Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Nova XE Full Restore !

39K views 235 replies 63 participants last post by  Big_Chap 
#1 · (Edited)
Nova XE Full Restore, throttle bodies etc

bit of a mini-restoration at the moment, basically re-undersealing it and refreshing alot of the underside of the car which isn't really seen and basically checking it wasn't completley rotten before it fit new panels etc. Also including pictures of the replacement of the cross-member which i actually did around 2yrs ago. (and was fully documented on a previous thread)

8yrs of XE punishment certainly took its toll on the original crossmember and basically sheared it at the tie bar bracket. A strengthened and powder-coated (to seal the inside and stop rusting from the inside-out) replacement is now inplace along with a new set of avo's to replace the old ones which were 8yrs old and didn't have rear height adjustment.

extra strengthening, don't want it happening again!

that all seems like ages ago now!

Also in the middle of a restoration at the moment!

cant buy splash guards anymore so made my own!

bought a rollcage but for sale

a pretty rare set of opel badged cavy gsi wheels for winter etc

set of 4pots... (which may also get sold on)

a set of jenvey "direct to head" throttle bodies, over-sized stainless steel manifold, lairy cams with vernier pulleys, ARP con-rod bolts, heated windscreen and a quaiffe ATB Diff.

also have 2 brand new GM doors (still in stickers and bubblewrap!) 2 full size GM rear quarters, 2 GM wings and a tailgate!

better be f*ckin worth it! lmao

should of bought a cossie! :doh:

See less See more
#42 ·
Hope to see it at a meet when its back on the road :nod:
yep, it will be there! :nod:

they clear lights suck! lol
shame that, thats the only bit of the car you'll see til you bin that V6 and go LET! lmao :beer:

Wee update, the back panel is on and the passenger quarter all welded up, just got the drivers side and its time for paint, woohoo! lmao

#44 ·
couple of more pictures from the weekend showing the quarter all welded, gap'd, blemishes fixed and sealed etc with the back panel about to get spot welded inplace, guy has had other things on in between mine so progress hasn't been huge. I'm in the middle of buying a house just now so not in a great hurry to see it soon anyway! new house has a decent sized garage though, get in! :beer:

#49 ·
about 50mm iirc.

what did you have to do to the arches?

is looking good dude,

not entirely sure, will either be imperfections or any crease's etc caused when rolling the lip. (new inner arches also fitted, can't remember if i mentioned that earlier.) the method of body prep-ing as you will probably know, always makes these little things look massive too, for example the primer coverage on the doors just because of the de-locking or the joins on the b pillar etc when the welded area will be no more than 10mm wide yet there is about a foot of primer covering the area. would prefer the whole car to be black right now and primer/filler free but unfortunatly these panels could be upto 20 years old and obviously these little things will be magnified when covered with paint if not sorted now. :beer:

#55 ·
haha yeah, started out as a mini-resto to check the chassis was ok before spunking cash fitting the quarters etc but kept thinking to myself "while i'm doing this i could..." but can't change the title. still, its pretty mini compared to krobinsons!

#62 ·
finally got the computer and broadband setup at the new gaff! heres whats been happening. got the car back a couple of weeks ago and decided to remove the engine to make a better job of painting the bay but not before trial fitting the bodies and manifold...

engine etc out and checked all the hard to reach bits, not looking that bad...

engine needs a bit of a clean up!

removed the seam-sealer to check for trouble, not bad for 10-ish years old!

PS. can admin change the title to "full restore"?! :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.