Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towing Dolly - Very well built, complete with ratchet straps and winch handle

605 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  himselfunknown 
#1 · (Edited)
FOR SALE: STRONG TOWING DOLLY

As I haven’t used it for a while and need the space, my trusty towing dolly is up for sale. I have had it for a number of years and other than one puncture, it has never let me down. It has saved my family a fortune in recovery bills over the years!

Good Points:
The dolly is extremely well built and strong enough to tow the biggest of cars without any trouble, it could probably be used to tow vans etc if you have something big enough to tow it with. The biggest car I’ve had on it was a Vauxhall Sintra (large MPV), which it towed no trouble at 50mph.

The dolly is very easy to use and you can load/unload a car in minutes without having to crawl around on the floor like you have to with A-frames, or mess around with ramps.

The loading mechanism has two speeds so it can be quickly deployed or retracted with no load on it, which speeds things up. It takes me longer to mess around with ratchet straps and light boards than it does to load a car on!

The dolly is really simple to use (please see the photos):

1. Move the wheel hoops around from the stowed position.
  2. Retract the dolly wheels so the wheel hoops are on the ground.
  3. Get the car wheels into the wheel hoops either by driving it on or using the winch.
  4. Deploy the dolly wheels, lifting the car wheels off the ground.
  5. Secure the car wheels using the ratchet straps and secure the light board.
  6. Done! Removing the car is the reverse sequence.
The dolly is used but fully functional, including the winch which has just had a new galvanised steel cable as the old one was rusty and frayed in places. I have also given it a coat of paint to brighten it up as it was looking a bit shabby, and given the runner a greasing.

Please note the cars are not included in the sale!!!

The dolly comes with everything you need to work it – the handle for the winch/mechanism and two ratchet straps for securing the vehicle. Also included are two blocks of wood which I have found useful for putting under the wheels of non-running cars to help roll then off the dolly. All you will need is a light board as one is not included in the sale as I still use mine with my trailer.

Bad points:

• There is supposed to be a bolt to secure the wheel hoops during transit, but this was missing when I bought the dolly. I have been using an R-clip and the ratchet straps instead without any problems (I find it’s a great way of storing the ratchet straps/winch handle anyway so I don’t lose/forget them!).
  • The tyres have seen better days and you may want to replace them, although they hold air fine so I’ve never bothered.
The dolly is located in Derby and viewing prior to bidding is strongly recommended so you can see how well built it is, and see a quick demo of how it works.
It is collection only. However, I am happy to deliver/meet you partway in the Midlands area if you paypal a small deposit to cover the cost of my fuel.

£350 - all reasonable offers considered.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.