astra keeps stalling
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: astra keeps stalling

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2

astra keeps stalling

Hi there anyone out there to help me my astra 1.4 glsi (92) keeps stalling for ne reaason i have replaced the fuel filter new spark plugs what else could it possibly be any ideas please this is Mrs Scurr,,,,,,please get in touch many thanks 4 looking

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A4 sport avant Clio172
    Idle control valve....
    www.shonkyopels.de

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    eeeerrr sorry to ask but where is the idle valve then mmmmim blonde lol

Dom
    Drives
    73bhp MK4 Astra POS
    Either idle control valve or a speedo pulse sender error.

Quite often the Astras and Corsas will stall if they dont get a proper speed pulse from the back of the dashboard.

Does the ECU light come on on the dash at all ? If it does then you can read off the fault codes using the guide at www.topbuzz.co.uk
    Dom's new online shop and forums - www.picbits.co.uk
    Please don't ask for general advice by Private Messages - PMs are for PRIVATE MESSAGES. General advice should be asked on the Forums !

Dom
    Drives
    73bhp MK4 Astra POS
    Quote Originally Posted by scurr
    eeeerrr sorry to ask but where is the idle valve then mmmmim blonde lol
    ***** awaits the rush from testosterone fuelled 17 year olds requesting pictures to back up that statement *****
    Please don't ask for general advice by Private Messages - PMs are for PRIVATE MESSAGES. General advice should be asked on the Forums !

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    Yea the engine thingy light comes on,,, i think it says the Engine control indicator but briefly goes off and drives well - to be honest the car is not worth a lot of money so didn't really want splash out on much -- however my astra is my first car so truly love it

how much do u think were talking and could i resolve it without getting a garage involved

(as for the photos well my husband would like that ,,,lol

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    Do the fault code test. You'll prob find out that it's either the idle stepper motor or the lambda sensor causing trouble. Does the car run fine, but stalls when you dip the clutch when stopping at a junction? Does it only do it once the engine has warmed up, i.e. it's 100% ok when cold?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    yes it does all what your on about,, but sorry i don't no what you mean about the code test cos its just a light on the dash

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Do the fault code test. You'll prob find out that it's either the idle stepper motor or the lambda sensor causing trouble. Does the car run fine, but stalls when you dip the clutch when stopping at a junction? Does it only do it once the engine has warmed up, i.e. it's 100% ok when cold?

Dom
    Drives
    73bhp MK4 Astra POS
    Quote Originally Posted by scurr
    yes it does all what your on about,, but sorry i don't no what you mean about the code test cos its just a light on the dash
    Look at the bit on fault codes on www.topbuzz.co.uk

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    thanks for the info - i will have to give it a go - have u ever tried it and is it easy - I don't need to buy anything to do the test do i????

Motronic or GM-Multec Flash Codes

Thanks

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    Yours will be Multec, either CFi or MPi depending on which 1.4 engine you have (C14NZ CFi, C14SE MPi). Multec CFi has a teardrop shaped black box on top of the engine with two screws holding it down, MPi has a grey/silver rectangular shaped thing and 4 yellow injectors (just trying to explain it as simply as I can lol).

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    Yours will be Multec, either CFi or MPi depending on which 1.4 engine you have (C14NZ CFi, C14SE MPi). Multec CFi has a teardrop shaped black box on top of the engine with two screws holding it down, MPi has a grey/silver rectangular shaped thing and 4 yellow injectors (just trying to explain it as simply as I can lol).

