Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

astra 1.4 road rally car

20K views 89 replies 11 participants last post by  vauxhall222 
#1 ·
just thought id start one of these, the car started as a 1.4 accident damaged astra. the shell is very clean and the damage was just a slam panel and light and bonnet. cant realy complain as the car was free and so was the doner car, the doner car was an l reg astra gsi with no enjine, the plan is to take all the gsi bits ( panels etc }to use on the 1.4 and then use it for local road rallies. the plan will be as follows

repair damage( fit slam panel)
fit gsi kit
fit uprated suspension
repaint panels that need it
new seats
3 point harnesses
half or full roll cage
spotlights
full exhaust system
mudflaps
oil light in centre console
push button start
vertical hydraulic hand brake
bias valve

that will be it for now, then as soon as the car is motd il start on the enjine when funds allow as this is on a seriously tight budget

See less See more
#2 ·
just a few pics from a few weeks ago when i started work

slam panel is repaired and front end istrial fitted, will be making a start on painting it this after noon so will post up some more pic,s tonight
thanks for looking

#4 ·
Some good work there mate. For a free car its a steal mate, shell looks pretty rust free too mate which is positive. When the kit is all sprayed up to match the car its going to look very good i must say. Have not seen a astra gsi in that colour before anyways.

How much are the hydraulic handbrake setups then mate, they look the business i must say. Your sticking with the 1.4 8v engine mate yeh ??

Liam

#5 ·
yea the car is totally rust free so im glad about that, will be sticking to the 1.4 enjine just to be different as most go for the red top so going to stay with the 1.4, vertical hydraulic handbrakes go for about a ÂŁ100 for most, mine will sit about 2 inches from the steering wheel so you dont even have to take your hand off the wheel if you want too,

#6 ·
been busy today, trial fitted the rear cage and got most of the bits painted, bit of a miss match with the paint but it will do for the moment untill the winter then i will give it a full respray

hope fully i will get a bit more done as i have a week off work, then it should be all complete again

#8 ·
finished of last night and the car looks like this

dont know what the plans are for today yet but after a busy day yesterday i think we need a slow day, more pics to follow

#10 ·
Nice work shame to spoil a good gsi kit IMO as the bumpers worth at least 100 with fogs etc. I'd of gone standard body kit as cheap to replace if you have a off as gsi kits are not cheap at all.

#11 ·
to be honest the kit needed lots of work and i have spare bumpers etc so as it was free i just sorta thought use it anyway, i drive like a fart so it will be in the same condition for a while yet

#13 ·
todays update- swapped the suspension over from standard to bilstien inserts with new topmounts and joints etc, new brakes were also fitted

#15 ·
the suspension is standard ride height using gravel spec springs and bilstein inserts, cant realy lower it much as i need the ground clearence for the lanes and farm tracks we use, as soon as i drop the enjine in il post up a video

#16 ·
had a busy day yesterday, spent the day weldind seat rails in and mounts for the rear cage and also making a mount for the vertical hydraulic handbrake, going to get the cage and seats in today and then make a start on the ignition system, im going to do away with the key and have a push button start and have a kill switch hidden around the car for security pirposes, will post some pics after

#18 ·
all i did was remove the centre console and welded a flat piece of steel in with the holes for the handbrake drilled in it and nuts welded behind, then i braced that piece of steel to the tunnel, that way its strong and dont move, the handbrake fits close to the seat but is in the perfect position for me, shame il only get the rest of the year out of it before they ban it, still looks mad tho

this is the only pic of the handbrake as the seats and bias valve are already fitted,

#20 ·
at the end of the year vertical hydraulic handbrakes and big spotlights like mine are being banned in road rallies, also all exhausts need to be 2 box minimum, so no single box exhausts, will get a pic of the interior up in a mo so you can see it in and fitted

#24 ·
there bannining it because of lots of reasons, to be honest they say they look too much like stage cars and the msa and police dont want that, the centre panel on the dash holds the ignition switch, push button start, fan override switch,2 relays for the spotlights,1 for the fan, 1 switch for the spots (so i can use main beam and keep the spots off, and then ive got a fuse box in the centre console

#27 ·
car is motd and now on the road, now il be fitting strut braces and making a start on gathering enjine parts

pic,s from my local froestry

will update with more progress soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.