Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

steering lock woes

446 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  af1 
#1 ·
i got a car with a busted steering lock, are these easy to replace when broken?

#3 ·
Whole column normally, blind bolts arghh :mad:

#5 ·
Fixed mine the other dasy had been busted for ages, When you remove the key from the ignition the lock should come out about a CM with the key hence out comes the pin and the steering locks when turned , On my car the spring behing the barrel had simply snapped so it would no longer push out when they key was removed, If yours is the same as this you simply need to remove they barrel... (see your haynes guide) it just slots out with the key you have to push in a pin on the column at the same time. Then find yourself a suitable spring and replace, Mines Fixed :) You wont need to get involved with a new column (shear bolts) until you have checked the barrel as this is the likely cause and its much simpler... Matt

#6 ·
if you let me know what car it is then i can give you advise as to whats wrrong and how to fix it like i say i worked in an insurance bodyshop fixing knockoffs and attempted knockoffs most vauxhalls only have trouble when people try to nick em let us know whats happened and ill give a solution:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.