Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Mk4 Astra Gsi Project

18K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  Peteshood 
#1 ·
Here is my first project. I picked up this beast for £1,800.. 164k miles on the clock suspected faulty turbo, and rear wheel bearing gone, on the test drive the turbo still hit boost okay, grinding noise when it comes of spool and didn't seem to be over heading at all, and no cream in the head! I don't mind about the miles its going to get rebuilt and turned in to a track car.

my plan is to forge the engine, hybrid turbo, aiming for 330bhp, stripped out, roll cage the lot.

no messing about had the car a few days and its up on axle stands getting stripped!

On further inspection this appears to have a vxr turbo! this should save me some money on the hybrid!

every bloody bolt was rusted to shit had to drill them out!

just

Just a few hours work in preparation to get the engine out tomorrow!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/img3902l.jpg/

See less See more
#31 ·
Those gears on the crank shaft to the gears on the balancer shaft, which I assume produces an posited direction of forces to balance it out but that frame weighs like 12kgs so it takes a lot of power from the engine to turn them hence I'm getting rid, as would anyone looking for real power ;)

#32 ·
yeah, the one you have is from the Z20LET and I was thinking about C20LET.

#33 ·
You don't want to get into the debate about how these work or what the harmonics issue is but basically the physics means 4 pot engines vibrate and manufactures use these to counter the vibration as best possible to lower them to make the car more comfier and quieter mainly.

If you're making a track day car you hardly care about that :lol:

#53 ·
I feel your pain, am on a government issued cutback myself and am lucky to still have work for 2 days a week. What's even more painful is that my job's location and description (executive manager/wrench monkey of a maintenance and wash/detail shop for a taxi company), plus the location of the paint shop and a reputable parts company only a few doors down the road could not make for a more perfect situation project wise :(

#54 ·
Have a question about your project, did you buy any books on how to build your engine and if so how did you distill the useful information from that? I've got a few because I wanted to start reading into what one needs to know and calculate but they all lack a practical approach (in my opinion) with a bit too much and unclear theoretical gibberish.

#55 ·
I've read 2 books 1 is how to design and build a turbo system, and one is advanced engine tuning and calibration, I just got a book from Rabbid today that it the next step up and calibrating and tuning fuel injection systems. But before that I did 2 years at Brooklands college studying motorsport engineering, did work experience for a Welch motorsport (they do British touring cars) and mclaren. Before that I did a motor vehicle repair and technology course at college, and even before that I built a tarmac stage rally car with my dad. So cars have always been my passion, and always had a pretty good knowledge, now I just to refine it, and learn more about mapping. Ill post some pic and ISBN numbers up tomorrow about what books I've got/read.

#56 ·
This pretty much give you an understanding of most types of engine and different components. This is the book I had to read when I was at college.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Engine-Technology-Heinz-Heisler/dp/0340568224

This book tells you everything you need to know to make calculated decisions about veriours parts of hardware you buy, tells you how to size your turbo for what you want, how to size your exhaust system (you realise you really don't need a 3" at 300bhp lol) how to design the best type of intercooler.... ect

Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems: Designing, Testing & Installing Turbocharger Systems Engineering and Performance: Amazon.co.uk: Corky Bell: Books

This starts to tell you about the electrical side of things, and how you go about calibrating and why.

Engine Management: Advance Tuning Performance How-To S-A Design: Amazon.co.uk: Greg Banish: Books

this is suppose to be the next book on from the last haven't read it yet but will be soon!

Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems: Amazon.co.uk: Greg Banish: Books

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.