Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

nova handling

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ben k 
#1 ·
me and my mate have just built a 2.0 8v nova but the road handling of the front is a bit dodgy any ideas th get it better it allready has lowered springs

#3 ·
As Ben_Copeland said, get some proper poundage springs, decent dampers and a set of polybushes will help. Also, replace the top mounts with new ones. You could use eccentric alloy ones, but it might be too harsh for you, so best stick with GM stuff. If you wanted to spend more cash, you could try the TAS castor bracket kit. Make sure there's no play in the steering. If there is, replace the rack.
Did you stitch or seam weld the front end before the engine was fitted? If you didn't, then that could be one of the reasons for dodgy handeling.

Cheers,
Kieran

#4 ·
Ok here are the things tha cause it:

Non seam welded bay - this lets the heavy engine flex the bay a lot
Standard dampeners - bottoming out all the time, also wrong spring rate for lowering springs

Also if you haven't done already, fabricate some lowered tie bar mounts (about 20-30mm lower is fine), this is supposed to force the front wheels to the floor more thereby increasing grip

My setup ran 60mm deduction all round with adjustable dampeners, lowered tie bar mounts. It handled just as well as when it was a 1.6 GTE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.