Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

astra GTE 2.0 8v

999 views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  tomastramk3 
#1 ·
When i start the engine everything is fine idles at 800 revs ish goning on a short journey it indes fine still 800 ish but if its driven on a longer journey it idles at 1200 revs
so what could be causing this , im guessing the coke is stuck on or sumthing ? any ideas?:confused:

#3 ·
High idle. Main throttle can stick a bit open, check cable and springs. Either that or idle bypass valve needs cleaning out with carb cleaner.

As std I used to get around 280-300 miles per tank driving fairly hard, dropping to 220miles per tank when really driven hard. It's lighter and more tuned now and I can do about 350 miles per tank.

#4 ·
where will i find the idle bypass valve?

also i have a full powerflow system and K&N induction kit on does the car need 'setting up' cos i rang a few places and two said yes they would need to adjust the fueling and two said no they cant adjust anything and just to leave it?

#8 ·
conflicting views really. in my opinion spraying it up with WD40 is just gonna promote it sticking again, as all the airborn crud sticks to the oil.

on my XE i just drowned the thing in carb cleaner. unplug it first, maybe disconnect the battery, carb cleaner + spark = no eyebrows

#9 ·
you cant adjust the fueling on a standard set up, and you wont need to if the afm is working as a filter change will at most allow more air flow which the afm will sense and adjust fueling accordingly.

the only adjustment possible is the idle co mixture.

#11 ·
ive cleaned out the icv, wasnt particulary dirty and its still got the same problem. when cold its perfect, drive for a little while and it idles at slighty better than before 1100 rpm
This is still to high isnt it?:confused:

I have been running a K&N on it since i had it could this be causing it?

I have a 5 inch tail pipe which after a day or so is coated in soot, this points to overfuelling or do all soot up after this amount of time

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#13 ·
Next thing then: check any ECU fault codes. Do a search for it on here. Essentially you have to connect two pins together on the diagnostics socket that's under the engine bay on the passenger side. Codes are then flashed up on the dash by flashing the ECU light on and off.

Also check that the throttle is properly closed.

#14 ·
change your cts sensor located right behind alternator youll see it blue sensor.this is basically your choke and it sounds like your prob.try one on no harm in trying

#19 ·
dont have them on the 20l 8v only the idle co adjuster which makes naff all difference to idle speed.

if you are 100% sure induction and icv are fine then you'd better check ignition parts and does the engine /ecu light work when engine is first started then go out??

ive had a cts go and it just makes the car cut out, a dodgy cap has caused erratic idling but a constant high idling in my experiance was caused by sticking throttle cable, icv gummed up, induction leak

#20 ·
thats the next problem, i have noticed the engine management light does not come on when the ignition is on. the only light i have on is the battery light.
i checked bulbs all fine, indicators work, blue main beem light, fog light, and battery light
so im missing handbrake light, oil level/pressure, brake fluid, and engine management.
any ideas?

btw checked fuse all ok!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.