Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

poineer crunch sub

1K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Grim Reaper 
#1 ·
hi guys, i want to know if the following sub is actually any good? i dont know much about ICE (or anything for that matter :doh: lmao)

im not after a huge massive loud system, i just want a bit of bass

spec of current system:
normal speakers and they aint changing...unless they go bang lmao

linky to subby here

:beer: :beer: :beer:

#3 ·
#7 ·
the top package does have higher amp output, but the bottom package has a ported enclosure. for the money i don't think you will be dissapointed with either, all i will say is the ported should have the higher output volume, but the sealed will probably drop lower and give higher quality,(more musical).

if you go with the sealed,(i would:nod: ), pop down local B&Q and get some loft insulation, cut two pieces of insulation the same size as the enclosures front face, remove the insulation from its outer covering so you can place the first piece into the enclosure and fluff it up,(it should now comfortably half fill the enclosure). now cut a hole out off piece 2 to match the subs basket, when placing this piece into the enclosure pass the speaker wire up through the hole, now fluff this piece up so the enclosure is full.

now for the tricky bit:cool: , using silicon sealant put a bead of about 4mm diameter around the outer edge of the enclosures cutout for the sub, this should now be smoothed to a narrow band running all the way round the hole,(try to get it as uniform as possible and avoid spreading it too far from the outer edge), this silicon band is going to act as an airtight gasket and as such should be entirely inside the area that the subs mounting screws will occupy,(in other words you don't want the screws to be screwed through it).

under no circumstances should you put silicon onto any part of the sub.

do NOT fit the sub into the enclosure until the silicon has fully cured,(chemicals given off during the curing process can harm some speaker components).

the above mods will improve the subs output performance and enhance the enclosures characteristics.

HTH

#4 ·
Caraudiosecurity link wont work :(.but im pretty sure thats the same deal i got about 3 years ago.is the amp about 400w rms?im still using the sub and its still going strong after alot of thumpin.as for the amp that only lasted about 2 years before it give up.it also over heated alot when it was fixed directly to the box.but after fitting it in my spear wheel compartment with air being able to flow underneath it,it never used to happen.but now it jsut goes into protection mode and wont run.:( im now using a boss audio 1800w rms amp still using the pioneer sub(altho not to full capacity)

#8 ·
your a legend mate :D im gonna go for the sealed one as i dont want my music to be extremly loud, just enough so i can atleast feal it lmao i will deffo do what you have said with the box, sounds like something to squeeze some more performance out of it :D but unfortunatly it has to wait about 3 weeks, as i have to get my sills welded first (main priority), but atelast i know what im going for now

have 47 2D beers on me :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

#11 ·
#12 ·
ok, the jbl package,(75.2 amp with jbl sub), although the amp has a lower output, the sub is a lot more sensitive than the directed one coupled with the jbl 301.1 amp, so volume wise there will be very little in it,(imo the jbl package will have the edge).

practicality wise;

if in the future you should decide to run the fronts amped, you could use the 75.2, but you couldn't use the 301, so any sub upgrade would lead to the selling of the 301 and the purchase of a new mono amp, where if you have the 75.2 you would simply use it to drive the front speakers and buy a mono amp for the new sub.

only you know what your plans are for the future, but be warned, once the bug bites, your hooked.

i personally would opt for the full jbl package for these main reasons;

1, proven reliability
2, value for money
3, easier to re-sell the 75.2
4, easier to integrate the 75.2 into any future upgrades
5, easy to use correctly.

#13 ·
you really are god :nod: im gonna go get the JBL in a few days time :D

have another 48 2D beers on me :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

#15 ·
:D lmao lmao lmao

i have another qustion, i have found yet another package but this time its a twin sub package :D

any chance of giving me some more gen?? :eek: lmao i know i said i dont want mega bass but like you said before about me getting hooked really did happen :eek: damn my cousin and his 2 15" subs :mad: lmao

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5529.html

thanking you very muching!:D

#16 ·
the twin package you have linked to is imo a fair deal, but it does have its drawbacks.

firstly the amps output is only 2x 150watts bridged into 4ohm's,(which is half the subs rated input power).

the wiring kit is only 8awg power cable,(rated at 40amps over 5mtrs before voltage drop becomes an issue).

