Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

4X4 MK2 Astra GTE, Was in MAXPOWER in 1996.

260K views 1K replies 135 participants last post by  CB GTE 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
We aquired this 4x4 Astra GTE shell back in August 2010.
This car was featured in Max Power back in 1996, She is very faded and minus the engine.
As most of you must have seen it on ebay as I noticed the thread and found it was local to me so I went and had a look and made an offer. Which was turned down as he wanted the car to run its coarse. It eventually made £720 I think, Jack my step son won it for us as we was away on our Honeymoon in Crete.
Anyway when it arrived we starting looking thru the bits that had come with it.
There is a very large Pace intercooler. Large radiator, Passenger side wing in red. 16v head and two inlet manifolds no cams thou.
Recaro seats from a sierra cosworth I guess and the rear seats have been crammed in too.
Tarox Strut brace, F28 gearbox and transfer box, The most massive straight thru exhaust i'v ever seen. Koni adjustable shox, 17" wheels, Electric sunroof.
We took all the arches off of it and front wings put the red wing on and one of my wings.
We think the plan of action is to try and make the car look standard, And just put a 16v engine in as we dont want to rip the 4x4 system up.

Things we need!

Rear arch panels.
16v Redtop engine plus ecu etc etc etc.
Roll cage.
Prop shaft for Calibra/Cavalier,
Drivers door not cos its knackered but as it has a mk3 doorhandle slightly out of line.
Slam panel.
Oil cooler pipes etc prefer to come with engine.

That will do for now.
Comments welcome on what we should do and route to take!!

Since I wrote this the car has been stripped to a rolling shell.
For the right money I may sell the rolling shell, It is very solid and wasted sitting in my garden.
I'd like to keep the gearbox for my 1800 thou.
I am in two minds what to do and have been reading some of the excellent projects on this site which does inspire me the main reason nothings happened is I have nowhere to work on it.:doh:
Maybe when it starts warming up i'l get into it. If anyone knows of a reasonable sized lockup in essex I could rent (cheap-ish thou) please let me know.
Oh I have managed to find another bodykit so it can stay fat.

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: 4X4 MK2 Astra GTE, Was in MAXPOWER in 1996. (I'm in two minds what to do)

do you know how come it got so neglected? bein a old show car i woulda expected it to be kept mint as its had so much money and time spent on it, have u got any old pics/history on it?
I have the Maxpower mag that it was in. All I know it has spent a good few years in a scrap yard but in the owners private collection,he was goin to do it up but ended up selling the LET engine out of it. And then he obviously got bored of it and put it on ebay.
It is a crying shame.
It was an impulse buy. But I knew if I never got round to doing anything with i'd have an f28 box and a monster Pace intercooler.

Chris

#3 ·

this deffo needs letting up!! - I know it looks a shonk but its whats underneath that counts! :D

jealous.com

#13 ·

I remember that car well saw it down southend a few times in its day .....lol..get it finshed mild tune LET 4 wheel drift all the way .. oh if you need some panels i got few spares

S

#15 ·

I remember that car well saw it down southend a few times in its day .....lol..get it finshed mild tune LET 4 wheel drift all the way .. oh if you need some panels i got few spares

S
Hmm i'm ok for panels if anything its a motor with all the bits n bobs to make it run. And a prop shaft. Roll cage and so on and so forth...

#17 ·

Looks like it wants a complete strip and rebuild, but could be a decent motor again, any more pics of the rear end?
And theres nothing wrong with a back garden rebuild, just get a gazeebo, lmao
Need pics of the MK1 too

#18 ·

Is there any pics of it from back in the day on the go?

Please tell me it had a Cossie whaletail spoiler! lmao

I'm with Nemesis on this, big V6 and STD looks would be much coolness.

#29 ·

Thanks for all the comments it is inspiring but to cold at mo, I'd like to put a 2.5/3.0 v6 in it from a omega would that mount up to the f28 gearbox? I'd like to get hold of a complete omega mot failure or something. Strip what I need from it and sell on whats left. Anyone know of one in essex preferably but willing to travel for the right motor.
Anyone think of any problems with my proposal?

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.