Astra mk3 - project/tidy up. (GSi rep)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Astra mk3 - project/tidy up. (GSi rep)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Re: astra mk3 - project/tidy up. (GSi rep)

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Balallan View Post
    Good progress murray!
    Getting there slowly man!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier-C20LET View Post
    rocker cover and plug cover came up good eh, nice one, ill check that bonnet the night
    Ach not too happy with rocker cover yet but its oraaat!
    Project/tidyup - mk3 astra c20xe

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Alright,

This is what i've been up to the within the last week. Pretty boring update but its all in prep for getting the engine fitted hopefully very soon.

Currently waiting on a few bits I've ordered..

New clutch kit
    Cool running thermostat
    New header tank

Will need to order GM filters, plugs, oil and gaskets too.

Mainly just been painting and so what this week

Had painted the dipstick holder with high temp paint then gone for a gloss finish final coat (non high temp) re-acted so was taken back to metal and re-paint

Non primed, final product.

Power steering bracket

Gave my 4-1 magnex manifold a couple coats of high temp paint I had left over, Not really needed as i'm heat wrapping it

New brake servo. One onit was leaking, new ones in fine condition though

Also 'new' steering rack as mine although in better condition was f*cked

Spent a couple hours sorting them out

Also done the power steering pipes and ones on the rack and a couple more brackets but no pictures.

Had an issue with master cylinders, As I'm not having abs I couldn't use the unit I got with the servo. The one I'd had previously was a small block servo/master cylinder? Was different mountings anyway. White astra I bought previously donated the correct one though, in the picture its the middle one.

Was gonna paint master cylinder but it should clean up good, only bits that wouldnt was where it mounts so painted them black. Heres a mock up

After stripping down the inlet I had to replace a couple gaskets so set about doing that!

To realise.. I'd done it wrong

Take 2

Painted

Got it rolling again on Saturday once the rack was fitted, Also removed the skirts. I've got a sprayer coming to see it tomorrow to talk prices and what for respraying the full car.

2 tone but solid

Latest upgrade.. Another gearbox.

F16CR gearbox Already have an F20 that I spent hours degreasing and cleaning, now having to do it all again

Degrease/pressure washing

Getting moneyzzz worth..

Primered

Painted

Once painted I noticed this small hole, I'm assuming not meant to be here? Its beside the drop off pan

Looks perfectly shaped but not sure what script is?

Thats all for now, should hopefully have more to update with soon.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Gsi

Top job on what your doing. Finished car will be nice with all your time and effort. Hi5.

Drives
    Astra van & Cavalier SRi

Top work as always Murray
    Vauxhall Astra Van 1.7DTi- T22 JFF
    Pre-Facelift Vauxhall Cavalier SRi - J551 AHJ

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    1.4NovaSR & 2 Nova saloon

Looking good Murray. Coming together nicely.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    1.3sr nova & corsa sport

top work mate looks like it getting there!! will be sweet when its resprayed matey!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_Online View Post
    Top job on what your doing. Finished car will be nice with all your time and effort. Hi5.
    Thanks man! Hopefully it'll be all worth while

Quote Originally Posted by Th0m45 View Post
    Top work as always Murray
    Cheers matey

Quote Originally Posted by car_mental View Post
    Looking good Murray. Coming together nicely.
    Not fast enough for my liking.. it'll get there though!

Quote Originally Posted by wudgey_sr View Post
    top work mate looks like it getting there!! will be sweet when its resprayed matey!!
    cheers, yeah having it sprayed will be a big improvement! I've got a quote for spraying and it'll be going ahead however it'll be a few weeks yet, I'm wanting to get it running before I put the wings back on. Respray is last on the list to be honest!

Got a couple wee updates to do when photo bucket starts playing ball.. Nothing great though. Still waiting on my clutch so big hold back, If it doesn't come today then it'll be a boring weekend. Got another set of struts to try though.. thanks cavalier-c20let

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe cavy cdx, astra zlet

Good work looking good, Any more updates ? I was out using the wash bay other day and went to have wee look but she was all wrapped up.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Quote Originally Posted by taz c View Post
    Good work looking good, Any more updates ? I was out using the wash bay other day and went to have wee look but she was all wrapped up.

