Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

my new car, verdict!

951 views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  philip2 
#1 ·
I just got a corsa gsi, and i love it, it has the c16xe engine, and it performs so well. It does have a slight problem which is explained in another thread, but apart from that i am so impressed with its performance and wondering if the engine was stardard. It has exhaust from cat back and induction kit, but in high revs it just goes like stink. I roughly timed the 0-60 and it was between 7-8 seconds, so just wondering if this is normal, obvoiusly that time is not accurate, just feels quick compared to driving a 1.2 8v for 2 and half years. I was also wondering if a different inlet and exhaust manifold really make a difference, becuase some1 on here is selling a inlet manifol and he says it will give me 15-20bhp more, so wondering if anyone has these and if they really are that good, and noticable, cheers

#2 ·
hasnt anyone got any of these perfomance inlets then???

#4 ·
do you know what his rough 0-60 times are

#10 ·
Believe its 8.7 ish. Back of total vauxhall says 9 but i would bet any amount of money that mine gets to 60 quicker than 9 seconds. They pull strong in fairness to them, real strong engines, mines just done 102,000 and really is sweet as a nut, im just waiting to fully rebuild it and add some goodies;)

#6 ·
thinking maybe cammed if it goes like stink at high revs! if this is true it may be chipped too! if these are done then you are really lucky!!! unsure how much a manifold makes on these cars as most 4 branchers tend to make good mid range torque with engine tuning, but the mantzel inlets are a must for good power increase! the rest just makes it better. there was a guy on here once with a mantzel inlet and exhaust showing around 135-140bhp on 2 different RR printouts, but the power apparently is also mid to top end.

#7 ·
ye i was thinking maybe it was cammed, it gets to 4k and then just kicks in, ye i will get a new inlet and exhaust manifold then, and i will be definatly happy with its performance

#8 ·
You can get different inlets for the C16XE - Dbilas, Lexmaul and Mantzel are the most recognised ones available. I think the C16XE came of the line with 107bhp standard, after having my Corsa rolling roaded with just a Mantzel box on it produced 137bhp, that's with a standard exahaust and manifold. They don't come cheap though, I think they are 750euros from Mantzel!!!! And second hand ones sometimes go for about £300, and they usually aren't for sale very long. 30bhp for £300 aint that bad though! There are inlets which you can buy which are basically a copy of the Mantzel box, they don't seem to give the power of the Mantzel box but they are not far off. You can get them for £200 - £250.

Ive got the same thing with my engine, once it hits 5grand it's like take off! But it aint got cams so maybe that's just what they are like standard??

#9 ·
ye but mine is misfiring, and performs real crap befor 4.5k so thats why i think it seems to get better, cos after 4.5k it stopd misfiring lol. I was looking at the lexmaul one, because i beleive mantzel is now out of business, and i think the lexmaul ram air looks great but i have only seen it for the x14xe and x16xe engines, and people say the inlet is different on c16xe, so will it not fit?

#11 ·
ye those figures arew never correct, the sport does it in around 9.2 i think but a gsi is meant to be nearly a second quicker isnt it, with the c16xe engine i mean, and i still think figures are only guidlines, depends on the day, obvoisly i was only using a stop watch so wasnt accurate at all, but i doubt its much over 8 seconds, my engine has only done 45k tho so still good, apart from its misfiring problem, i just wanna beat vts/106 gti's really because the 0-60 for them is 7.7s which is really good, so hopefully with a new inlet and exhaust and maybe chip it should do :)

#12 ·
Mine was miss firing just the other day actually!! Had a look under the bonnet and the induction hose had a crack in it and one of the vacuum pipes linked to the fuel regulator had come of. So just check little things like that first then if the problem doesn't sort out move onto plugs etc

I don't think Mantzel have gone out of business, it's just that they do not have a UK importer now, so you have to buy all of their stuff from Mantzel in Germany!! What a ballache.

