Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Nova XE Full Restore !

39K views 235 replies 63 participants last post by  Big_Chap 
#1 · (Edited)
Nova XE Full Restore, throttle bodies etc

bit of a mini-restoration at the moment, basically re-undersealing it and refreshing alot of the underside of the car which isn't really seen and basically checking it wasn't completley rotten before it fit new panels etc. Also including pictures of the replacement of the cross-member which i actually did around 2yrs ago. (and was fully documented on a previous thread)

8yrs of XE punishment certainly took its toll on the original crossmember and basically sheared it at the tie bar bracket. A strengthened and powder-coated (to seal the inside and stop rusting from the inside-out) replacement is now inplace along with a new set of avo's to replace the old ones which were 8yrs old and didn't have rear height adjustment.

extra strengthening, don't want it happening again!

that all seems like ages ago now!

Also in the middle of a restoration at the moment!

cant buy splash guards anymore so made my own!

bought a rollcage but for sale

a pretty rare set of opel badged cavy gsi wheels for winter etc

set of 4pots... (which may also get sold on)

a set of jenvey "direct to head" throttle bodies, over-sized stainless steel manifold, lairy cams with vernier pulleys, ARP con-rod bolts, heated windscreen and a quaiffe ATB Diff.

also have 2 brand new GM doors (still in stickers and bubblewrap!) 2 full size GM rear quarters, 2 GM wings and a tailgate!

better be f*ckin worth it! lmao

should of bought a cossie! :doh:

See less See more
#65 ·
yeah, is it much of a ball ache? the plate beside the steering rack doesn't have and fixings, although i've not checked the footwell side of the bulkhead. also, with no rack, won't it be a **** to move about?

#67 · (Edited)
cheers, worth sourcing a new bulk head insulation thing?

any tips on re-freshing the engine and box paint-wise and also loom hiding?

its going for paint on saturday hopefully and then on the road 1st march! finally might get to take it to a billing or pv!

#69 ·
Looks like its held together well! Mine was fully seam welded and not stitched and still not 100% certain how to do my next one.

As far as loom hiding goes the loom on the front panel to the lights etc is easy you just flip the clips to be on the inside on the panel and it runs under the slam. Running bodies the engine loom should be relatively simple and easy to keep tidy. The rest of the car loom on the rhs you can either spend time lengthening and hiding or just wrap it all tidily in conduit.

Use hammerite as benn says on block and gbox. Last 2 gbox's I've done I've just given them a really good wash down with gunk and the pressure washer, left to dry for a week in the shed then lashed straight on hammerite satin black spray. Looks tidy and will wear better than silver!

#70 ·
cheers, was thinking of going black for the block and box too, looks good. better to use cans then rather than brush?

also, for the wiring i should have said tidy/hide, did consider lengthening etc last year before the car went for bodywork but bit too much hassle, my mate bought k95vhd and have always liked the loom work in that (same as yours i think krobinson) so might go down that route. do you need to remove the plugs/connecters to fit the mesh wrap for is it flexible enough to go over them?

#73 ·
Yeah PM Nova-andy. But my loom is a C20LET one (simaliar to C20XE) but your loom should be tidy anyway with it being a Throttle bodied loom.

The headlight loom is simple enough to do.

With regards removing the rack, its a must if your painting the bay. Unbolt everything but the rack, when it go's for paint its just a matter of jacking the front up in the bodyshop and undoing 4 bolts to remove it.

Keith

Keith

#79 · (Edited)
more pics...

started "feathering" the inner wings and turrets to save time in the paintshop so ended up having to seal them up to stop moisture getting at them in the meantime and ruining the work, numb fingers! ideally we should have done the whole bay at the same time but only really intended to give them "a little clean up" the rest can be done later as the finish doesn't have to be as smooth.

the seam-sealer looks pretty awful but will be much better looking when painted

and a familiar face stopped by for some inspiration! (some of the older guys may recognise as "Nova Cane" from the 90's Max Power)

#84 ·
small update, cleaned up the engine and box

gearbox came up not too bad considering it looked like this before!!!:yuck:

after lots of degreaser various wire brushes and a quick jet-wash...

should i attack it with some alloy cleaner for an even better finish or paint it black like the block?

dash is going to take some cleaning! :(

#92 ·
nothing much tbh, just cleaning up and painting other wee bits in the bay, wiper motor, coil, altenator and bracket etc. still waiting on paintshop and need my lightened flywheel to arrive before i put the gearbox back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.