Yeah just gonna do this weeks progress! awright yeah, that must've been a couple weeks back? When I was changing the rack I couldnt shift the car so had to be left outside so threw a cover over it!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Another week down but heres the most recent updates!

Got all the bits I'd ordered the weekend previously throughout the week, Had ordered the clutch the earliest and was hoping to get it by Wednesday.. it came on Saturday morning

New header tank

Cool running thermostat

Clutch kit

Had noticed the box had a slight hole init beside the drop off pan last Sunday night, Done a wee help thread up here and as suspected it was just a hole where the top at the top of the bolt.. wasn't right threw to the diff Wouldn't have even needed to cover it but I done so anyway with some chemical metal just to look legit, No pictures really. Gearbox has been a ball-ache this week, Between holes, paint not setting, re-actions, fingerprints etc etc.

Fitted the brake servo earlier on in the week, no pictures. Also painted a couple wee brackets and that but I've been forgetting to picture everything.

Was hoping to have the clutch earlier in the week so the engine could have been built up to be dropped in on Friday night however it only turned up on Saturday lunchtime. Went to the local autoparts store once clutch was here to pick up an inlet gasket.. Could've ordered one easy enough and been prepared however I'd assumed they'd have one in stock so never bothered. Assumed wrong.

Didn't want this to hold the weekends plans though

Engine had been stripped down to a small extent

Sump removed - Sorted broken sump bolt

Starter, alternator, inlet, clutch etc.. mainly all for painting.

Will let pictures do the rest.

Power steering pipes fitted

Engine going in

Didn't really do much over the week at all as I was waiting on parts but played catch up on the weekend.. Had help from rob, Was long hours and a lot of mixed up bits, bobs, bolts etc but managed anyway.

This week should see the engine plummed/wired in and (maybe) running. Will also be ordering heat wrap for manifold, front wheel bearings and maybe a few more goodies this week.

South Western Regional Co-ordinator
    Drives
    Astra Mk3 20xe

I'd do something like this with my mk3, but its a 5door and going for the sleeper style look with an early 20xe lump in it, should be done soon!! Just had to pretty much rebuild it from bottom upwards!! Just wiring and few bits to do and its there!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Sounds good, Have you put a project thread up on it? My first mk3 astra I got 2 years ago when I was 17 was a 5door! Had a few GSi goodies and a 2.0 ecotec, heres a pic:

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe cavy cdx, astra zlet

Ye it was a week last Friday bud had merc van in getting bath before mot. Good progress there should be running soon eh

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Well thought I'd updated this last Sunday but clearly not..

Anyway,

2 weekends ago the engine was fitted - previous update

Following the engine being fitted I wasn't wanting to hang about getting it started, Went into work on the Monday and decided to take the Tuesday off to get the wiring sorted.

Having never wired in anything before I decided to try get some know-how by reading over how to's on a couple forums. Feeling over confident I was thinking it would be running by the Tuesday night, possibly Wednesday.. infact I was confident enough to even bet a boy at work that it would be running by the Friday It wasn't. Never really got much pictures off this stage.

Tuesday - 19/02/13

Got a local xe round to have a wee glance over as to where things would go. Mine being a coilpack and it being a dizzy meant a couple things were different.

Wiring partly done, This was it in place and connected. Spent the following Wednesday/Thursday/Friday trying to get the head round some loose end wires, connections, earths, starting wiring. Also fitted new spark plugs, oil + filter and thermostat.

Friday - 22/02/13

Finally got dash lights on and had the car turned over for all of 2seconds, then nothing. Done a couple checks, battery, earths but turned out that the starter had gone lazy.

Saturday - sourced another starter to try, made a start heat wrapping manifold.

Sunday - Fitted other temp starter and it was turning over no problem. Happy.

Realized on the Monday after work although I had dash lights, turning over and spark it wasn't priming the fuel pump and I wasn't getting a management light.

Put the management light not being on down to the dials maybe not having the bulb in, however they did.

Switched relay from a local cavalier and still no joy.

