Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

understanding port's for bass boxes 'question'?

583 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Colonel K 
#1 ·
i am building a dual bandpass box for one of my subs today and in the handbook it has 2 designs, 1 single band pass version, 1 dual bandpass. i am having a go at building the later and have had to fuff around with the spec, they use 22mm stuff so i have had to mod it for 18mm mdf they say use 100mm pipe i can only find 110mm stuff :rolleyes: so what i want to know all u bass heads and box builders there will be more port area with the 110mm stuff and it will need to be reduced (i guess).

there are 2x ports to either chamber 2 for the higher end are 80mm long, the 2 for the low end are 110mm long any idea how to get the same area as the 100mm pipe? or should i use the same lengths for the 110mm stuff?

help!!!!!

gav.

#3 ·
think its a longer pipe for the wider port

i got an old blaupunkt box designer program at home somewhere, will see if i can find it. it tells you the length depending on port width and resonant frequency.

have you used a dual bandpass box b4? they tend to be a bit too 'tuned' to a defined frequency to me. doesnt seem linear in responce.

#6 ·
after a great day outdoors....

its nearly done, i only have 2 more ports to put in it and the end cap and for sound purposes it can go in the car. thing is i can hardly lift it :eek: i'm glad i didnt fit both 15's in it or it'd never leave the ground, i only hope the bass is as heavy ;)

gona need a bit of work when i cover it, but as long as it does the job :)

gav.

#7 ·
Bear in mind the way a ported enclosure works. A specific frequency band will be hugely boosted at the expense of the rest of the frequency range. What the frequency is, is decided by the ports length and diameter. Depending on the kind of music you listen to, you can adjust these parameters to suit.

#10 ·
not this one it dont, made ure i'm bang on the specs of the original box (internal sizes) had a minor disaster with the mdf splitting yesterday....thank heaven for no nail's as i had to use it on the offending corner and is as strong as fook now.

i thought a bandpass box had a port on the outer side of the speaker?
well this has but it has one for the rear side too, i think the magnet side is a bit bigger to compensate for the area that the magnet and casket uses and cone cos that all takes up room too. should be finished today, i'll try to get some pics b4 it goes in the car :)

gav.

#12 ·
i'm both :eek: and lmao at the moment, its already blown an 80 amp fuse :eek: but it rocks big time!!!!! seriously loud even with the gains down, no bass on the h/unit, and the rockford adjuster (remote bass enhancer thingy) set to mid way :eek: well chuffed but i lost 80% of my boot now.

well worth it, the rockford 700s amp running it has no problems what so ever 860w of rockfords finest doin it thing :D

gav.

#13 ·
fettling with the sound's....

had a play with the amp's in the garage last night in between jobs and tweeked up the front and rears a little. now i got a great balance of sound, not over bassed and not too toppy but i cant think of a reason to take it over 25 (the h/unit goes to 35) cos its so fookin loud :eek: though when i look in the boot and see this 'HUGE' box its a bit of a sacrifice but well worth it. i also have a supression noise when i use the x-box which is anoying me to say the least. but wathced a film last night in the back of the omega it was just as loud as 'any' cinema, just with a smaller screen :D

gav.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.