Corsa C - Washer system not working!
Closed Thread

Thread: Corsa C - Washer system not working!

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Post Corsa C - Washer system not working!

Hi, First of all I'm new to the site, looks nice

My bro has a Corsa C shape (latest), 2000 registered, and over the past few days the washer jets no longer work (front nor back). I can't even hear the pump, so am guessing this is the problem.

Decided to check the fuse (two are listed in the handbook). One is supposed to be 15A, but is a 20A in the car, the other doesn't exist. I am guessing the other is for headlamp washers or something.

Anyways, there seem to be a few fuses that dont relate to the handbook! :S. Would the wrong rating fuse in there mean the pump could blow if something went wrong? It has always worked before, and should have been set at the factory from new.

Anyone with a new shape Corsa know where abouts is the washer pump is located and how can i test it?

Many thanks

Duncan

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GSI
    Welcome to site

Dont really know about corsa c but i would of thought the motor for the washer wiper would be on the washer bottle or a few wires linking to it....Have a close look

If the fuse is bigger it should still work..........The fuse is just there as a circuit breaker......mind you if your bowing fuses, bigger than there supposed to be then you gota prob. Check all the fuses in the fuse box

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    Hi Duncan,

Glad u followed my advice lol
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Hi, Thanks for the reply/welcome!

I checked most of the fuses and they are fine. I stopped at the one i removed and all the lights came on, that was a little worrying!!

I couldnt see much leading from the washer bottle, it's a bit tight behind the bulkhead.. although I'll have another look in the daylight tomorrow!

Would be nice to test the pump for sure.....

Thanks

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    If you have a digital voltmeter, get someone to operate the washers inside the car and measure the voltage across the electrical terminals on the pump at the same time. You should measure 12V DC. If there is a voltage but the pump isn't working then the pump is fercked.

Oh and welcome by the way. It's a good site - I only joined a couple of weeks back myself.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C / RWD Nova
    Washer pump fuse is in the fuse box under the bonnet (just in front of the n/s strut top, under the large plastic cover)

There's a small black plastic cover that covers the top ten fuses
    Remove that and the washer pump fuse is the top middle one !!! (3rd from left)

From factory is should be a 10 amp mini fuse but vauxhall released a bulletin to main dealers to replace it with a 15 amp one to cure the problem of it blowing !!!!

Dave
    Last edited by fearless; 26-02-2005 at 22:44.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Thank you for the quick replies!

Where abouts is the washer pump?? im guessing it's fairly close to the washer fluid reservoir but i cant find it, and it's dark outside! thought it may be hidden behind the wing or something?

The 3rd fuse seems to be a 20A in my brother's Corsa.. I think that's it anyways. Fuse seems intact !

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C / RWD Nova
    Are you sure you have removed the small plastic cover (about 2 by 1 inch) and checked the correct fuse ???

Washer pump is located in the washer bottle - remove the wiring to it and connect a test lamp across the two terminals - if it lights up when you work the washers - the pump is probably f**ked

Dave

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    Ah the good ol test lamp...Legendary in fault finding!!!
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless
    Are you sure you have removed the small plastic cover (about 2 by 1 inch) and checked the correct fuse ???

Washer pump is located in the washer bottle - remove the wiring to it and connect a test lamp across the two terminals - if it lights up when you work the washers - the pump is probably f**ked

Dave
    Hi,

The pump is actually IN the washer fluid reservoir??

So there is a small cover within the main aux fusebox cover? if so, then no i havent removed this one.. was just going by the diagram in the handbook for 'washer...' 3rd fuse from the left, on the 1st row of the main block of fuses...

will have to go out and have another look for this cover, may contain the correct fuse

but im guessing its the pump itself, so if i can locate it ill be able to test it for sure

many thanks!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C / RWD Nova
    My moneys on the fuse !!!! - Get loads coming in work at the moment - blown due to water in bottle/pump frozen !!!!

Dave

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless
    My moneys on the fuse !!!! - Get loads coming in work at the moment - blown due to water in bottle/pump frozen !!!!

Dave
    really? well i hope its the fuse as it's much easier to sort! and if that's a valid reason for it blowing, then i wont have to try too hard to find out why it blew!!

this little cover you are on about, where the washer fuse is below, where abouts is it again mate.. within the main fusebox?
    im loooking at the diagram in the book (as its too cold to go out again), although its not very clear! cant see it shown.....

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C / RWD Nova
    Yeh - in the main fuse box in the engine bay - the main cover hinges up to reveal the fuse box

The small plastic cover is situated at the top left hand corner of the main fuse box - covering the top 10 fuses

Dave
    Last edited by fearless; 26-02-2005 at 23:31.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    What fusebox are you checkin Dunc?

The one in the car or the one under the bonnet?

(Im asuming there is one in the car?)
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Dave: i think ive found the cover in the diagram, i probably missed it!! I was probably taking row 2 as row 1! doh!
    Why is the first row covered?

That'd explain why the fuses didnt match up with the book if so!! Will have a look tomorrow morning, thanks a lot!

joey: there's only one mentioned and only one i can find, in the engine bay!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Just looked in the manual at the fuses, the 3rd row, 3rd fuse in = fuse 17 .. the one i was checking (thinking row 2 was row 1!!) is indeed 20A

So i think you've found the problem mate, i wasnt removing the cover! doh!!

hopefully the fuse is blown and its not the pump itself, will find out tomorrow

THANK YOU for your help

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Thank you very much, that solved the problem!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Rover 45 MK2 TD
    Are you the DunkyB I am thinking of?

lmao
    Remember: You are unique, just like everybody else.
    Check out my sheddy Sport!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty 16v
    Are you the DunkyB I am thinking of?

lmao
    If you are the Rusty with an Astra I'm thinking of, then yeah!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkyB
    Dave: i think ive found the cover in the diagram, i probably missed it!! I was probably taking row 2 as row 1! doh!
    Why is the first row covered?

That'd explain why the fuses didnt match up with the book if so!! Will have a look tomorrow morning, thanks a lot!

joey: there's only one mentioned and only one i can find, in the engine bay!!
    Remember you told me about the ignition lights coming on when you pulled a fuse out....which fuse was it? I know you told me before, but that was when you thought it was row 1....??
    ///SOUTH CENTRAL MINCERS

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB
    Remember you told me about the ignition lights coming on when you pulled a fuse out....which fuse was it? I know you told me before, but that was when you thought it was row 1....??
    it would either have been fuse 4 or 5, i think 4

which = number plate lamp, or electric window lifters. Well his doesnt have leccy windows!

Not sure why removing the num plate light fuse would turn on all the lights, lol.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Talking Re: Corsa C - Washer system not working!

Quote Originally Posted by DunkyB View Post
    Just looked in the manual at the fuses, the 3rd row, 3rd fuse in = fuse 17 .. the one i was checking (thinking row 2 was row 1!!) is indeed 20A

So i think you've found the problem mate, i wasnt removing the cover! doh!!

hopefully the fuse is blown and its not the pump itself, will find out tomorrow

THANK YOU for your help

Having spent 2 whole days off trying to find how to fix this exact problem, and having read and re read a Haynes manual (not mentioning the fuse problem) I found this thread, and I really have to say thanks! Fixed the problem in under 2 minutes after reading!

Thanks guys! Saved me loads of time and money!

Drives
    Astra, Vectra Estate...

Re: Corsa C - Washer system not working!

Thread is a few years old mate, can you check before bumping old threads up.

oh, welcome to MIG.. lmaolmao
    www.photographybyjamie.co. uk ...weddings, children, pets, cars, landscapes....just ask.

Closed Thread