Never really had any progress from the Monday onwards, Put it down to wiring but couldn't find the fault. Arranged for a few boys to come check it at the weekend and just waited on that. Got my rear gsi beam and struts shot blasted though..

Friday after work spent another couple hours trying things on the wiring on the astra, Still no priming fuel pump. Cavalier-c20let then had a look and noticed something which explained a lot..

The block connector pictured although connected fine never lined up the correct wires. Soon joined a few up as they should have been and the pump primed - happy.

This was late on Friday night however I wasn't going home until it fired or at least tried to.

No return fuel pipe
    Breather pipe
    Rad pipes
    Idle control unit
    Air box
    Manifold

However quickly threw on an fuel pipe and second turn she fired, Didn't run it long but it gave plenty motivation. Heres a short video.

Saturday I picked myself up a MK2 SRi 1.8 8v white 3 door (do a reg check if you dont believe me)

A genuine SRi..

This sh*tbox 1.4 single point ex write off rotter will help me out though. Got it for nothing as the owner wanted rid, It had no mot, tax and plenty holes. Also seems to have caught something as all the paint comes off it, however it does drive, is a mobile shed and does actually have some parts of use to me. (tint top wind screen, boot struts, loaaaads of clips etc)

Soldered and shrink wrapped some wiring today, Got more to do but started where needed most as I took out the block connector.

Interior removed + hoovered - big progress, was long overdue.

Also came across this underneath the drivers seat/carpet??

Thats all for now though. Hopefully this week will see some updates, Would like to finish bay and get new legs fitted.

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Cavalier turbo, Corsas,

Ross's multi tool..... lol

Good progress bud. Glad could help you on my short trip home.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Ross's multi tool..... lol

Good progress bud. Glad could help you on my short trip home.

haha, dunno who's it is but no mine anyway.

yeah spot for that, didn't take ya long to find the fault! Hopefully have it running properly this week

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Astra van

Great update cracking work.

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Cavalier turbo, Corsas,

Are you no using the clutch pressure plate i gave you then?. Need one myself now ive changed to flat fly.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe cavy cdx, astra zlet

Delighted you got it running good progress there

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    1.3sr nova & corsa sport

cracking work as allways mate!! loving the burnout two lol

Drives
    Astra van & Cavalier SRi

Good progress Murray! Loving the new mk2 SRi
    Vauxhall Astra Van 1.7DTi- T22 JFF
    Pre-Facelift Vauxhall Cavalier SRi - J551 AHJ

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Balallan View Post
    Great update cracking work.
    Cheers!

Are you no using the clutch pressure plate i gave you then?. Need one myself now ive changed to flat fly.
    Was gonna use it but just put the new one on in the end! Will have old one in garage somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by taz c View Post
    Delighted you got it running good progress there
    haha its running but only just

Quote Originally Posted by wudgey_sr View Post
    cracking work as allways mate!! loving the burnout two lol
    haha 1.4 8v seems quite hardy, th red one was originally a 14 8v too!

Quote Originally Posted by Th0m45 View Post
    Good progress Murray! Loving the new mk2 SRi
    Getting there. She's nice yeah, almost seems worth doing it up.

Scottish Regional Co-ordinator/MIGWeb Moderator GaryVaux's Avatar
    Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

This cars going to be a cracker once done, great work!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra MK3/MK4

Re: Astra mk3 - project/tidy up. (GSi rep)

Haven't updated this since before crail, not cause i'm lazy but more so everytime I do somehow my laptop manages to hold off from sh!tting itself until i'm just about to push submit.. then its game over and start a write up again.

After just having it do that i'll try keep this short and simple

Had a few issues, mainly engine wise the last couple months. From roughly a couple weeks after my last update until around 2 weeks ago, so here goes it.

Since fitting the engine my starter hadn't worked so was borrowing a mates, got mine recon'd locally though and refitted it back in march. After fitting the starter it didn't sound right while turning over so I put the borrowed starter back on, still the same though. A familiar sound from when my previous engine had snapped its timing belt

Removed

Removed the timing cover and while cranking realized the cams weren't turning, went to turn engine by bar and crankshaft bolt span without turning the crank.

Re-timed engine in hope of some luck, however luck wasn't on my side.

