 766 miles, 19 hours 14 mins of driving according to the trip comp, and an average mpg of 54.9 lol.

We did Lanark out to Glasgow and past Loch Lomond, up the A82 through fort william to inverness and then from there out to Ullapool, stopped there for one night, drove to Durness the next day and had a night there, then from there to Wick via John O'groats, spent the night in Wick, and then back down via inverness and down the A9 through the cairngorms, Jacq took 200 or so pics out the windows as we drove and I have some video as well which I'mn trying to get uploaded just now, bought a new PC and dont have the Roxio stuff to hand (packed it when I thought I was moving and cant find it) so using the basic stuff that came with the pc and it's struggling lol.

Some pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.