Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

R1 4xv rwd micra k11

31K views 73 replies 24 participants last post by  tim20 
#1 ·
Hi, been gathering parts together over the last few weeks to build my rwd micra. I did fancy doing a mini but there's lots about and are more expensive than a micra to buy with the same amount of rust :)

Finally found a micra and picked it up last night, didn't plan on getting much time this weekend to make a start but i have had a few hours, managed to stip all bits from inside out i dont need, exhaust and heat shields off, shafts half out, engine and box dropped in one need some more time to get it out tomorrow hopefully. Few pics of car progress today, pics of bits sorted to come.

stripped inside to sell bits i dont need. thinking of keeping carpet door cards full dash etc in.

on patch that needs welding. exhaust and heat shields to be removed more to sell.....

Engine and box nearly out just a few bits to disconnect at the rear and pull loom through. bay should clean up nicely looks like oil leak has protected the bay :face:.

Sprocket and oil/grease can made by Douglas from westgarage engineering. Very well made, all to size a good tight fit and top man, very helpfull.

mx5 lsd shafts and uprights etc. will possibly need a shaft shortening as its about 5" wider than the micra track. should sit flush with arches on standard offset 13" steelys.

See less See more
#33 ·
Cheers guys, not much progress as I've been working lots of hours day and night at work so haven't done much. Wirings been on top of the list and it's been a bu**er bubim getting there..... Got a spark tonight when turning over i plan on putting up what you actually have to do to get a R1 running with a car ign barrel and just the r1 engine loom by bypassing various bits. All speedo is wired in and all bits on it work as they should but I need to add temp and rad fan fuel pump back into loom. Or run them separate not sure yet. Really glad to be having a spark now as I've been scratching my head for 4 or 5 nights. Will have a full day Friday on it and hopefully some time say/ sun to get her near completion then back in sun on nights. Will update over weekend thanks for comments appreciate them

#35 ·
another little update, done a few bits.
tidied up some wiring not finished yet, put a 1k resistor between fuel signal and signal ground for clocks so the 8,000 rpm code doesn't come up without a fuel level sensor and also removes the light coming on.

made brackets under car for pipework.

started on exhaust today tacked up half of it got some more flanges coming for the pipe to can part.

fitted hyd handbrake and run lines from master cyl to h/brake rears still to run.

fitted clutch springs on pedal from a series landrover and fitted clutch cable.

getting closer now.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Auto part Tire Vehicle Suspension Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Auto part Family car City car

Engine Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Car

Vehicle Car Auto part

Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Auto part Car

#37 ·
superb!! Is the rear axel fixed or is that a small diff? how have you connected up a reverse gear?

do you have to upgrade the clutch for the exta weight?

#39 ·
Cheers for all comments, as for reverse non fitted as yet (going to see of I can live without it). There aren't really proper proven cheap kits for cars above 500kg a cheap basically a starter motor kit is about 300 so if I need one eventually I'll make my own setup.

As for clutch standard one is left in until it wears out will then upgrade it a few different types I know of barnet clutches and Yec racing clutches. But tbh have t looked into it all that much as yet.

Getting closer to near drive able should be back on her wheel hopefully by Tuesday as I've got a mot welding job to do on a astra tues- need some garage space. Will update with some pics in a few days on with making exhaust it's half made waiting on a pair of flanges. Brake lines and flexi brackets to make. Tighten wishbones susp to rear etc then she can be driven windows to tint n bulkead to make after. :)

#40 ·
I know a few people that talk about doing something like this, they make out like it would be simple. But it's not just bolting in a engine and off you go. Fairplay, I'm well impressed with your progress. Love the dash, are you gonna hide it all or, leave it on show?

#41 ·
Cheers, it just takes time. It's pretty easy hardest part I thought was going to be mounting the diff tensioning and bearing carriers etc but was easy parts were made by Douglas Anderson at west garage engineering I will use him again in he future good prices good work and great helpfully guy.

Dash and all fronts staying as it is door cards carpets etc and there's a bulkhead to separate engine from front. Which will get carpeted and acrylic window in just for a tease (and to see if it's on fire)

#42 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car Metal Engine

exhaust and chain guard made, exhaust still to wrap waiting on another sump first as this one had a hair line crack in it.... so i might be getting held up soon.

Floor Automotive exterior Wood

started on bulkhead its now half in again waiting for sump so i can put header back on easily.

Bumper Red Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

keeping it looking standard a dummy exhaust......

Vehicle Car Auto part Chassis Engine

Dont know if i mentioned i fired her up other day for first time. very loud with just the header on. sounded good tho :)

#43 ·
Been a bit busy lately, did manage to get out for a few drives in it before over pulling the clutch cable and pulling the end plate the pressure plate pushes onto. Was an engine out job but didnt take long to get in and out. Fitted a barnet clutch while i was there and an adjustable stop onto clutch pedal.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Subcompact car

left to do is get it dynojetted on rolling road.
make carb spacers for better brake servo pressure.
Air feed to air filter area. all bits orded should be fully finished soon...

Vehicle Car Family car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback City car

#47 ·
Time for an update. Wasnt happy with the old micra did around 50 miles in it. then took it to bits, and started to build this one up. Have learnt a lot form the old one and made a note of all the bits im not happy with to iron out this time. Main one being not been able to insure it properly. So here goes.

molly on her first day

nearly fully stripped in an hour or so

panhard rod made using old rods bush and rose joint. Used something I learnt at school (i did come in handy after all...) worked out with 80mm drop the length of the panhard should go from 815 I think it was to 800mm. Will be laser aligned when done.

did cut the bolt down and spray it up.

How to fit corsa b front struts without changing top mounts. elongate the actuall strut to upright holes. Mark where strut new top mount bolts go to as shown. I welded on some washers just mainly to cover up old holes and put a bit of strength back in.

front only lowered here, on highest setting on corsa b coilovers. front will be set to match 80mm rear lowering.

brake upgrade to gtir calipers and discs. to confirm what most people say. need a spigot ring to fit disk to hub keep it central. 1mm spacer for caliper. And will fit under standard micra 14" steel wheels. still to paint and refurb calipers

above were test fitting on old micra hence avo shocks

Too daft for a micra? think im going to go with something a bit more standard. same route as original.

rear springs to stick in now sat on cut rears just to check sizes etc.
later to come fitting a rear arb when it hasn't already got one, same with front but mounts are already there.
fitting custom cages cage/gussets
buckets/harnesses
engine in all plumbing rad batt, gear cable exhaust.
speedo to wire in.
paint various underbody bits, waxoyl.
maybe strut braces

also a few weights of different bits just out of interest. Doors a bloomin heavy.

doors each 26.4kg
Bonnet 13.7
Boot 16.1
dash 18.1
sound deadning carpets 6.6
std 1l calipers 3.6
gtir calipers 4.8
old discs 6.4 pair
gtir discs 11.8
rear 1.4 glass each 1.9
persepx 3mm .6

#51 ·
with the rear end been chopped up and double wishboned i wouldnt be able to insure it correctly without having an engineers report or iva not sure what id need. and there were a few bits i wasnt happy with. so cutting my losses and making one im 100% happy with :)

#57 ·
There's something fishy going on, and our lass' legs are shut before that suggestion gets thrown in!!
Bit strange how the pics from the new car are full size where as the pics from the red one are small. And the eBay sellers name is Mick something, not Tom.

However, we must not jump to concludings for the upgradings just yet.

#58 ·
Hi, cheers yes it was but decided not to sell and do a fwd micra there was a few bits I wasn't happy with and I couldn't really insure it legally. So it's going in the front. Was going to be A 1.8vvc k series but decided against that r1 sound from a micra is much better :) just the engine to come out o old one now.
MICRA K11 FWD R1 160BHP 12,000RPM 650KGS? | Micra Sports Club

#62 ·
Hello everyone again, thanks for the comments. What happened i listed the red micra on ebay, yes its me mick5048. And after a friend comming and looking at the car fired it up etc and realised i shouldn't be getting rid so i bidded on it myself to win the car was within last 12 hours.

Hence all the bits for the new one are off the old one or most of them. You'll see the old cradle going into the new one soon just for sizing everything up. Will start making cradle up soon.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.