Dewis Motorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Dewis Motorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Re: Dewis Motorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2

So today I corner weighted the car, was always hoping for around 1050kg so this was pretty close to that, this is the weight without me in and car has about 6 litres of fuel in it.

Car has a good front to back ratio which should help the handling

And after lots of coilover adjustment I settle on this, almost 50/50 but I'm tight on time and knowing I will re do again after I get round to fitting a front splitter

Weight with me in it, I imagine race weight will be closer to 1185kg with the extra fuel

My last dyno was 243bhp but I have a slightly smaller charger pulley on now so I imagine power to be 250bhp, so that makes 215bhp per ton and 182whp per ton so I'm 18bhp inside my class B category of 200whp per ton

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Van

All looks super duper. You just need to learn to drive now!

I would hate to have to lap you... Again.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-S View Post
    All looks super duper. You just need to learn to drive now!

I would hate to have to lap you... Again.
    Ha ha pot kettle! And lapping a pug 206 with about 130bhp and 1080kg in a nova with 230bhp and about 850kgs at mallory......if you didn't I'd of been worried tbh

5. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

Had a look and there is a fair bit on the interweb about different techniques.
    NOTE, these are my thoughts and opinions, sometimes I'm wrong ;-)

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Finished off the last few mods, replaced the old battery and gave the insides of the doors a quick squirt and modded the door pull wires to open the door with a pull on any part

Then made myself some spoiler uprights, I've copied the original btcc astra design which allows three adjustment settings

Test fit after drilling the boot

Made some spreader and strengthening plates, the spoiler is strong enough for me to do pull myself onto it with all my weight

Squirt of paint

And final fitting

So race day at Donington Park, few pics from the day, was a very wet qualifying which put me about middle of the pack which was good to say it was my first drive on the track and of the car and in the wet.

The track dried out a bit in the afternoon and had a dry line so put the drys back on

Race was going well climbing up a few places and having a good battle with the skyline r32 gtr (480bhp) realing him in on the braking and corner speed but he had the legs on the straight. Going into the sixth lap the car spat the oil cooler feed hose off mid corner chucking oil onto the tyres and causing me to spin into the gravel. Only damage to shell was a cracked wing mirror glass but the engine is toast.

Put it on the trailer and cracked open the beers to enjoy the rest of the weekend of racing and will deal with the engine this week. Next race is at Silverstone in 5 weeks.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

So put the oil hose back on today and filled her up with some oil and ran her up and no knocking so happy days. Will be making some better hoses up to prevent it happening again.

Removed all the gravel and gave it a wash

Few pics my friend took on the day, the coupe is just a timeless shape imo

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Mk2

I had the rallycar do that at Donington last year.. got it recovered, fixed the hose, filled with oil and out we went.

One thing I would say is that we had no knocking and used the car for another 3-4 events afterwards but when we did strip it, there was a lot more wear on the bearings than there should have been for that amount of use and we ended up having the crank reground. My point is that it might be worth checking them now, rather than later and having a bigger problem to deal with.

Paul..

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Quote Originally Posted by RallyMarshal View Post
    I had the rallycar do that at Donington last year.. got it recovered, fixed the hose, filled with oil and out we went.

One thing I would say is that we had no knocking and used the car for another 3-4 events afterwards but when we did strip it, there was a lot more wear on the bearings than there should have been for that amount of use and we ended up having the crank reground. My point is that it might be worth checking them now, rather than later and having a bigger problem to deal with.

Paul..
    Cheers Paul, I plan to drop the oil and see if there is any glitter, I'd be amazed if no damage was done at all. This engines old at about 138k and is totally standard internally and was just going to be used till a forged one is built. I'm going to crack on with that build and thankfully have a few spare engines to nick parts from should I have to replace crank etc

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Mk2

Thumbs up Re: Dewis Motorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by dewismotorsport View Post
    Cheers Paul, I plan to drop the oil and see if there is any glitter, I'd be amazed if no damage was done at all. This engines old at about 138k and is totally standard internally and was just going to be used till a forged one is built. I'm going to crack on with that build and thankfully have a few spare engines to nick parts from should I have to replace crank etc

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

Easy enough to drop the sump and check the big end shells and, if needed, replace them.

BTW, what brand and type of fitting were you using? There are push on ones that are supposed to be perfectly safe but I am rather suspicious of them.
    NOTE, these are my thoughts and opinions, sometimes I'm wrong ;-)

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

They are just a push on hose with two hi grip jubilee clips on. Going to change for dash fittings and braided hose or hydraulic hose crimped fittings next

North Western Regional Coordinator Kev_G's Avatar
    Drives
    E91 325d Msport

Mate of mine Mark White was there in his Civic EP3.

Your coupe looks stunning I do have to say
    Ein Projekt, das ist eine nie endende Entwicklung
    Daily - E91 325d M-Sport Touring
    WIP - Mk3 Astra More Door

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    Mate of mine Mark White was there in his Civic EP3.

Your coupe looks stunning I do have to say
    Yeah he was unfortunately he suffered a brake fire.

Cheers I'm really happy with the look, just a front splitter to be added now

East Midlands Regional Coordinator Nemesis's Avatar
    Drives
    Cars, Loves:Whores

Good going on the weight, that's a cracking figure for a car of that size!

