Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Excessive pressure in rocker cover?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DeclanAFC 
#1 ·
Hi guys my brothers Nova GSI having some major running problems?

there seems to be alot of pressure build-up in the rocker cover and oil stick, its all most like a steam engine!

I had this problem on my mk1 golf almost 3 years ago and that was due to the rings but what do you think is worng with my brothers GSI dudes?

#3 ·
oh ****e

i thought it will be down to the rings but can this problem also be due to a completely standard untouch 125k head?

#5 ·
Get the rocker cover off. There is a metal gauze over by the breather pipe at the corner. You can buy these from motor factors £3 or so.

Clean out the breather pipes in & around the induction system at the same time.
Gotta be worth a go. :beer:

#6 ·
As jamie f says,exess crank case pressure is more than likely to be worn rings and/or worn or scored bores.
It could be valve stem oil seals but if its bad its prob rings.
A quick fix would be a quick hone and new rings,the proper way to do it is a rebore with new pistons and rings.
Time to put a 2lt in it!
Dave

#7 ·
well the thing i cant work out is on my 1400, the cylinder 3 has serveral score mark(last owner cracked a inlet guide) and the other 3 are very little worn. the engine does buff alot of smoke out when it rev'd around 4.5-6.5rpm but mine does not have any crank case pressure?

#8 ·
your pistons and rings might be ok.
Worn valve stem oil seals cause it to burn oil,and wouldnt cause major crank case pressure,although could be more than normal if badly worn.
What colour is the smoke that comes out of yours?
Blue=burning oil,rings/bores damaged/worn or worn valve stem oil seals.
white=steam,shot head gasket letting water in chambers.
Black=overfueling,some fuel not being burnt.
Exess crankcase pressure can cause oil leaks if breathers are blocked as the pressure has nowhere to go so pushes past seals and gaskets.
Dave

#9 ·
lovely blue smoke mate, my head has been comletely rebuilt just after summer so it worn valve guides or stem oil seals! like I said before the bores are shag'd and the piston dish on #3 looks like it past its use by date but it still has no crank case pressure like my brothers GSI!

#10 ·
Sorry to jump on someone else's thread but can i remove the gauze from my 2lt 8v rocker cover and clean it or replace it, as oil is seeping out of one of the bolts on my rocker cover, replaced gasket but don't wanna over tighten..so was thinking it could be blocked, its no much oil but annoying..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.