hangmans hill in Epping forest

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: hangmans hill in Epping forest

Drives
    Cav SRi/Octavia Vrs

hangmans hill in Epping forest

Does anybody know where this place is, or is it a local myth? apparently if you park your car in a certain place on this road it rolls up hill! anybody heard of it??
    "I live with fear every day, sometimes she lets me race".
    Sorry scrap that, correction, I DID live with fear, now I dont, so I race when ever I damn well feel like it

Check out my racing progress at www.millersport.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    a Crotch Rocket

Re: hangmans hill in Epping forest

Someone posted something about it, may even have been you (i wasn't paying too much attention).

Wish they could get this phenomenon working on the motorway, i'd save a fortune in petrol.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Nova, Audi, Landrover

Hangman's Hill
    Author : Witness Recollection

Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

I have spent my teenage years in the surrounding areas of the well known Epping Forest in Essex. Me and my mates have often ventured out into the forest daytime, nightime and I have always felt safe there. There is an area of the forest called high beach, in the forest is a place unofficially named Hangman's Hill. Legend has it that if you park on the hill the car will roll up it instead of down as you reach the top and look straight ahead you will see a bare field with just a tree in it which is apparently where a man was hung, supposedly you are being pulled up the hill by the hangman.

Many of my friends say it is an optical illusion but have always been so scared by the experience they have never got out of the car to see if they are actually on a hill.

Last weekend we decided to look for Hangmans Hill as no one can remember it's exact location and probably didn't want to. We must have been driving through the forest for hours, but could not find the tiny slip road. I turned into one of the bigger roads which I know quite as I was driving down it I saw something standing in the middle of the road it looked like a man flagging us down for help, we didnt want to stop for him so carried on driving, we got closer and closer to him and he wouldnt move out of the way. I stopped right in front of him thinking he must really be in trouble but couldn't see him properly so I switched my lights to full beam.

The man just turned and ran away. We presumed it was a joke and got out of the forest.

I persuaded my boyfriend to take me down there the next night to look for the Hangmans Hill as he's navigation talents are better than mine, we couldn't find it, so my boyfriend parked outside a pub and went in to ask for directions.

Whilst I waited in a car I noticed a man running towards the car from down the road, it was the same man I had seen the night before, my boyfriend got back into the car and I turned to him to point out the man and on turning back the man once again disappeared.
    LEE69

Drives
    Honda Civic Typ

[scully] there must be a reasonable and scientific explanation [/scully]
    My ex Mk3 Astra - My Corsa Sport - Join MIG Club ONLINE Here!
    "A wise man know everything, a clever man knows everyone"

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE turbo in bits

*makes mental note not to go to Epping forest
    Quote Originally Posted by C4llyT
    If you're too pissed to walk, or call a cab, you've no option but to drive surely?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    TB'd Cav GSi (Soon)

I believe a MIG meet at Hangman's hill is in order.
    On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit, and you can go for this limit and you touch this limit and it is the limit. As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high. - Ayrton Senna

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE turbo in bits

ok but only if im at a bit where i can make a quick exit if it gets too spooky!!

and there has to be about 50 of us ok??

with very big guns.
    If you're too pissed to walk, or call a cab, you've no option but to drive surely?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Bmw 3 series

Quote Originally Posted by sid16v
    Someone posted something about it, may even have been you (i wasn't paying too much attention).

Wish they could get this phenomenon working on the motorway, i'd save a fortune in petrol.
    That was me.
    Heard it on Capital FM (foxy was telling it I think).

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    diesel pug :(

im going there with a spirit level if im ever near lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Leon Cupra 20v Turbo

Can these guys help..??

If I like it, I lick it. If I dont, I kick it

CAN NO LONGER GET TYRES, SORRY

Drives

Can these guys help..??

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    modified zafira

Quote Originally Posted by mental mel
    ok but only if im at a bit where i can make a quick exit if it gets too spooky!!

and there has to be about 50 of us ok??

with very big guns.
    hide behind me... ill protect you...............

til the very last moment... then i'm gona run like fook!!!!! lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    6J Ibiza FR TDi

there is a place like that near Ayr called the 'Electric Brae'

If sitting stationary your car will appear to roll uphill. Obviously your car is rolling down the hill but due to the lie of the surrounding fields etc it looks uphill.

The term 'Electric Brae' dates from a time when it was incorrectly thought to be a phenomenon caused by electric or magnetic attraction within the Brae.
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV
    VAG history - BLT | CFHD

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE turbo in bits

Quote Originally Posted by mystery machine
    hide behind me... ill protect you...............

til the very last moment... then i'm gona run like fook!!!!! lmao

yer, but i will be in front of you all the way!! lmao lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives

[QUOTE]I I was told about a hill in Epping Forest which if you drive to, put your car in neutral with the handbrake off, you go UP the hill!

