Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Best place to install 6 by 9's?

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  angryman 
#1 ·
I bought some 6x9s, wondering where the best place would be to house them.

Got an Astra mk3, was thinkin the parcel shelf would be the most obvious location! Will it take the weight alright?

These 6x9s r apparantly 500 Watts Peak, does that sound ridiculous? Wot would that translate into RMS Wattage?

Thanks

#3 ·
easier said than done eh.

is it a normal practice to make a new parcel shelf out of MDF? wot advantages does this give? oh wait, u said they'll sound better. can i pay someone else to make me one? i have no idea with that kinda stuff really

#6 ·
thanks for the replies

i checked out that site for MDF parcel shelves... £80!! There is no way the sound improvement can be worth that much.

How does an MDF shelf improve the sound? Is it due to the extra mass, volume or density of the MDF?

Also, is it possible to knock 6x9s into the doors (either front or back) and would this sound good?

#8 ·
MDF gives better stability so will cut out the vibration. Go to B&Q and buy a sheet of MDF big enough that you can mark a template from your shelf. You can then cut it out with a jigsaw. Once covered you would have spent no more than about £40. That all depends on what covering you use mind.

#13 ·
If you just cut them into the std shelf, not only will it sound a bit crap but because you have weakened the shelf with the holes and added extra weight, after a time it will sag in the middle and eventually fall to bits.
Lining the back of it with a piece of MDF will help substantially but if you are going to do that, you would be as well making a proper one yourself.

#16 ·
I've got an Astra mk2 with an acoustic shelf.

I've put the same speakers in it that I used to have in my Nova years ago..

but even with a high quality Sony 50w*4 HU, the sound was poor compared to my Nova.

I then bought a 200w JVC amp and it still goes Pthp, Pthp, pthp,

instead of BOCKHA BOKHA BOCKHA..

is it because of the cavernous size of the astra boot compared to the shoe box size Nova boot?

or is it possible that the speakers are no good as they are nearly 6 years old. they were in a garage for 3 years.

they are expensive Kenwood 6*9s cost a good £120 when new.. is it possible they've "gone off".???

I've spent a lot of money getting me car set up and it's disappointing.. anyone got any ideas?

#18 ·
If you put speakers into a normal shelf they will move themselves and vibrate cos they dont have a solid base. When the cones are bouncing up and down, they will try to move the whole speaker as well. If you mount them onto a solid MDF base the speakers are held rigid and all the energy goes into moving the cones and not the whole speakers.

Cut the board to shape to match the original, cut the holes for the speakers, cover the whole board with acoustic cloth that looks like the original material and mount the speakers underneath. That way you will have a pretty good stealth shelf that wont draw attention to itself.
Also, as said, if you get a sub in the boot, itll try to vent through the shelf speakers and the holes in the shelf. Not a good sound.

#19 ·
I made two aluminium brackets up for mine and fixed them to the screw holes for the rear shelf (where the original plastic shelf support fixes) small screw in the side through the shelf support to help fix in place.
They sit right under the original speaker holes and no need to cut the shelf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.