Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

500+bhp AWD Nova

31K views 120 replies 46 participants last post by  wudgey_sr 
#1 ·
Update: Now 700+bhp AWD Nova

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I own/operate M-Tech Automotive in Wiltshire. This isnt an advertising type thing, just more so everyone can follow a pretty insane project we are putting together for a customer!

Danny brought us his RHD coverted european Nova shell after having his C20LET Forged engine (built by CAM) drop a cam tensioner only 500 miles after the rebuild, thus destroying most of the valves. It was at this time he wanted us to simply fit a Stage 4 head he had bought from Hi-Flow heads. We started talking, and he told me how he really wanted it to be AWD, but CAM had the car for months then decided they coudnt do it.... we're always up for a challenge so we took on the project.

Here is the car as it stands, minus the head which we removed to fit the new one.

As a break down, the car is a european import, converted to RHD and fully seam welded, running a C20LET with forged internals and standard management and turbo.

The aim of the project is to fit a GT35R turbo, with custom manifolds and pipework, install our V4 engine management system, install a 12 point weld in roll cage, space frame the rear and increase the track to support installation of EVO 6 transmission, diff, transfer case and running gear.

So it begins.... :D

Cheers,
Matt

11/02/10
Pictures of the head:

See less See more
#39 ·
Jonboy, its very easy to get, Rob wasnt questioning getting the power, he was just saying there are no proven examples that spring to mind for the sort of thing he uses his car for, ie hard on track.
Hopefully it wont be a problem, but I certainly agree that its more proven on say an evo engine.

Matt, great to see the car the other day when I was over, must be just about the tidiest nova shell ive ever seen I reckon!

#41 ·
Fair point but I do think there are others out there but maybe not going round circuits, the only issues can easily be sorted though as Rob has done on his own car.

Main issue with fwd is finding a gearbox that can take 20 mins worth of solid abuse from 500hp so using the Evo running gear would sort that

#46 ·
i don`t know why are you saying that the let won`t handle 500bhp for half a dozen trackdays,mine i was running in the 10`s and never opened the engine in ayear using 26 inch tyres with staNDARD F28 GEARBOX WITH NOproblems nevers snapped a shaft either.i think if your lets are not reliable there is a problem cause here in malta and even in SA the letr is running great and with no problems

#53 ·
track days everytime and here in malta the tempreture is very hot especially in summer.and about the oils i use sunoco gearoil and with no oil cooler.the only thing that managed to break my engine is at the an event of last yaer my breaks have gone and i had to stop with an engine break and snapped 2 rods.if someone wants to see a video Cosworth Monte @ Halfar raceway and this was on a sunday morning no gripjiuce just normal track

#60 ·
Personally not a project I see any point in, but life is made more interesting by project threads on mental cars!

Will certainly be different when it is done!

#70 ·
wow this nova will be something special indeed. Someone has far too much spare money and time lol. Nice to see a local stepping into the unknown, still willing to experiment in these times of recession eh!
I can see the restrictor on the corsa. does look kinda small, beardy what sort of boost does it run? more spec please :p.
Seen a few 450+bhp lets, seems as long as you spend the money they are reliable enough, but 4WD load round a track will be alot. little wheel spin in comparison to the FWD or RWD projects so upon launch will have an enormous amount of load going through the engine instantly. All the more reason to cut some weight out :-D

#73 ·
Hey chaps,

Update wise we have just been speccing the build with the customer and working out the best route to take.

Meanwhile, this arrived :)

Genuine Garrett GT35R.

The next step is sourcing an Evo 5 RS to steal the g/box and running gear from, and at the same time begin the installation of the 12 point MSA spec weld in cage....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.