Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Astra GSi ticking

780 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul 
#1 ·
Have a bit of a horrible ticking noise on the astra lately, guess it's the tappets. Is it worth taking the engine part just to replace them, or is a pain to mess around just for them?
Cheers

#2 ·
You can take them apart and clean them which helps. Before you do that though, it could also be a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, or the injectors ticking. Does it only happen when the car's cold for a couple of minutes, or all the time? When was the oil last changed?

#5 ·
take the rocker off, take the camcaps off (spiral), remove cams, extract lifters, knock middle out on plank, clean in degreaser, refill with oil, retime and reversal is a rocket removal or something :beer:

#6 ·
htimsllib said:
it's ****ed i'll give you £100 for the car lmao!
Haha, idiot.

You can take them apart and clean them which helps. Before you do that though, it could also be a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, or the injectors ticking. Does it only happen when the car's cold for a couple of minutes, or all the time? When was the oil last changed?
It does need a new manifold gasketas it does tick loudly on startup for a few seconds, but then that dies down, and it's a constant ticking. I forgot about injectors, could be those I suppose, thanks.

take the rocker off, take the camcaps off (spiral), remove cams, extract lifters, knock middle out on plank, clean in degreaser, refill with oil, retime and reversal is a rocket removal or something
Spot on mate, cheers

#10 ·
Yeah actually, it's probably more likely to be that I guess as the car is starting to want to cut out at about 500 rpm recently, have only just linked the two. It's not the ICV as i've just done that recently anyway. Guess i'll have to try the gasket at some point, looks like a few of the manifold bolts are either missing, or snapped inside the head, was like it when I got it.

#11 ·
the lifters rarely need replacing - cleaning normally does it. Only thing to watch out for is grooves across them. normally they should spin in their bores to even the wear, but sometimes they stop if a bit of cack gets in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.