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Good going on the weight, that's a cracking figure for a car of that size!
    Yeah made alk the spot weld drilling worth while still a bit that could come out of the doors but tbh once the splitter goes on that will be cancelled out.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Few more pictures from the race

Carrying on the mods/repairs, fitted a new driver mirror to replace the smashed one, added a O ring to the rear view mirror ball and socket joint, has stiffened it a bit so will hopefully stop it tilting down (extra weight from the wide angle mirror), fitted a earth lead up into the bay from rear battery earth point to try and help the lazy starting, I think it's the battery just hasn't quite got the start up current engine needs due to the charger being on, it struggles at times.
    Made some front and rear door cards to hide the holes and neaten the look up, used 3mm foamex and stuck on with double sided foam tape

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Last few of race day (I promise) and a video (off my laptop screen as my WiFi is still down)

First time at Donington Park GP, just starting to get some heat into the old semi slicks on the cold damp track (dry only on racing line) and chasing down the Army drivers 480bhp AWD R32 Skyline GTR before the high pressure oil feed line to the oil cooler started leaking and eventually span me off into the gravel.
    https://youtu.be/zxk-IezXFAg

rc
    Drives
    359.9bhp astra & Audi S6

looks alot of fun!

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

So after a very wet qualifying the Toyo T1R's just weren't up to the job and come as a E rated wet tyre so I wanted something much better

So treated the car to some A rated uniroyal Rainsport 3's, which are imo the best wet tyre on the list of tyres were allowed to race on, whipped them on and balanced them up

Few extras bits I've bought, magnetic sump plug, cheap pit stop timer, gauge holder, aero catches for the boot lid (boot has to be openable) and a air temp sensor gauge so I can keep an eye on my inlet temps

Dropped the oil and change the filter and got some 1/2" bsp hoses made up, had to make a fitting as they didn't sell one that has the thread that fits the block

Made a boss for the sensor and welded it on

And all fitted

MIG Regions Admin / South Central Regional Coordinator Benn's Avatar
    Drives
    Shiney C20let Nova

Nice upgrades. looks good on track too.

I dare any of you to tell me you wouldn't let this upstanding young citizen slob on your knob like corn on the cob.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra

Finished fitting the gauge for the intake temps

Bought myself a laptimer, went for the Pitking GPS LT1 which has a built in 10HZ GPS and has features like thumbs up and down for fast and slow laps and has a dash mounted beacon so no pit wall beacon needed. Made a bracket and fitted it in line of view

MIG Regions Admin / South Central Regional Coordinator Benn's Avatar
    Drives
    Shiney C20let Nova

Lap timer is very cool.

I dare any of you to tell me you wouldn't let this upstanding young citizen slob on your knob like corn on the cob.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra
    Been doing the last few jobs before the race on Saturday at Silverstone national circuit.
    Got picked up at Donington scrutineering due to not being able to open my boot so fitted some aero catches

Made myself a cold air feed for the air filter, bit of 2" tapered alloy tube onto a plate

Riveted in place

Loaded the car up and set off at 2315 and arrived for mapping at Courtenay sport at 0420 few hours sleep and up again to unload

So the car decided it didn't want to talk via the obd port, I knew it previously worked as that's how I found the immobiliser fault, after several hours Matt had tried everything he could and even bench tested the ecu. I then suggested cutting the immobiliser wire feed I'd added as that's the only thing to have changed and it worked first time.

We'd lost a lot of time so only did a handful of runs just to check the map was safe and luckily it was, the smaller pulley had leaned the map out nicely to 11.9 on the lambda. Turns out my oem wideband sensor must be knackered as was reading 10.0 at WOT so I'll order a new one.

Matt and Jon were really impressed with the intercooler setup having never seen one before and we're certain it would improve the intake temps which was good positive feedback. We did notice that some of the silicones suck in on idle due to the charger screws creating a vacuum and sacking against a closed throttle body but once revved the positive pressure blew them out fully again. Doesn't effect how it runs but will make some solid pipes up with just a few short joiners in future.

So results were 267bhp and 226 lbs ft of torque at the crank which is exactly what I wanted as that now gives me 230whp and 198bhp per ton so I have a little to play with on the weight side but right up to the 200whp per ton Class B limit.

East Midlands Regional Coordinator Nemesis's Avatar
    Drives
    Cars, Loves:Whores

Power "curve"

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Supercharged 2.2 Astra
    So race day at Silverstone national circuit and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines best turn out so far

The Armed forces pit village

Qualifying went alright, was stuck behind faster cars in a straight line but slow on brakes and cornering which was annoying.

Into the race and after a awful start due to lots of wheel spin I dropped 4 places but fought back to re gain them. Struggling to get heat into the rear tyres I cut too much of copse corner curb at about 100mph sending me a bit sideways, I was expecting a bit more and put too much lock on and got a tank slapper on, pinning the throttle didn't pull me straight and next minute I'm heading backwards into the tyre wall.

Cars a bit of a mess at the back but my bodyshop sponsor says it's sortable so it will go again

Didn't let it ruin our weekend and chilled out with some ps4, bbq and beers

Car looked good before the crash at least

You tube video of the race and crash
    https://youtu.be/N8QPGdumyOY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast