dewismotorsport's C20LET Corsa gsi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: dewismotorsport's C20LET Corsa gsi

Drives
    Corsa GSI Turbo

Re: dewismotorsport's C20LET Corsa gsi

Coming on very nice fella!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Well was hoping to get a bit more progress done today but spent half the day down Plymouth A&E and eye hospital as i managed to get a bit of aluminium embedded in my eye whilest grinding a manifold even though i had eye protection on, some use they are

On my return i set about finishing a few jobs off, first up was to remove the rest of the power steering pipes off the rack which i'd previously just linked together and ran with fluid in, have since realised you don't need to do that so off they came

My special order silicon turned up only for me to realise i don't have a 3" throttle bodie, it's 3.5" so 50 wasted there then :cry:
    So i order a reducer and made up a alloy pipe to do the job instead

Collected my 3 way connector for the front brakes lines, still need to get one of the rear lines shortened will do that this week hopefully

and all fitted up

Next parcel i opened was my brake discs, these are 304mm x 24mm MGF 1.8 VVC trophy 01-02 discs which is the exactly the same discs which come in the Rayland kit, all they then do is machine the middle out and drill through and attach the alloy bell to it

I bought them through mintbitz on ebay and can't rate them highly enough, very helpfull and came the next working day, this is mainly for my future reference but if anyone else wants there details here they are

When buying you have the choice of finish, drilled, drilled and grooved, grooved and dimpled and grooved all for a stupidly cheap price of 67.95 delivered

So the plan tomorrow is get them on the lathe and machine out the middle to fit my bells, i stripped mine down earlyer and this is what i'm left with

plan is to turn it out enough so that the lip on the bell fits inside and then drill through and bolt it back up, i also have the option of taking some material out of the rear of the bell if it spaces the wheel slightly to far out, this is what it will look like

A quick ghetto fit with zip ties on the caliper and disc (I know it's not the right side, it was the first one out the box) this is what it looks like behind 16" wheels

Can't wait to get back into work and fire up the lathe

rc
    Drives
    359.9bhp astra

Good work, how much do rayland charge for the discs?

MIGWeb Technical Moderator Dale's Avatar
    Drives
    Corsa VXR-R & Astra VXR

Looking good, good price for the discs, I priced my alcon discs for replacement and they were 210 + vat each..... lol

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Stage 4 saab 9-3

Crackin project mate looks like its gonna be an animal once its done lookin forward to some more progress

On a side note, good to know that eye protection does its job eh? should sue the company who made em lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Pug 309 Cosworth

Good work Dewis, if you have the tools it seems sensible to try and make your own rotors really as that will save you a fortune !

Discs for the Peugeot are <wait for it>....... 600 a pair LOL Dodge Ram discs are the same size ( 330 x 36 ) but I need to get my hands on a scrap one first to see if its even possible to do what Reyland did with their kit.

As for the rack, how come you haven't just fitted a EPAS type rack as they are a higher ratio ?

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Cheers guys, if I've got the tools I'll teach myself how to use them and make my own stuff, can't justify paying people to do stuff I can!

Not sure what reyland charge tbh Ronnie, not less than 70 an a few hours of my time I expect

Yeah I priced up these discs and they were a simular price to the Alcons etc

Didn't fit epas as I was happy with the steering on the move, but maybe fit one next time round to help with the static steering though

Would never catch me paying 600 for discs! Ram sounds like a good option, just import them from the states would save you a fortune

And as for rhe eye protection, chances of suing them would be slim as they have so many disclaimers etc really couldn't be arsed I'm fine now, just pissed of with the half a day lost

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Right set about the discs with the lathe, first cut out a ring to allow me get the bit inside so that I could machine out

Then preceded to spend what felt like my life all over again machining it out to it's 161mm internal diameter

The bells are an intererance fit so for now put them on car to see how they fitted up, a bit of a fail on my part as this conversion is designed for astra style hubs which have different carriers so they didn't fit :cry:
    But a quick rummage later I found some 15mm hub centric spacers and longer bolts so the spacer now fits inside the bell allow me the clearance I needed

This has increased my track by about about 20mm which I think will help me out on track

So am in a bit of a dilemma really as I could just turn the bells down slighty and lose 5mm off that or just leave it how it is :dunno:
    What's peoples thoughts?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    C20LET 5dr corsa

nice
    Roll on LET power....

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    tigra/LET westfield

What about making the right carriers?
    MIG.....Made In Greece LOL

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2 x Novas

Just buy the reyland kit???

or make flared arches

Wheel hanging out the the arch isnt a nice look and asking for scrubbage!
    Love this thread tho!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Pug 309 Cosworth

Edit, now read back a page or two !

As for the rack I didn't mean fit a column, just the high ratio rack the Corsa came with

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Managed to get the other disc finished in half the time cut into it further out and then machined out with a new bit which was actually sharp

Then realised my bells are bigger than the Reyland ones so had no chance of getting a nut behind so had to tap and die through the disc (about 6mm)

Couldn't bolt them together as the storeman had gone home and he keeps all the cap head bolts locked away so will fit them tomorrow with a dab of high tempurature retaining loctite and thats them all done

couple of views

Also managed to sort out a bit of the extra unwanted track so only sticks out about 10mm now so will be fine once the geometry set up is done as no doubt that will be reduced will the camber

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_cav View Post
    Just buy the reyland kit???

or make flared arches

Wheel hanging out the the arch isnt a nice look and asking for scrubbage!
    Love this thread tho!
    Wheres the fun in just buying it lmao

Have sorted the wheel spacing now so all good, and cheers for the intrest in my thread

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TigraTurbo View Post
    What about making the right carriers?
    The carriers will be fine as i've already made some brakets for them, worst case may need a little bit of playing with, and the height adjustment will only be a case of making a shim with two holes in to meet the new height

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jonlem View Post
    Edit, now read back a page or two !

As for the rack I didn't mean fit a column, just the high ratio rack the Corsa came with
    I already have the 2.7 lock to lock rack so don't need to mate

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Pug 309 Cosworth

What ratio is the EPAS rack then ?

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jonlem View Post
    What ratio is the EPAS rack then ?
    Same 2.7 lock to lock

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Pug 309 Cosworth

Gotcha

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Stage 4 saab 9-3

Lovely bit of work there fella, cars certainly coming along

Guesing the lathes at your work? makes me miss using lathes seein the pics lol

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    Lovely bit of work there fella, cars certainly coming along

Guesing the lathes at your work? makes me miss using lathes seein the pics lol
    Cheers mate, hopefully coming to near the end of all the upgrades now

yeah the lathe is at work so is a added bonus, never had one at my other places so i'm already thinking up new things to make with it lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Stage 4 saab 9-3

Always good, untill you decide you want more from the car that is lmao, or will you leave the car as is for a while once finished?

Major bonus that is if you've got a milling machine aswell then that really opens up the market to things you could make.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    tigra/LET westfield

Sounds good then! watch it.......................knowing how to operate a lathe,can be addicted

Quote Originally Posted by dewismotorsport View Post
    The carriers will be fine as i've already made some brakets for them, worst case may need a little bit of playing with, and the height adjustment will only be a case of making a shim with two holes in to meet the new height
    MIG.....Made In Greece LOL

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

All finished today all shims made etc and both sides fitted up, will be removing to do the shafts, bearings and top mounts

finished article:

MIGWeb Lord
    Drives
    Corsa C20LET/Astra coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    Always good, untill you decide you want more from the car that is lmao, or will you leave the car as is for a while once finished?

Major bonus that is if you've got a milling machine aswell then that really opens up the market to things you could make.
    I have pretty much bupgraded everything to work at and above my power level, so shouldn't have to strip it to bits for a while at least, next big job will be stripping the interior and caging it but that won't be until the winter i'd of thought

Not got a milling machine which is a real shame as i'd spend hours on it making all sorts lmao

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast