Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Give me good news man...

804 views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Reverb 
#1 ·
Okay, as some of you may know. I've had a V6 Vectra for a while now. The timing belt went on it and i've since had the top end rebuilt.

Was out a run today, driving along at about 70-80 and the oil pressure light came on. I backed off right away, was turning off the bypass and dropped down a gear as I was slowing, the car kind of jerked and I dropped the clutch (at first it felt like I'd got 1st rather than 3rd) I looked down at the dash and the ignition was off. I had infact got 3rd gear, but the engine wasn't running, hence the lurch forward. Then came the turning without power steering lmao God thats a heavy motor.

Anyhow, rolled to a halt and gave it a minute. Tried to start and got nothing, the starter just clicked. I got out and opened the oil filler cap and **** loads of white smoke / steam came out. The temp guage was sitting at about 85°C Waited for it to come right back down and tried again, all dash lights on, starter clicks and lights go out, lights come back on when ignition is returned to the 2nd turn stage.

Tell me its not f00ked again, Please...

Any idea's as to what could be wrong would be most helpful, cheers lads.

See less See more
#8 ·
or the engine has run out of oil and promptly siezed itself?

why did u try to keep it running, that light means less than 3psi of oil pressure,

it means "Turn the engine off NOW" not in 2 mins once u stop, or 5 mins to the next service station

u should have dipped the clutch, turned ignition off and coasted to a stop

remove all the spark plugs and see if it will turn over, if there IS water in the cylinders its likely to have bent some rods

either way this isnt gonna be a cheap fix, its ****ed.

#10 ·
perhaps an oil pump failure then?

speed isnt an issue its engine RPM

u dip the clutch and switch engine off at 70mph and u'd still go about 1/4 of a mile before u stopped, which is plenty of time to get onto hard shoulder or onto the grass verge

how long was it running with that light on?

if it wont crank with the plugs out then its ****ed, either bent rods or its siezed

either way its new block territory

#11 ·
Oil pump was going through my mind..

As for the light, it came on, I noticed it straight away, lifted my foot and then the light kinda dimmed, almost went out and then came back on. Then I went for the brake and pulled off. 20 seconds probably from light on to pulling up, and even then, after the engine died, I had it in neutral. Will get it stripped down a bit tomorrow and let you know if it turns without plugs.

#14 ·
Same thing happened to my 2.0 8v - was the oil pump. It cut out on me doing about 80mph - pulled over straight away then it wouldnt start - well for 5 mins - when it had cooled down i got it turned over and drove it 5 miles home! It was the day after I slick 50'd it so i think the PTFE made up for the lack of braincells.

#17 ·
this is exactly what happened to my xe nova! when i stripped the engine down, one of the bigend shells was in four peices!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.