Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Grundig spares

909 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rgv_stu 
#1 ·
The tape deck in my Cavs Grundig SC303 is broken :(

The plastic bracket thing that the tape head is mounted on ( you know the one that slides the head out towards the tape after a cassette is inserted ) has snapped beside one of the tape head mounting holes.

Being a Sad Old Git I want to keep my tapes and am not interested in replacing it with a CD player:D

( FWIW The tape mechanism is stamped Blaupunkt. What other radios is this used in ?)

So I'm looking for one of the following

- The little plastic bracket ( though it wont be much fun setting the tape alaignment )

- A replacement ( working ) tape mechanism

- A replacement SC303

Any suggestions on what to do / not to do & where to get the parts ?

Olddog ( :dog: )

See less See more
#2 ·
You can get Grundig parts from CPC . I think they are the main supplier now.

Grundig, Blaupunkt it's all the same German cack.
(sorry, after 8 years of repairing Grundig "goods" I'm a little disillusioned with them. Thankfully we stopped selling them a few years ago).

#3 ·
I've got a Grundig SC303 sitting here.

The display is a bit cack - the lcd works but bits of the segments are a bit faint.

It came out of my 94 cav glsi.

If all else fails mate - send me a pm or something

#4 ·
the blaupunkt deck in question is renowned for breaking

they are also fitted into a blaupunkt coach head unit and they were replaced so often it aint funny.

cost of a new deck is around £100 iirc and we were blaupunkt main repair dealers :eek:

i suggest getting another head unit.

#5 ·
So, the player is known to be a carp unit then. :mad:

Looked very flimsy to me, so no surprise

I’m not into ICE or Audio gear so please can anyone tell me what standards there are for these players ?

Rgv, you suggested getting “another head unit.” is this from an SC303 ? Or is it a generic part that a number of different manufacturers produce ? If it is generic what type / manufacturer would you suggest ?

Can anyone tell me if the entire cassette player an industry standard module ( standard dimensions & electronic interface ) ? If so, what other sources are available for it ?

( unless there is a good reason I want to keep the SC303 radio unit - nice control over the leccy aerial - but it would seem like a good idea to get a better tape player unit into it )

Olddog :dog:

#6 ·
Olddog said:
So, the player is known to be a carp unit then. :mad:

Looked very flimsy to me, so no surprise

I’m not into ICE or Audio gear so please can anyone tell me what standards there are for these players ?

Rgv, you suggested getting “another head unit.” is this from an SC303 ? Or is it a generic part that a number of different manufacturers produce ? If it is generic what type / manufacturer would you suggest ?

Can anyone tell me if the entire cassette player an industry standard module ( standard dimensions & electronic interface ) ? If so, what other sources are available for it ?

( unless there is a good reason I want to keep the SC303 radio unit - nice control over the leccy aerial - but it would seem like a good idea to get a better tape player unit into it )

When rgv_stu said get another head unit he meant replace the whole stereo.

There's no real industry standard for the tape mec. The only one that will fit would be one from the manufacturer, so there's no chance of upgrading to a better tape mec.
The Grundig ones usually have a whole heap of stock faults on them. You fix one and because you've been in and disturbed them another one springs up.:mad:

To be honest mate I'd save the money you'd pay to repair the current head unit you have and put it towards a new one. Any of the big companys head units would be a step up (ie Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic etc) from the Grundig and they will all control the electric aerial.:D

#7 ·
Fair enough if you know what you are doing :D

Not sure that I do :eek:

If I remember right the SC804 was a radio casette unit made by Philips which Vaux fitted ( so probably is a simple thing for a dumbo like me to do ) Was it any good ?

#8 ·
in my experience you are best getting a new unit instead of fixing the original

grundig aint bad infact i would class them above sony
its just that unit was infact made by blaupunkt and deck that was fitted is a bit fragile

find a nice kenwood or pioneer imo - cheap and good quality

i had a sony at the same time as a mate had a pioneer, my sony is crap i have fixed it more that twice, the buttons are all soggy and it dont sound that great for a £300 unit. my mates pioneer is still like new and that was a cd player for £100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.