Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

My GTE 16V Restoration Thread.

108K views 529 replies 84 participants last post by  Danny G 
#1 ·
At last, the major bodywork is complete. Both arches replaced and a patch on the rear driver's sill and passenger spring mount. Fresh MOT on Saturday, ready for the next year in my ownership. :)

The pics:

As it arrived:

Very good interior, despite 140k miles:

Un-molested engine:

Faded, very rusty, but drove OK. Except that the ABS cut in at low speed braking.

Arch details:

Sills:

Slightly grotty, but solid. So off it went to Station Bodyshop for about 8 years. Well OK, it was 3 weeks but it felt like a century. Restoration begins:

Inner arches not too bad (i.e. still exist).

Ready for primer etc:

Painted:

As it left the bodyshop (I'd painted the wheels myself by this point):

Quick mince over to John's (Dave (whitevan)'s dad) for Benn to mop the faded bits and time to pose with John's new Champion beaut, Dave's 52k mile minter and John's old 8V:

Back home, the rebuilding commences, starting with a the skirts. These rear bits with the proper Vaux clips was surprisingly satisfying:

Whilst Benn gets the body work looking like this:

Using this stuff:

Enough for the day, we went for some mince pics. These are the pics that will make Rusty (previous onwer) cry. Unless he's cold and dead inside:

One of the best bottoms in the business:

:D

I'm dead chuffed. the car drives very well, although I've not been for a proper drive yet. IT still has original suspension components at the moment. I don't plan to lower it, but some Bilstein blacks are on the cards, along with new arms, joints, etc. It still has the standard exhaust, including the cat! I don't mind loosing the cat, but I like the standard rear box and tail pipes, but as these are £110+VAT from Vauxhall Trade Club, I'm gonna try and remove this one and clean/ paint it.

Cost breakdown:

Initial purchase: £175 (Crazy, crazy man!)
Cambelt, rollers, water pump: £110
Arches, re-spray etc: £400
Two Firestone tyres: £60
Remote locking kit: £20
Total: £765.

Not too bad I think. As said, the car has 140k dead on. It came with an obscene amount of bills from Vauxall, with the service book all stamped up. It even had the manufacturer's specified 100k service at about £400! I've always wanted one, and now I have. :)

Just need a new bumper trim with towing eye cover and a wheel centre.

See less See more
#3 ·
that looks awesome my man! just need ablack one in south central to finsh it off!

#17 ·
i nearly cried when i saw that orange peel pic, but then read later on been sorted it, phew.

Looks good and still not spent too much, well done chap.

(you need a cav gsi now:D )

#22 ·
Needs some 15" alloys my m8 has sum fink dey are tsw venins or somfing? & Exorzt is abit puny needs 2 be jap cut dem engins sound well sweet on a big boar bakbox & gd gains 2!!!1!!1!1!!

In seriousness though, that is a stunning turnaround got a bargain and have ended up for a better example of what you could of bought for similar money. Arch job looks fantastic aswell!

:D

#24 ·
you need to further tighten your grasp on the worls supply of cesaros IMO!

#25 ·
Sweet !
Just about to go through the same only all of my outer sills are completely shot !
Rear archers too and the front wings but everything else including the wishbone mounts are excellent.
Whats the sills like to replace,did you replace yours or patch up ?
Cheers in advance,newcomer.......

#26 ·
carpartnut said:
Sweet !
Just about to go through the same only all of my outer sills are completely shot !
Rear archers too and the front wings but everything else including the wishbone mounts are excellent.
Whats the sills like to replace,did you replace yours or patch up ?
Cheers in advance,newcomer.......
some of the sill was cut out and part of the sill,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.