Craig's XE track Nova
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's XE track Nova

Drives
    C30 rDesign - Astra G 4WD
    I think it's the same guy who had some on eBay a few weeks ago but none on there now...

Yes PM me his details please...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

Drives
    Van

Re: Craig's XE track Nova

Done.

A good bit of progress today. Met Adam down the unit at around 1pm, ready to fully weld the cage for me. All went quite well, despite having to use my 150amp hobby welder and he got done just on time.

(Secret photo)

5 hours, and it was done.

A lot better than i could have done myself. Very happy with it,

Then got home to a nice heavy package. Which was a used, but great condition Helix paddle clutch, Cover and Paul Exon flywheel.

Im in 2 minds wether to use the cover or not, as despite being a Helix item it is from the "12-4626" range, which they quote as standard, but its my own fault for not checking, as it was simply sold to me as a Helix cover, no Mention of heavy Duty (60-4626).

Helix do say a standard cover can handle a 15% increase in torque, which i dont expect to gain any more than, so it's one to think about, but if truth be known i will most likely go to QED for a new one.

(Thanks again Gordon, am genuinely pleased with the package)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C Z20LET

Looking good. Torque is the main issuse with a clutch so you should be with the pressure you've got. I only had a standard LUK clutch on mine and I gave it loads of abuse and it was fine.
    'power makes you faster down the straights, lightness makes you faster everywhere' mr c chapman.

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Ha ha sneaky stealth photo there mate! Shame the welder was so turd but tbh it did the job (just) there not really designed for continuous full power use so no wonder it kept dying on us, shame I couldn't of got the van and brought mine from work but hey ho

Now you have no excuse but to get the shell finished

MIGWeb User
    Drives

That cage is awesome!!

rc
    Drives
    359.9bhp astra

great work, all the cage angles look factory.
    its not easy either, heres mine, the one on the left took ages to profile

Drives
    Van

Cheers RC, i Took ages over the first few joints, but must admit i got a bit rough towards the end. Those joints are between me and Adam though.

Did a bit on the car the other day. I gave the cage a quick coat of zinc primer to stop it rusting, & manged to pick up a new steering columb from the breakers last weekend, which was an adjustable non airbag style from a Cavalier.

Someone gave me the idea that i could alter the rake, which i quite liked, so i threw away the Nova one and welded up some mounts for this one.

With that in a position i was happy with i decided to give the cage another coat of zinc, which actually gave me a bit more motivation as its brightened up the interior a little.

Next job is to make a raised plate in the drivers footwell to mount the pedal box, then fit the gearbox and sort out the shifter position.

MIG Regions Admin / South Central Regional Coordinator Benn's Avatar
    Drives
    Shiney C20let Nova

Good work.

I dare any of you to tell me you wouldn't let this upstanding young citizen slob on your knob like corn on the cob.

Drives
    Looking good, crying out for gussets on 'A' pillars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Red Let

Looks well nice Craig
    Red let - 1998 2.0 16v turbo corsa, speedlines, depos, mig stickers

Drives
    Van

Thanks, It will be getting fully gusseted down the A and B pillars, But im not sure wether to buy the ready punched sheets or buy a selection of tools and do them myself

They are bloody expensive!

Was thinking i might be able to make some....... what are they? like 60 each? Ideally i would need 3 different sizes due to the odd line between the pillar and the cage.

Drives
    SEF

Got a machining shop to cook up some for you, you can have little smilie faces and stuff cut into them lol
    Vauxhall Nova Estate - Isuzu diesel, EPAS, the only estate in the UK!
    SEF MKIV -The famous Nova returns, C20XE, EPAS, quiet and refined
    MIG Admin - Show reporter - Central RC - Comic relief

Drives
    Paid 17 for my 25mm off eBay search for

seller:sprintboy29

He's got loads of different sizes

Drives
    Van

Once again, well done. I searced for ages for those the other week!

Tempted by the set of 10. but just ordered a pair of main hoop pre swaged plates, so will see how i get on with those first.

Thanks again.

Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-S View Post
    Once again, well done. I searced for ages for those the other week!

Tempted by the set of 10. but just ordered a pair of main hoop pre swaged plates, so will see how i get on with those first.

