Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Help Needed

361 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cavtastic 
#1 ·
I currently have a 91(j) Astra Gsi and as far as i know they came de-catted?! thats the first question

the manifold on is a 4-1
the story goes on...

where my manifold joins to the centre (or what should be a cat on later models) is blowing like hell. i took it to my local garage today and let them have a look at it.

they say, from there records, my reg of car MUST have been fitted with a CAT when new and that i or the person who owned the car before me have de-catted it :confused:

anyway the garage is now saying i need a new manifold (£300:confused: ) and that i will loose power if i buy a standard one :confused: :confused:

dunno whether i'm being fleeced here.

what do people recommend?!

basically i want the car to be running with same power as standard. which would be the best manifold?

cheers guys

andy

See less See more
#2 ·
i use charlie browns - if you get to know em they will do anyhting for you.

dont **** em off though - i heard of one guy who was being really sh1tty with them, so they put a pound or two of copaslip in the exhaust - aparantly almost impossible to get rid of and smokes forever...

#4 ·
bollox to the £400 for the avons! i work for cooper avon tyres, u can get top-notch ones for about £70. tbh for an astra the best ones are gonna cost about £200 for all 4 including fitting.

as for the manifold, i think they started putting cats on them in 1990? not sure about that. mines 1989 and de-catted, same manifold as the 1 you have now. i was quoted £100 for a new one including fitting from a reputable garage.

what did u do to these guys to make them hate u so...? :confused: lmao

#10 ·
yup mines 4-2-1, another thing which u may need paying attention to is the link from the engine manifold to the downward manifold (assumign yours has this). if its been whacked in the past it can bend slightly, causing leakage.

sorry dunno anything about buying manifolds as i cba to splash out for one, got more serious repairs need doing lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.