Head removed:

Had no intention to fix head, another one soon sourced and looked well. Got it skimmed and pressure tested but wasn't so keen after, failed pressure test on a core plug and didnt look great after being skimmed.

[/URL]

Cavalier-c20let then sourced a good head which is now currently fitted to the car, Don't have many pictures of this stage but it didn't go without trial and error. Had never fitted a head or what but got cracking one Saturday and it was on and torque'd up, Went on then to time it up but couldn't find TDC, well I could however it was a full 180 deg out from where it should be (sat at 12'oclock rather than 6).

Some searches on mig resulted in it more than likely being a broken woodruff key on crank pulley, pulley removed and so it was. Cavalier-c20let also sourced me a new pulley, sorted.

Successfully timed up and I got it plumbed up, battery on and was ready to hear some noise however that didn't happen further tests indicated no compression in the head, and at no compression it was a severe lack.

Piston 1 - 20psi
    Piston 2 - 0psi
    Piston 3 - 0psi
    Piston 4 - 0psi

Tried a few things to get compression but no such luck, head was back off once again. Had a boy at work then inspect it over and I went on to remove lifters, check valves. Check chambers on head + block, no faults found though

Finding no faults it was put down that headbolts weren't tight enough and possibly I'd left grit/sh*t in block stopping bolts reaching bottom.. tried a re-fit on head anyway. Just as I was putting first headbolt in user Rob01 realised there wasn't washers on the headbolts. I'd not thought anything of this as they had a shoulder however he thought different, a few searches online showed that they do have washers. It had been weeks from removing the head to refitting this one and the old bolts were in the bottom of my tool box, but digged em out and right enough there was washers on em

Refitted with washers, plumbed all up again and first turn was bawp. Fired up like it had when first fitted, chuffed.

So that was whats been ongoing with the car since March until around 2weeks ago

of my tool box, but digged em out and right enough there was washers on em

Refitted with washers, plumbed all up again and first turn was bawp. Fired up like it had when first fitted, chuffed.

So that was whats been ongoing with the car since March until around 2weeks ago

I've gathered a few parts through out the 2months

Brand new genuine GSi bonnet
    Brand new genuine GSi front bumper
    Spare phs1 kit
    Monroe gas rear shocks
    Loaaaaaaads of interior trims, window looms, motors, windows, clips, plastics, oil cooler etc etc from a mk3 sport a mate broke (thanks rob01 )

Friday 24/05/13

Decided to tackle water pipes to realize I didn't have a complete set. Bit spur of the moment but with the car already on the ramp and a free weekend I decided to tackle something I'd put off for long enough.

A spin to the local autoparts and some ingredients were bought

Stonechip
    Hammerite
    Red oxide primer
    Zinc Primer
    Zinc 182 spot primer

On Friday got the underneath soaked in degreaser and removed the fuel tank, axle, brake pipes, clips, fuel lines etc etc. Once all removed pressure washed floor then repeated sequence.

Left to dry over night

Saturday came back to it,

Started off by roughing up the underneath by giving it a rub down, also any rusty spots were needlegun'd or wire wheel'd until they came back to bare clean metal.

Underneath was then panel wiped, and any bare metal spot primed with zinc 182. Then went on to seam seal any parts where sealer wasnt so great and a few joints where I felt it was worth putting on.

Underneath was then given 2 coats of red oxide primer, followed by 2-3 coats of stonechip, another couple coats of zinc primer and finally 3-4 coats of red hammerite.

Heres some pictures from start to finish!

With floor done, engine running and the majority of bits waiting to be fitted its time for it to be sorted bodywise. Tomorrow night I'll be trailering it down to a local bodyshop and should have it back soon enough looking more car like

Had a lot of help from the forum itself via help threads, also a lot of local boys (some members on here) tomjeff, rob01 and cavalier-c20let so spot on for that.

Hopefully the next update wont be such a wait!

Scottish Regional Co-ordinator/MIGWeb Moderator GaryVaux's Avatar
    Drives
    Astra G/Nova TB

Re: Astra mk3 - project/tidy up. (GSi rep)

looks brilliant!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast