Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

My GTE 16v

5K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  Tomo195 
#1 · (Edited)
So i picked up a well used and abused gte 16v as something to hack about in and mess about with when im in the mood.

It need a little bit of everything so it will take me a while to get through it all.

When i got it home the work began on the engine bay. Interested to see how much of a mess prev owners had made behind the scenes :lmao:

Not looking so nice when its all stripped away

First off was to degrease and clean everything down, all surface rust was treated with a special treatment that seals the metal after and this allowed me to tidy up the paintwork and also refresh the brake servo.

Cleaned up the header and washer tank and fitted a new washer bottle cap as the one on it was not from a vaux, checked my new distributer fitted and fitted my new fuel regulator.

First shopping list is as follows

Bottom arms
track rod ends
cambelt kit
alternator belt
power steering belt
upper gasket set
anti roll bar drop links
topmounts
oil and filter
longlife antifreeze
ecowreck sump gasket
sent caliper brackets and aluminium double under drive engine pulley to be hard anodized.
Filter king fuel pressure reg+filter with pressure gauge.
facet fuel pump
pug 205 dizzy cap and rotor arm
new plug leads

I think its going to soak up a fair bit of cash

See less See more
#34 ·
Thanks, done so much stuff you cant see but im pleased with it. If it runs ill be even happier then ill start work on the drive train.... by then it will probably need re shelling lol

Yep been dumping today and again tomorrow morning but hey ho it needs doing. didnt miss the dohnut though! :O)

#43 ·
Well , had a mare of a job with this fecking car. fitted some fast road cams from steve boy slim and when started had a nice tapping noise that sounded like it was coming from cylinder one... hmmm thats odd!

So borrowed a bore scope and had a peek, only to find that at some point in its life the piston had been fitted backwards!! so the fast road cam had caused the valve to tap the top of the piston becuase the valve pocket was in the wrong place.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Much swearing and a little while later the head was off and the sump.. apon further inspection i find the piston was the correct way round on the rod just the rod that was the wrong way!! Nice.

so i dropped the piston and rod out to find number 2 piston ring was half missing!

At this point i thought it best to drop all pistons out and check them. Bearings were mint and so were the pistons so cleaned everything up and fitted all new rings and slotted it all back together with ARP rod bolts and some steve boy slim head studs.

This all happened last year and it sat half done on my drive untill yesterday when i finally got it all back together becuase i needed to move it to the back of the pile to get access to my corsa and calibra. I need to get the carbs serviced as i cant get it to idle properly for shit but anything over idle is sweet as.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Soon it will be shipped off for major surgery including new inner and outer arches, sills and foot wells, and possibly a wing or 2 and anything else that is close to falling off thanks to my good pal Mark.

#48 ·
Yeah got tucked up by a guy on MK2 astra forum, he had undersealed it all and said it had all been welded, it must have had a dodgy mot becuase no way it should have passed. If i didnt have much money in it id have stripped and scrapped it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.