Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

My GTE 16v

5K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  Tomo195 
#1 · (Edited)
So i picked up a well used and abused gte 16v as something to hack about in and mess about with when im in the mood.

It need a little bit of everything so it will take me a while to get through it all.

When i got it home the work began on the engine bay. Interested to see how much of a mess prev owners had made behind the scenes :lmao:

Not looking so nice when its all stripped away

First off was to degrease and clean everything down, all surface rust was treated with a special treatment that seals the metal after and this allowed me to tidy up the paintwork and also refresh the brake servo.

Cleaned up the header and washer tank and fitted a new washer bottle cap as the one on it was not from a vaux, checked my new distributer fitted and fitted my new fuel regulator.

First shopping list is as follows

Bottom arms
track rod ends
cambelt kit
alternator belt
power steering belt
upper gasket set
anti roll bar drop links
topmounts
oil and filter
longlife antifreeze
ecowreck sump gasket
sent caliper brackets and aluminium double under drive engine pulley to be hard anodized.
Filter king fuel pressure reg+filter with pressure gauge.
facet fuel pump
pug 205 dizzy cap and rotor arm
new plug leads

I think its going to soak up a fair bit of cash

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: My gte 16v

Everyone has their own ideas of clean, and your right pics hide a million sins. It will need new rear arches, but ill probably replace foot wells and sills at the same time to make it all good. Id say its a good car in tatty abused condition. It will be in regular use and it will certainly see a few track days (hence not buying an immaculate one).

#5 · (Edited)

I have 3 pet hates with new (used) vauxhalls that i have to resolve as soon as i buy.

New gear gaiter, and new rubber gear link bush to remove that wobbly gearstick feeling.

and the third is a new bonnet stay clip, nothing worse than a broken bonnet stay clip!

#8 ·

Very nice mate, whats the plan for it? A clean daily car, one for your museum or track car?

I have a few bits of trim, glass etc left over from my GTE. If you want anything come have a look :)

#9 ·

Ta, just a general hack about and for the odd trackday nothing as funky as yours bud.

I do need afew bits of trim, driver side outer seat rail cover and both outer seat pivot covers have cracks in them.

#10 ·

Your welcome to come have a look on my shelves for anything you may want, rather see it used than in the bin. Not sure what I have tbh, you guys stripped out pretty well when you tracked it haha

#12 ·

Ah, you added the shopping list after I posted :lmao:

Any reason for the pug 205 dizzy cap and rotor arm?
I needed the pug cap as the vauxhall one (shown above) was to close to the pas resevoir to get the leads on. The pug one is at 90 degrees instead of straight.

#14 ·

dam, "well used and abused"? i think that looks great, well from what i can see anyway,

do like the colour id love one, when you selling it? :thumb:

also where do you buy the rubber gear link bush bud?
Thanks, will probably never sell it but if i do ill let you know.

got the bush from vauxhall 50p

#16 ·

breather plate modded

Had to drill off the heads on the bottom pulley bolts as someone had attacked them with a torqs drive instead of a star drive.

and a little swappage

#18 ·

looks nice mate! :) you leaving the GTE wheels on?
Id like to but id also like to fit my 300mm disks, so i may just swap to turbo rims but that means a 5 stud conversion. I have some wheels in mind but finding a set wont be easy as they are quite old.

#20 ·
Cam and plug cover finished

bung for my rear water pipe with bleed back to head and header tank.

Inlet manifold drilled and tapped for brake servo take off

#29 ·

So its coming along slowly, cams in and torqed up. Modded back plate and painted, cam pulleys back on with new belt, tensioners, and water pump.

Now im thinking about wheels, what do you think to 16" steel wheels painted silver?

#30 ·

New genuine rubber floor mats

New gear gaiter

Rev limiter, launch control and flat shift unit arrived, should be a laugh.

Cam cover back on with new gasket, timing all done, new leads and plugs. Gave the heat sheild a quick refurb as it was looking a bit ropey. Water pipes finsihed, throttle cable sorted. Fuel pipe inlet needs moding on the left carb so i can keep the fuel pipe route neat. Need to try and find a good oil catch tank to sit where the airbox would go.

Should be able to see if it runs soon.

#32 ·
Finally autovaux delivered the wrong engine mount so i cracked on to fit it.

silicone filled it

And ripped the old mount appart with little effort and sliced up the mount to make a spacer for the new one.

Nearly done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.