#1 ·
From what I can see the damage tally is:

Bonnet
Bumper
Headlights and indicators
Radiator
Fan
Slam Panel

I am can fairly easily get my hands on and fit all these parts bar the slam panel. I'm not sure if the slam panel refers to the whole front of the car or just the top bit where the VIN plate is, anyway it's the top bit and the middle bit which are damged (the bottom one escaped damage.)

Is it possible to repair these slam panel parts, if so how much are we talking for a pro to replace them?

See less See more
#3 ·
Some idiot pulled out in front of me, there's a thread about it somewhere. I'ts only the slam panel I'm interested in getting replaced proffesionally, the rest I can sort out myself. I'm just not sure if it is even possible to replace the damaged front end of the car (slam panel) or how much it's gonna cost.

#5 ·
Oh right so it is possible to just weld in a new slam panel. Just to reitterate, if you imagine there are 3 beams which run the width of the front of the car, it's the top and middle one which are bent. These are the 2 which need replacing.

#17 ·
Yeah easily fixable.
Get a reasonable bodyshop to fit the slam panel and bodywork bits. Should be able to do it for up to £500 I guess.

Get the wheel alignment checked out though just to make sure that there's no chassis damage.

#23 ·
Dude, gutted for you :( It goes without saying that the assesor will write off the car though.

I got a slam panel for my astra from billing for £23. GOing rate is about £40 IIRC. the 'middle' bit that is bent in would just get pulled out by a bodyshop. Then the slam panel 'tacked' on, and painted with the bits of bodywork fitted after :)

#24 ·
are you doing the repair mostly yourself?

if so, then remove the front wings, bumper, bonnet, headlamps and radiator

then get some more pics

you'll be amazed how much better it looks

dude get yourself a £100 welder, go practice for 2 hours.. you'll be easily good enough to spot weld in a slam panel :cool:

then cut out the old one and weld in the new one

get panels from www.sel-imperial.co.uk

sorted mate

if you need a hand.. gimme a PM

Only thing left then is paint - get that done professionally unless you're feeling brave

good luck. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.