The Lexmaul looks the business but I've never bee sure about it. The point of the performance inlets is to reduce the path the air has to take before entering the cylinder head, it does do this but no where near to the extent of the Mantzel inlet. The Lexmaul inlet will certainly give you a bhp boost, but still not as impressive as the Mantzel box.

#18 ·
The Lexmaul looks the business but I've never bee sure about it. The point of the performance inlets is to reduce the path the air has to take before entering the cylinder head, it does do this but no where near to the extent of the Mantzel inlet. The Lexmaul inlet will certainly give you a bhp boost, but still not as impressive as the Mantzel box.
So what inlet would be the best? And why any suggestions?? :beer:

#14 ·
no, as they are direct any way! the main point to improve the eco is the head! the bottom end is better than the xe as it has better water channels and webbing, but the top end is bad in the sense of the flow! the design is good just not finished prop! thats why some people have fitted red top heads to eco bottom ends! flowing porting and camming with remap make the eco very good in deed! also i think the manifold has plenty of room for improvment.

#16 ·
what are the Diblias inlets like, or is mantzel the best, so does anyone know where i can get them from in Germany, and what price are they. I ve also heard a lot of people say that to increase power on the c16xe you need to do headwork, but what do people mean by headwork?

#17 ·
I wouldn't like to buy one new, you can get them from www.mantzel.de but they are roughly 750-800euros i think which is about £550.

If you really want one I will be selling a Mantzel inlet in a couple of month, I will be selling it on here. I only recently bought it (not new) because I dropped and broke my other 1!! But I have a LET to go in my Corsa now and I will be rebuilding the C16XE with throttle bodies probably so I no longer need the Mantzel.

Headwork can mean just about anything, you can have the simple port and polish, or go the whole hog and get cams, springs, lifters, guides, pulleys, valve angle etc just depends on what type of power your after of course.

#19 ·
im gettin 4 mantzel style inlets made up this week, if anyone want pics...should be ready by friday, im putting one on my gsi this week.

can also port/polish, overbore, balance...the works, ask if want price for anything:D

UV - most gsi's i know of seem to 'come on cam' about 4k...mine pulls at 3.5 then harder at 4.5 up to 6.6(just below limiter), the c16 will flow to 180bhp, before any head work, but no harm in opening up the exhaust abit, and polishing it up, and giving the inlets abit of a polish.

ive just done a mates valver head, try and get some pics up, doing a sri 130 head at mo..going from 25mm exhaust opened to 30mm:D

#21 ·
very vague(spl) question on how much bhp.

depends how much you take out the ports, and other components in the car, a ported head will work better with a bigger cam, same as a cam works better with bigger ports.

with a semi decent port job maybe 8-15bhp! depends if they match port exhaust to the gaskets, open up the inlets, if inlets are opened you'd need aftermarket ecu to map for fuel, standard ecu's dont like big ports. you cant just hack out the ports either, big ports can cause loss of bhp, so its not that simple to do...properly.

#22 ·
so what do you mean by opening up the exhaust a little bit and polish the inlet, so can you do this without getting an aftermarket ecu depending on how much you open them up, how much do you charge for that, and have you got any pics of the inlet yet, still interested

#23 ·
will try and get pics off cam fone....or pm mob number, and i could send few pics of mates valver head, ive just done

do match port on exhaust, and polish on inlets with skim, lapped, ready to go straight back on for about £150, i straighten the exhaust ports, to increase the flow out, and polish, the inlets are smoothed out, but not polished up quite as much as exhaust, as fuel will 'pool' and drip into chambers, and cause melted pistons due to uneven combustion

hopefully have inlets made endof this week, so will send pics soon as got them, putting one on mine this week:D

#25 ·
how much has all that cost you though, just bought the car so little short on funds, so philip2, your looking at arounf £300 for an inlet and all the porting and polishing, so what bhp would you expect from all that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.