Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Nova XE Full Restore !

39K views 235 replies 63 participants last post by  Big_Chap 
#1 · (Edited)
Nova XE Full Restore, throttle bodies etc

bit of a mini-restoration at the moment, basically re-undersealing it and refreshing alot of the underside of the car which isn't really seen and basically checking it wasn't completley rotten before it fit new panels etc. Also including pictures of the replacement of the cross-member which i actually did around 2yrs ago. (and was fully documented on a previous thread)

8yrs of XE punishment certainly took its toll on the original crossmember and basically sheared it at the tie bar bracket. A strengthened and powder-coated (to seal the inside and stop rusting from the inside-out) replacement is now inplace along with a new set of avo's to replace the old ones which were 8yrs old and didn't have rear height adjustment.

extra strengthening, don't want it happening again!

that all seems like ages ago now!

Also in the middle of a restoration at the moment!

cant buy splash guards anymore so made my own!

bought a rollcage but for sale

a pretty rare set of opel badged cavy gsi wheels for winter etc

set of 4pots... (which may also get sold on)

a set of jenvey "direct to head" throttle bodies, over-sized stainless steel manifold, lairy cams with vernier pulleys, ARP con-rod bolts, heated windscreen and a quaiffe ATB Diff.

also have 2 brand new GM doors (still in stickers and bubblewrap!) 2 full size GM rear quarters, 2 GM wings and a tailgate!

better be f*ckin worth it! lmao

should of bought a cossie! :doh:

See less See more
#7 ·
4 pots look like coupe turbo ones.

Benn, hes just put the backplates on 90 degrees round from standard ;)

get pics of all the new panels and doors going on :D

rodgerq

#9 · (Edited)
A wee update, sorry about some pics, were taken late at night with phone...

crossmember still looking strong after about 2yrs!

a few shots showing the splash guards after a few coats of seam sealer!

a few shots showing the work on the chassis rails, plated for strength and durability with thick guage plates at the main jacking area with some re-working done to repair damage caused by careless cowboy garages with axle ramps in the past

scraping all dirt and crap away left a clean (rust-wise) white finish, all that was required was to clean up and seal any areas that needed attention.

then chuck a few coats of underseal at it! 10ltrs infact! gonna weigh a ton!

some pics of the rear showing a new tank etc. which was done in the summer, need to touch up a few bits as it was done in a hurry and the anti-roll bar was scratched when re-fitting.

should be away for the new quarters and doors etc in a couple of weeks! roll on PV

#11 ·
thats it all built up and ready for panel work/paint, should be away in the next week and have it back about a month later hopefully.

fitted new trackrod ends, ball joints, and bearings. cleaned up the hub carrier and TCA, will give the coilovers a freshen up and fit the 4 pot calipers when back from paint

#13 ·
update, fitted a new set of brembo 4pots with bells and rotors so the old ones are for sale!

answer to questions i missed earlier, thinking on selling the cage because of the whole "show cage" stigma, don't want any cheesy/chav bits on the car. was thinking of painting it white underneath back going to leave it black as dirty white looks terrible!:doh:

should stop it better than the old valver brakes! lmao

#17 ·
the brembo's on the car were 450 2nd hand although they are as new. they are 950 brand new though! i'm selling the other ones which were on the TV featured "olly tb"' mk1 astra with 280mm seat 4 stud discs.

yeah, 40 profile tyres, better looking, better arch clearance!

#18 · (Edited)
wee update:

car is now in the middle having the panels fitted...

GM 1 piece wings

GM doors, still in bubble wrap

GM full size rear quarters

and as the car sits at the moment

if you look through the windscreen you'll see a couple of dust covers, underneath is a Lancia Beta (never even seen one before) and a mint 3dr cossie. there is also am old benneton F1 car kicking around somewhere which gets used for hill climbs etc.

The guy who is doing all the panel and paint-prep work owns this extremely rare Lancia EVO, has a fairly long story behind it, found somewhere in italy with something like 9km's on the clock and imported here and is a 51 plate. poor camera phone pics do it no justice, this car is awesome!

and the 3dr cossie! but lairy under the bonnet!

#26 ·
yeah, its a 51 plate!:nod: its also ferrari yellow as opposed to regular type yellow apparently

Wow! That's a great load off me mind. Now, if you wouldn't mind telling me who the f*ck you are, apart from someone who feeds people to pigs of course!
cool sig!

yeah, i like dags, like caravans more though! lmao

#30 ·
bloddy hell! where on earth did u get all the gm pannels fron? Front wings arent made anymore and i got 2 new ones with my sri last year (bought late 2005, and aparently they were amongst last in the uk, £80 odd each too!)
Doors were JUST still available, mental prices - close to £300 a side, and those quarters must have cost a fortune!

Hats of to the severe work needed to fit them, end result should be stunning!
Love the brakes!

#31 ·
had them sitting for around 2 years now, mate works in a bodyshop and got a bit of a job lot, found a dealer in ayrshire with stock so bought it all and sold it on, i managed to get this lot rather cheap considering! was going to bite the bullet anyway and pay the GM prices but this came up so bit his arm off!

you can still get GM panels on german ebay and other foreign users on novaload etc, i have a brand new set of GM side skirts coming from Luxemborg of all places! its almost a pity its going back to glacier white after all the body work, tempted to go for a more exotic colour but trying to achieve a factory look as much as possible. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.