Thanks again.
    Yep searching for car bit's..... There has to be some benefit for sitting in front of a laptop all day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra ST200 #0005

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-S View Post
    Im in 2 minds wether to use the cover or not, as despite being a Helix item it is from the "12-4626" range, which they quote as standard, but its my own fault for not checking, as it was simply sold to me as a Helix cover, no Mention of heavy Duty (60-4626).

Helix do say a standard cover can handle a 15% increase in torque, which i dont expect to gain any more than, so it's one to think about, but if truth be known i will most likely go to QED for a new one.
    Craig, I'm running a standard OE flat lightened flywheel just shy of 5kg, Helix 4 paddle clutch and standard GM (LUK) cover plate. Never had any issues on my TBed XE running 220bhp and just shy of 170ibft. This makes the clutch nice and light and traffic friendly, but still able to take a beating out on track.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Lots of Novas

Should have used column from a MK4 astra craig, they go in/out too

Drives
    Van

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Craig, I'm running a standard OE flat lightened flywheel just shy of 5kg, Helix 4 paddle clutch and standard GM (LUK) cover plate. Never had any issues on my TBed XE running 220bhp and just shy of 170ibft. This makes the clutch nice and light and traffic friendly, but still able to take a beating out on track.
    Thats good to know. Your Astra will be a bit heavier than my car too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mieran View Post
    Should have used column from a MK4 astra craig, they go in/out too
    Another good idea, Dont really want to be doing it a 3rd time though.

I looked at a few columb's, The Omega one was too bulkey and anything with an airbag originally fitted just looked messy in my opinion. Il have a look at a mk4 one next time i get the chance. It might even mount up to what i have done already. They dont cost a lot, and in my line of work are mega easy to find, so make's sense to explore the possibilitys before going any further.

rc
    Drives
    359.9bhp astra

good idea with the adjustable colloum. I might do simular as my seats with be on the floor. Ive got a vectra outside ready to scrap i might havea look at that, although im planning epas so might not be feasable.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra ST200 #0005

Quote Originally Posted by rc View Post
    although im planning epas so might not be feasable.
    Fitted EPAS from a Corsa C in my Astra mk2 last year, best mod I've ever done as the manual quick rack was just a little too heavy. The column is the exact same length as the Astra/Cavalier so straight forward fit for me.

Drives
    Van

Decided after a comment Lee made and a little research, to pick up the area behind the steering rack mount into the main roll cage this week.

Only really been chipping away at it an hour at a time when i have been free, but got it finished and in primer tonight.

I looked at a few ideas, one being the current Bmw Mini WRC car, but all i could see was running through the footwells to the front legs, which without a bend was going to be a problem with the pedal box.

Decided in the end to come down from the dash bar, then back up to the suspension turrets like so. Please ignore the slight continuity errors throughout the photo's, i wasnt really taking any until towards the end.

Managed to re-use the o/s blanking plate hole, so just required a little CAD to cover the big hole,

Then did the same for the other side, nearly managed to re-use the brake servo hole over here, just needed to elongate it a little. Had trouble with the welder on this side so it's a bit messy (maybe the bloke on the end of it)

And all in zinc primer.

My OCD doesn't like the fact that the steering rack isn't quite in the middle, but function over form and all that, hopefully its not too noticable.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C Z20LET

Fairplay, was the unit a bit warmer today then?
    'power makes you faster down the straights, lightness makes you faster everywhere' mr c chapman.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Shoulda gone a bit closer with the can of primer....

MIG Regions Admin / South Central Regional Coordinator Benn's Avatar
    Drives
    Shiney C20let Nova

Love the rack bracing. As you've remove the bolt over cover from the rear of the brake pedal, wanna sell me it?

I dare any of you to tell me you wouldn't let this upstanding young citizen slob on your knob like corn on the cob.

Drives
    Van

Quote Originally Posted by corsadonk View Post
    Fairplay, was the unit a bit warmer today then?
    Yeah it wasnt so cold, Plus i was in a slightly better mood today

Quote Originally Posted by Corsamitch View Post
    Shoulda gone a bit closer with the can of primer....
    That Zinc182 is a nightmare. Its thin as fu*k, but still manages to clog up the nozzle. I got to the point where i didnt care so just blasted it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Love the rack bracing. As you've remove the bolt over cover from the rear of the brake pedal, wanna sell me it?
    Im not sure if i still have it, i have a feeling i may have cut it up to make a bracket out of, il have a look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast