Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

novavan re-shell redtop T45s

19K views 149 replies 43 participants last post by  TigraTurbo 
#1 ·
with buying a house and thing's my nova has been sat in the garage for about 3 years waiting for me to get some time to sort it out!
but now with getting married next year i've been told that its going to be my wedding car so with that kick in the ass i've got the love back for the old girl and started work on her

how she used to look

it was running a nova sport engine with 143-144 real sport carb's loved the sound but want some more power so going for a red top with twin 45 this time around

arter a good poke around the van to seam's to be rotting from the inside out the arch's and engine bay are fine but from inside the legs are going likes its not been coated right when it was made i've had it 6-7 years and alway been paited or under sealed but once the rot is in its in!!!:(
so the hunt was on

out with the old in with the new:beer:

See less See more
#38 ·
yesterday started with a trip to see the old nova i can't put any pic's of it up it would make me cry:( but got the next lot of parts off it to clean up and paint fot the new one:nod:

the old nove was clean on the out side but ....how shall i put it .. user friendy underneth so it was covered in waxoil and underseal which i have now come to hate i was black as after taking the tank and fuel line's offlmao

and after an hour and some thinner's

so this week's job's are to get the tank painted and fitted and the beam back on.

and find a new filler neck as it was fecked... all the rubber's and pipe's are in a bucket of soap in the garden turn the T.V and watched the f1 when cleaning them:p

#40 ·
I did the same with my old nova and never had a problem, cause i thought when rolling the lip the outter arch would never look right:confused:

but with this one (great mind's must thing alike garylmao) i've spot weld the skin's in about 8 places a long the seam:beer:

#43 ·
thanks pal will do.. i'm putting some more pic's up in a bit. your second pic i must of seen on here years ago cause i've got that so must of nicked at some point lol! been my profile pic on facebook ha

yeah kev thats me in the back ground! stopped in billing the night before that pvs for a good night sleep.

#42 ·
I spot a bum in the back ground of the second pic - wait its you Grant lmao it is gorgeous the Van

Ive got a even older picture of it ;)

#44 ·
this week has been slow :( after cleaning my old tank up and and painting it i held it up in to place .......... it just didn't look right the edge's had been a little rusty and the paint didn't look right so thought i'd give it ago again! till i went home and went on ebay now i have thislmao

a new 1 ltr nova tank..... with only one fuel outlet thats why i thing it was no good to anyone else but with me running twin 45 webers WINNER !!!!!:beer:

the last job was to re-build my spare rear beam i've had the brake line's and bush's sitting in the garage for years just never fitted them to the old nova

i had to get it fitted back on cause my dad works in italy but home sunday and always give's it me in the neck if his garage is like a sh$t hole!!! didnt want to fit the srings as they are in the powder coating pile.
so some 2inch s\s pipe is doing the job for now just to move it out to clean uplmao

not going to get anything done till sunday now off the pub friday and the pageant of power saturday:beer:

#47 ·
alight lads not got to much done this last week but done a jod i've been putting off:( i was going to mount the alternater on the front of the engine and not cut the leg but with time in mind and only ten months to go i had to do it didn't get many pic's when doing the leg

got a box of bits in the post tuesday but couldn't remember ordering anythinglmao so looked in the box and found these

checked my ebay and seen and i paid for them at 2am saturday night:beer::beer::beer::beer:lmao

so looking for where they are going to live

oh also put my fuel tank bank on just waiting on samco to sort my filler pipe

#51 ·
alight chap's got a move on yesterday was in the garage from 9 till 6 so a full shiftlmao
of sanding and spraying and prep'ing after spray the floor plan i thought i'd have a go at some more....... how bad it could be if i f$£k it up! lol so with my 20 pound gun this is what its come out like!!!!:beer:

now spraying in here was a right pain in the ass!!

this was the hardest to do by far :nod:

front panel painted to!

i'm not a painter or any where near!!!! i'm a welder.. but would tell anyone to have a go your self. i've been loving trying to do this myself!!!

but monday i'll be wet and drying some bit's lollmao

#57 ·
right been a few weeks but i've not stopped not had a day to myself:( but i've tryed to get a bit done:beer: one of the wing's had rust behind the bumper so after week's of looking for a gm wing with no luck!!!! i had a friend with some bits and bob's and a spare rep wing so off with the end and now my wing look's like this.....

also the fleet in the back ground the every day landrover........:( the weekend type r.......:) to be up for sale once the nova is done:(

now waiting for the bodyshop for room to fit the nova in i've been looking for job's to do to make my self feel better i'd sort the carpet job done no carpets just mat's no sound deading eather done easy......

also i thought it was time to pull the loom out of the old nova

please note the hammer rash from fitting the radio at the top of the dash where the heaters where..... not going back there this time
so after an hour or so this is what i ended up with plus the alarm is still wired in too!!!!
never to work again:doh:

when it came to the refit i've pull out the radio wire's and one or to others throught i'd start with this and then pull it in to the car as i go

got some more pic's on my phone will get them off later:cool:

#60 ·
the loom is now fully fitting just to help me every wire end has tape with what it is on the end just incaselmao i've fitted and peddel's and heater box too

in transit from garage to garage my dash had took a beating:( one of the bolt that hold it in place had worked free?

so armed with some epoxy glue

and to make sure it was going in the right place i came up with this little number

lmao

#61 ·
just a few more went the garage the weekend and to take the door's off and get the engine crane in ready to take the engine out my old nova first time its seen day light in over a year or so some nugget (me) has taken the steering column off so had some mole grip's on the steering rack to get the wheels straightlmao

still looking good under here, i'm going to have to find something for this to go in:beer: i fancy a mk 1 sr or a standard nova just with it in???

#65 ·
not at all on the outside pal arch's both still perfect, when i did the engine bay i changed the front panel.

but for underneth???????? the day i put it in the other garage and took the wheel's off i did think ' am i doing the right thing? i've spent 5 years on this' then the axel stand's went in to front leg's thought yep ...... but it still looked good it was rusting from the inside out? like it wasn't dipped right.

#66 ·
this week is not going well:( i was hoping to drop the nova off for the out side spraying wanted it doing this weekend cause i'm going away next week so was hoping it would get done then (kill two bird's with one stone:confused:)
but still had to get a move on so some good bit's .... bit's back from powder coating and a box of bolt's ansd bit'sdipping and plating!

got more bit's going in a few week's but not bad for 50 squids
took my nova TD servo a once over and got my buffer on the mount for it too:)

p.s had the servo bottle in the dishwasher!!! but what she don't know!!!lmao

took the hub's in to work and had the dia grinder on the to remore as much sh~t as possible, after i removed the bearing and painted the hub.

more bit's back on, it's getting bad now don't like putting dirty bit's back on so been using stianless steel bolt to put back togerther

:nod:

when the H/H plate where fitted the front anti roll bar bolt hole need drilling but my drill is to big:doh: it hitting the slam panel so going to to the 45" drill from work ing the morning so more tomorrow

gutted i'm going to miss a week but got to keep the boss happy lol:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.