Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Failed MOT!!!!!

442 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Albie.S 
#1 ·
My better half took her 1.2 1993 Corsa to get MOT'd today.
It failed!!! :(
It needs some welding and a new brake pipe - easily sorted.
However it also has excessive play in the steering rack and it failed the emissions test.
Does anyone know if there is an ajustment that can be made to the steering rack or what the problem might be if an adjustment cant be made?

It failed the emissions test on the Lambda.
Fast idle test - 1.09
second fast idle test - 1.14
Needs to be between 0.97 and 1.03
It does need a service which I was going to do before the test but didnt get round to! Im going to do this before the re-test, do you think this would make the difference or could it be a faulty Lambda?
Any advice would be great. cheers :beer:

#4 ·
Have you got any slight blows from the exhaust? Bad seal where it sleaves or pin hole in the exhaust back box. Anything like this can let in enough oxygen to the exhaust to throw the lambda reading out of spec. It could be the sensor but you'd normaly have had trouble with the E.M. light by now.

#5 ·
The MOT tester did think it might be the exhaust?
But he checked it when the mrs was there and ruled that out, although I thought he might as it was them that fitted the exhaust only 9 months ago.
What do you think about giving it a quick service?
Might this bring the Lambda reading down?

#6 ·
A service can only do it good :) but unless its been neglected for a while and has got a blocked air filter, knackered spark plugs, I can't see it curing the Lambda reading.

Albie.S said:
although I thought he might as it was them that fitted the exhaust only 9 months ago.
lmao I've seen plenty of newly fitted exhaust's that aren't quite sealed properly (normaly where the back box sleaves onto the centre section). That cause a car to fail the M.O.T. Get underneath it if you can and check it yourself. Or cover the tailpipe with your hand while the engines running. You'll soon hear any blows in the system then.

#7 ·
Albie.S said:
although I thought he might as it was them that fitted the exhaust only 9 months ago.
What I meant was that even if he knew it was the exhaust I dont think he would have owned up to his own bad workmanship.
I think he would have just sorted it on the re-test and not said anything or sorted it and said it was something else??

damm sceptics!!!!!!

I have a listen to the exhaust 2moz. :beer:

#9 ·
I checked the exhaust this morning definately sounds like theres a small blow behind the back box, probably a shody join. Im gonna service it and sort that brake pipe tomorrow morning, so I'll have a look at it properly then.
Damm winter never enough light before and after work!!!!! so most jobs have to wait till the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.