Many Thanks lol lmao i will try

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    hi well i have tried doing the above - i think - anyways some said its my fuel filter been clogged up,, so i got it changed with a new one,,,started straight away and then once got up to temp it dies off not neccessary while dipping the clutch this happen while driving along like something was pulling the engine power,, the engine turned over fine but would not start,,after a number of attempts i got bumped off,, but getting really embarssed now,,lol,
    i have checked the battery and its got 11.8 v and when engine running goes up around the 14 v mark - so then i go for drive car gets up to temeperature and quite often the ECU light DOES NOT come on,, but i still keep stalling haaaaa,,,
    if i was to change the distrubtor cap and oil would that help or i am look in the wrong areas to fix this??? Thanks in advance

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    What codes did the fault code test come up with? Which engine do you have, SPi NZ or MPi SE? When driving along and the engine starts to loose power, do the ignition lights come on/engine dies completely, or does it just stuggle but keep running? When it wouldn't start last time, did you check to see whether it had spark and fuel?

PS: changing the oil won't make any difference

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    a friend of mine did the code not too sure but i will check with him,, the engine dies and the red lights come on then i can't start it,, it takes alone time to bump it off but always from cold it starts perfect just seems to happen when at a certain temp

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    If it's a distributor model with a hall sensor, it could be the hall sensor getting hot and cutting out. Once left sitting for a few mins for the sensor to cool down, the car will prob fire up and drive on again. This is a fairly common problem on the 8v engines. Find out what the fault test came up with first though, unless you have another distributor/hall sensor lying around spare you could try for nothing, i.e. don't go spending money replacing things that might be fine .

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    An Alfa
    I had a very similar problem, and it was the ignition coil overheating.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    thanks for everyone input on this,, well i have just got someone to do to do the fault code and it comes up with 1 flash pause then 2 flashes - 12 - = "Initation of Diagnosis" - Fault N/a
    and also i have noticed that the ecu light has stopped comin on ,, well long enough before my car keeps stalling at normal temperature,, so after everyones input i am after doing the Idle Speed control Value - the engine is the C14SE - Multec
    so where about the value to clean with carb cleaner or replace,,, is easy to get to cos i have had a quick look and can't see it

Thanks again,,loads

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    Idle stepper motor is on the top/rear of the throttlebody housing (follow the rubber hose from the airbox towards the engine, it's at the engine side of that lol). It's got a 4-wire plug plugged into it, two small torx screws holding it on. I doubt this'll solve the problem of the car cutting out while driving along the road though. That definitely sounds like something getting hot and cutting out until it has cooled down. Idle stepper motor sticking would cause the car to be hard to start sometimes, or cut out when coming to a stop at a junction, or revving too high/low in traffic.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    stuck again guys and dolls i was going to try and clean the idol control valve today but got the books etc and jacked the car up and to my avail dont know where it is bought the carb spray ready jacked up and couldnt find it was most cheased off PLEASE anyone please help lost without my little baby car,,,,,,,,please help a damsel in distress,,,,,, Mrs Scurr (Tracey) ,,,

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    It's on top of the engine, you don't need to jack the car up. Follow the rubber pipe from the black plastic box where the airfilter is. When you hit the throttlebody/the bit where the accelerator cable is attatched to, you'll find two plugs on it, one is a 3 wire plug on the back of the throttlebody, that's throttle position, the other is the 4-pin plug/idle control valve.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    Many Thanks,, found it and cleaned it with some carb spary,, the car has been fine for two days with out any ECU light coming on,,
    then clunk,, it happened again,,, stuck in traffic and nobody would push me off,,sob,, the light came on and i stuck in the paper clip and it came up with the 3 flash pulse then 5 flash which says the idle control is poor or faulty,, i have since removed it again and really cleaned it up,,, do u think this needs replacing or do u think it my be the coil over heating
    Andrew Page said its 26 + vat for a idle motor

Thanks

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 Nova, Astra Mk3
    If you cleaned it well and it only lasted a couple of days before causing trouble again, I'd say try a replacement. Even a spare one from a scrappy would be worth a try if you don't want to buy new.
    Last edited by Kieran; 11-10-2006 at 18:14.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    An Alfa
    Does the car start straight back up after it cuts out?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra SRI 150 2.2
    no it takes a while,, seems to cool down then it drive fine,, (dammit)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast