Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

strange noise

514 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Pikey. 
#1 ·
rite then i know this may be a bit tricky but iv got a noise coming from the passenger side of the car. left front i think on the calibra. when im driving straight its fine but turning a corner especially rite hand ones i get a thumping noise - no wheel vibration tho. it sounds like a flat tyre with that dud dud noise!!! its the only way i can describe it. new tyres all round and new alloys. could it be the wheel bearings?
any help would be great
cheers james

#5 ·
im more of a body work man so do these need to be sorted as an emergancy or can i drive for a week - till sat.

#8 ·
Wheel bearings tend to vibrate all through the steering angles, apart from a small degree where they go quiet. If you turn to the right and it knocks, it's the left wheel.
Drive shaft CV joint are easy to change, if your rubber boot behind the wheel hub is torn, and usually accompanied by grease on the lower arm and arch trim, it's prob the CV joint.
Anti Roll Bar link only knocks when going over rough road, under heavy loads. Suspension damper could be worn, but same symptom as the ARB link. Finally, is your spring sat properly?

My money's on the CV joint, secondly, the wheel bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.