Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

performance tips

2K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  Gordo 
#1 ·
hello :) i haved decided im goin to save up around 5 months worth of wages taking of lining costs :) and then i should have about 4 grand so basicly wot would you do performance wise ? bare in mind im keeping my 1.6 i have oready asked i gy about some boddies on here so fire some advice at me please

what id like to do is

head word
cams
lighten cranck , engine ballance
maybe change to boddies
ecu

i dont realy fancy goin turbo yet is there any good idea's i have not mentioned

#4 ·
WOULDNT BOTHERE WITH THE 1.6 LUMP IF UV GOT 4KMIGHT AS WELL BUY A LET ENGNE

my bad for the caps

why not go turbo, pointlss wasting large sums of cash on a 1.6 , or even a xe would be better spent.

#10 ·
yes but it wont, i mnow its good to try something different but just not worth it

why spend loads of money getting your 1.6 to catch up with a xe when the xe will cost you less, its never gonna beat it.

can get a xe for £200 ish then spend some cash on bits, could tune it higher and have a nice 200bhp for same ish money

dont waste it on the .6, might as well burn your cash

#9 ·
First off well done for trying something different to the usual xe's and LET's
id just be tempted to get an instant 150bhp with an XE

if i were you id stick carbs on it and stick a lairy set of cams in it

steve

#12 ·
If I had 4k to spend on a Corsa, heres roughly what I'd do,

6 point cage
288mm front discs with 4 pot calipers
15" Comps/similar with 205/50/15 tyres
Fibreglass panels wherever possible
Bucket seats/harnesses
F13CR gearbox with LSD
Proflex coilovers all round

It's not going to be the fastest car ever, but it would probably get round corners better than a springer spaniel, and it's a car you could actually use. Power isn't everything (though it is nice at times lmao)

Lot's of useful parts in here ;)

http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/

#18 ·
People are looking for different things in their cars - putting a premium on handling/cornering speed can overcome a lot more horsepower in the twisty stuff.
Depending on what you've got - good tyres on moderate sized rims - a bit of sidewall height will make it a lot more forgiving/fun than a really low profile.
Springs and dampers - maybe bushes if they're sloppy.
Cage if you're doing track work/illegal (;)) speed road driving.
Good supportive and strong seat - harness if doing track work, etc.
Fire extinuisher (better to have and not need ...).
GOOD exhaust system.
Throttle bodies (SBD do a nice bit of kit) or motorcycle carbies - SBD kit and exhaust is supposed to be good for 160hp, alone.
Mildish cam' and/or head rework.

Heck, there are dozens of ways to attack the build but think carefully about exactly what you want out of the car and prioritize that.

#20 ·
madmann, i dont have any extra advice for you but i'm just like you in terms of getting the most out of what you have and to me i want to tune it even more when everyone says 'stuff that your wasting your time, just put in a proper turbo'd motor' or something like that. i'm sure you know that in reality your chances are less than 100% in terms of trying to prove (beat?) someone but so long as you know and you want to givit a go why not. over half those people that are telling you are probably telling you from what they've heard and only a small group or no one has actually tested to see how well your type of motor will do. sooo best of luck to you.
jack

#21 ·
ive heard that after alot of money spent on a 16 to get it to rally spec your looking at in the region of 250 hp but it prob wont be good for everyday use. depends what you want it for.

track use id say 16 but for jus on the road id say xe r let with f28 and a lsd. personally im goin xe but ill prob never see a track in it

#26 ·
i wasnt trying to be unhelpful or slating what you want to do. Its just slappin in a XE imo would be the best gaines and then spend money on the XE which would then be a great powerful engine thats all, so dont sit there and slag me down.

Im only commenting on the most cost effective power point in my view. Me personlly i wouldnt waste my time with the 1.6. Ive got friends and know people running lets and xe's in there corsa, with suspension mods that make it handle nicely too. so its not as if it wont.

also, yes you could probably tune the 1.6 to beat an xe, but then tune the xe up , will it still beat it? Im not sure on this so its not a dig, but im PRESUMING if you do the same tuning work to the xe that you would the 1.6, the xe will then be superior once more?

i understand the lightness of the engine etc, like the e30 m3, but like that, stick the m3 e36 evo engine in and its a different ball game, heavier engine, but will still wip the orogonal m3 with suspension mods.

Thats all im saying, is the car has an xe with suspension mods, its going to be just as good, just faster.

was only thinking of power for £££'s

but whatever you want to do it totaly up to you. SO, i am not wrong, dont be arragant. People only on here trying to help

#28 ·
thats fair enough then fella.

was only saying what i would do on a more cost affective note, that be all. but like you say, do it the way you want it.

I know a few people who've tuned lesser engine than 2L's and moaned when they werent as quick as em cos they've spent so much money on em. Ive just been a person who wouldnt see the point on spending cash on a engine to make it as fast as one that can be bought cheaper if you get me.

Will be interesting to watch what the outcome is when you make me eat my words lol

i dont know how much power etc you can squeeze out of the 1.6 lumps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.