I had to check this out so, late Tuesday evening, me and a couple of friends drove to 'Hangman's Hill', aka High Beach, Epping Forest in Melvin (a Mini with a name). The legend has it that a hangman used hijack stagecoaches on the hill by dropping a noose from a tree on the hill when the stage coaches rode past.

With this in mind we parked up, put Melvin into neutral, dropped the handbrake and chanted "Hangman, push up the hill!" several times. And would you believe it - it worked. It's not a steep hill, in fact it's quite flat, but we still rolled along along. Very spooky.

After our success in Melvin, we decided to try and roll different objects up the hill. We tried a baking apple, a potato and a bottle of ketchup, but none of them rolled. So in conclusion it only works with cars, bikes, skateboards!

hangmans hill. check out the spooky orbs!

Gal
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    There and back

Went there years ago with my boys mum. Dont know how we got there but it is true. Well..........appears to be anyway! You do appear to roll up the hill!
    My hand to Japs eye co-ordination is great!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GOT E30 YER

Ummm ste_nova have you come out or something cos you say you have a boyfriend?

Epping forest, i asked my mum & theres a few places dotted around uk that do the same going up hill phenomem. Gonna go up there next week if someone could tell us where exactly it is?

Thought it was magnetic force?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    diesel pug :(

and chanted "Hangman, push up the hill!" several times. And would you believe it - it worked. It's not a steep hill, in fact it's quite flat, but we still rolled along along. Very spooky.
    how convincing lmao , sounds realllly scary

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Nippy Cav Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mental mel
    yer, but i will be in front of you all the way!! lmao lmao
    lmao lmao lmao
    I love MIG...MIG loves meeee...like one big gooOy F A M I L E E E

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    RX7 FD3S, MR2, Merc E320

There's a local myth round 'ours' of someone called 'The Lantern Man' in a wooded area up the road from me. When I was 16 me and my mates went up there and stoof near the entrance, a gate, if you will and just stood there, drinking and smoking, venturing further in, as we got more and more inebriated. After about an hour, someone went 'Sh*t!' and we all turned round to see an 'orb' flying through the trees towards us, it was about 60 metres away. We all turned round and ran straight out of there, and to my house which was about 1/2 a mile away. We were all petrified, but I remember the fear quite vividly at the time, I grabbed onto my mate's coat as he ran off. If he wasn't so quick, I reckon I would have jumped into his arms, Scooby Doo style.
    2002 - 2015, 19,000 posts - 13 sad years on MIGWEB

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra B SRi 150

Yep, it exists and cars do appear to roll uphill.
    But it's an illusion. Proven many times.

And Epping Forest is one scary mofo place after dark.
    There are rumours of satanic rituals, covens meeting, druid ceremonies and much, much more.... tis a mahoosive place.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    astra coupe turbo

all sounds very good...i love driving/walking around scary places....when i was younger and done acid scary places were on the list....but now im older and wiser so it would just be a leisurley walk around
    details on uk graffiti and my hip hop project
    http://www.urban-regen.co.uk

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Drives
    Astra MK1 Turbo

It's true, you do 'roll up the hill' We used to do it on our motorbikes years ago, it is very weird. If anyone wants exact details of hoew to find it, let me know.
    I live about 15mins away from the High Beach area of Epping Forest and its wicked!!
    It is a brilliant place to go on Halloween, with not only the strange road that you roll up, but also a really scary church and graveyard. Then there's the woods too, miles and miles of it, real Blair Witch stuff!!
    Go down there on any sunday throughout the year during the day, there's always a big meet on with cars and bikes racing up and down the strip. You can grab a tea or coffee and something to eat at the burger bar, chill out and wait for night time to fall, then go exploring....... go on, I dare ya!

Gal
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    There and back

Quote Originally Posted by Evil
    Yep, it exists and cars do appear to roll uphill.
    But it's an illusion. Proven many times.

And Epping Forest is one scary mofo place after dark.
    There are rumours of satanic rituals, covens meeting, druid ceremonies and much, much more.... tis a mahoosive place.

Danbury woods is meant to have a bit of that happening too. Plus the church on main road into Wickford at Runwell has had many dealing over the years from the occult. Went there for an open day once. Freaky!!! Got claw marks on one door meant to be from the devil trying to escape!!!

Got shivers now LOL lmao lmao
    My hand to Japs eye co-ordination is great!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Nippy Cav Turbo

lmao lmao
    I love MIG...MIG loves meeee...like one big gooOy F A M I L E E E

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)