Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

battery light

539 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  corsa sport 3 
#1 ·
i have just bought a 1.7td cavalier. it drove fine for the 60 mile trip home even though it has been sitting on a driveway for 3 months. i got home and fitted a sub and amp in the car and after driving around a bit the battery light came on. the battery is brand new so i don't think it is that. been told there is a fuse that stop the alternator working does any know if this could be the case? any help welcome

#10 ·
sorry but no matter what load you put on the electrical system, the light should not come on and if it does it means there is some problem with the electrical circuit (such as poor connections on alternator terminals, poor earths on alternator circuit or an internal fault within the alternator)

The red light can only come on when a potenial difference exists i.e. (charging volatage and the battery voltages are different, this can happen when the alternator stops charging due to an internal fault or its connections have become high resistance like poor or corroded terminal)

The battery voltage and the alternator (when charging) are always equal under all load condition, so if a heavy load is imposed on an alternator, the voltage may go down but it also goes down at the battery terminal as well equally so there is no potential difference as voltage goes down at both places almost at the same time.

If your battery light glows dim, on load, then this can be due to bad or poor connecytions from the alternator including poor earthing on the alternator.

#11 ·
i checked the fuses and one was broken so i changed that then i remembered that my mate tighten the nut on the battery with pliers as we didn't have any spanners or that on us. i got one and went out to to see if i could tighten it any more and it did tight up alot more. could these maybe been the cause?

#12 ·
well yes, poor connection to battery is same as a poor connection at the alternator side, since poor connection can prevent electrical charge getting into the battery hence why you would get the red light, and the electrical charge can stop at either battery terminal or the alternator terminal, whichever, so yes you tell us if your battery light has gone off now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.