Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

2.6 Omega brakes onto a Cavalier?

390 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pitstoppete 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade the brakes on my Cavalier and have found some 2.6 V6 Omega brakes. Will they fit on to my 1995 Cavalier, obviously the discs would need redrilling. But with carriers etc will they fit?

Cheers.

#3 ·
iirc,
omega front calipers may well fit the hub, but the disc will flop about all over the std hub. (would need to double check the hub diameters here) for 5 stud cavs, these may well fit, four stud ones would need the hub to disc spacers, like i have made in the past, and others still sell.
discs may well be 296mm (iirc), but the offset bell is all wrong and wont work.

best bet, depending on your braking woe, is second hand vectra/late calibra/saab 900/9-3 288 calipers from a scrappy, as the discs and pads are cheaper and more readily available,
nice new 288 discs and pads from trade club for about 50£ all up, (iirc) or Lotus elise SA2 front discs (perfect fit, without redrilling)
4 new copper washers and it's done, all under most vox. 15" rims.

thats if you dont mind a slightly longer brake pedal as the caliper piston will now be a bigger diameter. this causes the longer pedal, as for the same movement at the pad you will have to be pressing the pedal further down. can be helped out with a turbo/V6 master cylinder, but the size difference is minimal.

better bet would be using the biggest disc possible within the constraints of the caliper/inside of the wheel and spacing the std 2.0 ATE caliper away from the hub with a bracket/spacer, so the std pad gets to the edge of the disc. with this, you have more effective braking to srat with as the piston is further out from the centre, with the pedal staying the same firmness as you havent changed the caliper. this then in turn underbrakes the rear axle, which then lends iteslf for an upgrade, but in a balanced way.

how bad is your braking problem? or are you just after filling up the wheels!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.