bypassing oxygen/lambda sensor on c20xe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bypassing oxygen/lambda sensor on c20xe

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    vectra gsi 2.5

Smile bypassing oxygen/lambda sensor on c20xe

hi guys i just had 2 do this 2 my cavy yesterday after changing the manifold,had read before you had 2 get at the wires going in 2 the ecu "pin20"......but found an easier way.if your car has the plug for the oxygen sensor,just plug the sensor in,then cut the wires going 2 the sensor "not the 1's comming from the car"ther will be 2 whites and a black,tape up the whites seperatly!,and earth the black wire.....job done! tested it an no fault codes appear after a good test run.hope this helps a few of you out? "DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN DOING THIS THO" cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    various

Re: bypassing oxygen/lambda sensor on c20xe

why nt just leave the lambda senosr connected but in a lambda sleeve:

or put a couple of washers in the normal hole where it would screw in so its slightly out of the main gas flow and dosnt get such a rich reading.
    This is my ride. There are many like it but this one is mine. Without my ride, I am nothing. Without me, my ride is nothing... Hoorah-Ha

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    4 cavs gsi 4x4/v6/td/mk2

good thinking mate saves having to locate pin to to bridge it
    Last edited by gilly-06; 12-05-2011 at 17:05.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Lada Riva

Quick question , why do you need to bypass it ?

I see that pic is a Ecotec ?
    I canny invest in ya and for that reason , I'm oot .

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    vectra gsi 2.5

the sleeve thing looks cool! im bypassing it as i got a new manifold,but it doesnt have the hole for the lambda in it,so was throwing up the ecu light with code "13" open circuit.....and iv fitted an older AFM "adjustable 1" so had no need for the lambda,and had read before about grounding pin 20 on the ecu ,and the ecu then ignores any lambda input "like older xe's".....just didnt like the idea of tampering with ecu....hence doing what i did 2 bypass it,and just thought it might help or save some others time trying 2 acheive the same thing.been running for 2 days now with no ecu light or codes stored.all in all just a quicker way 2 bypass your lambda "if you needed 2"

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Lada Riva

Ahh , right ok ... yes I have owned a 20XE-J , with no CAT or lambda .
    I canny invest in ya and for that reason , I'm oot .

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cav turbo and XJR

Trouble is the ecu will be recieving a lean signal and therefore run the engine rich.

This will not be optimum performance, damage the cat and use more petrol.

It would not susprise me if after a week of running that it threw up an error code.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    vectra gsi 2.5

but the way it is earthed means the ecu ignores any signal recieved from the lambda.......like an xej ecu,it just relies on the AFM and knock sensors,and iv fitted an early adjustable AFM from a gsi with no CAT or lambda and can be set up properly now ...as before turning it made no difference as it used the signal from the lambda 2adjust air and fuel,and i have no CAT ,and have done over 100miles so far motorway and town and its driving spot on,no codes or lights ...."where as before i did this i got 50 feet down the road and it wasnt running or idiling correct,no power and ecu light was on"

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cav turbo and XJR

so you have earthed the black lambda wire going to the ecu then ?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    vectra gsi 2.5

there was 2 whites and a black,i earthed the black yes was out again tonight gave it fair bit of stick an was driving perfectly

MIGWeb User
    Drives

pin 20 on the ecu is still open circuit, so it will still be expecting sensor signal. it took 2 days for my LET to come up with the ecu fault code when i disconnected my 02 sensor (it was faulty, switching too slow)

just trying to work out what earthing the black wire will do, i think from memory thats the signal wire, i.e would normally be expecting a return a voltage to the ecu, if there is none i think it thinks the engine is on coast down, fuel cut off. need to look at it later with the pinouts !

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    vectra gsi 2.5

but this mod doesnt work with LET's only xe's ....dont know why? but i know people with them that have tried it and it didnt work?but im on day 3 now and 150 miles in,and still no running probs,or ecu light an mpg has increased slightly,where as before it was an instant ecu light on,bad running and cutting out ect....ill keep an eye on it an let use know of any changes.cheers

+ Reply to Thread