if you can purchase the above kit with a 4awg wiring kit and a JBL GTO 75.4 amp then that would be a better option. however, if your planning any future upgrades then the JBL GTO 4000 is ideal for bridging into two ch's to drive a set of front components, this would then require you to purchase a suitable mono amp to drive the GT4's,(JBL GTO 600.1 or GTO 1201.1), but this would then mean the present wiring kit,(either 4awg or 8awg), would be inadequate,(best value 0awg kit is the Autoleads PC4-28 at under £50).

you really need to balance your expectations against your actual budget.

as an example heres a few links to a much heavier setup using items purchased singularly from different sources.

subs

2x 12" JBL GT4's---price here is for two subs.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOX-OF-2-JBL-...9QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18805QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2x sealed enclosures---can't link to these, but motorworld are currently doing 12" sealed enclosures at £19.99 each.

wiring kit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC4...2084380QQihZ014QQcategoryZ14932QQcmdZViewItem

amplifier

JBL GTO 75.4---gives 2 ch's bridged at 300watts rms
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto754-p-4140.html?cadid=c415b1a525ee5f7d57f9afda62c24732

or ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-GTO-75-4-...85QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if your still struggling to decide on what to buy, i would suggest you try to find the local meeting place where all the car audio guys go to play their systems. i can only offer advice as to what i would go for, but my tastes will differ from yours, by listening to other setups you will get a better idea of what is required to achieve the effect you desire.

i would assume a good place to start looking and listening would be your local caraudiosecurity outlet, they should have various demo units setup that you can play with.

i could have popped over on monday,(but failed to get play off tickets for wembley:mad: ), and let you loose on mine, but as it stands at the moment i won't be travelling.

any more questions then ask away,(far better to make an informed purchase rather than an impulse purchase that will be no use as or when you decide to upgrade).

HTH mate.

#17 ·
thanks for the very very good info mate...im to lazy to go through that rought :p, i would have just prefered a package as i have everything right infront of me, single 12" JBL it is :D should be buying it this coming monday :D

edit - forgot to add, if we ever link up we can have a few beers on me :D (real beers not any more 2D crap, alcohol level is crap on them :p lmao)

#19 ·
ive bumped this up again :eek:

but i was sitting thinking about something just now and though, will my alternator be able to keep up to powering the sub and everything else in the car? i think its a 70amp (will try to confirm somehow) but will i need a powercap?

thanks again mate :D :beer:

#20 ·
with regard the alternator; you should be fine, i would assume the max current draw of the JBL GTO 75.2 would be around the 30amp mark at 14.4volts,(simple way to check is to add up the amps onboard fusing).

assuming your going to be playing music rather than test tones or burping, the amp won't ever draw anywhere near that amount of current,(basically test tones can be recorded at 0dB, where as music can't be).

with regard powercaps; these can be useful in certain situations, but this isn't one of them, in this situation it would simply be just another drain on your charging circuit.

now you seem to have decided on what your purchasing, you now need to consider a few points regarding the instalation of this kit.

firstly; sound deaden your boot, to save money i would use wickses high tack flashing tape, its not as good as dynamat or such, but it will do a decent job & for the money the effect will suprise you. cover these areas---boot floor inc spare wheel well---boot sides & rear quarters inc inner wheel arches---hatch/boot panel, use a heat source to warm it before you apply it, use a roller to get it to follow all the boots contours.

read this thread i did earlier, it may answer some questions before you need to ask them, but if you get confused or simply don't understand something, then ask:beer:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/ice-security/306200-few-audio-questions-answered.html

HTH mate

#22 ·
tbh with such a limited extra draw on your cars charging circuit, i would simply go with adding an extra batt to chassis earth to match the new power cable. this, along with a good earth for the amp,(to the chassis/boot floor), should minimalise voltage drop nicely.

HTH

#24 ·
?????

think you may have mis-read my post mate;

when you fit your new wiring kit to supply power to your amp, you will be running an extra power cable off the battery to supply the amp. the amp will be earthed to the cars chassis/boot floor, so to complete the circuit this needs to return to the battery. the stock battery to chassis earth was not meant to cope with the extra load, so will cause a bottleneck effect,(point of high resistance promoting possible voltage drop), to avoid this effect you simply need to add an extra earth cable to the battery,(of equal size to the new power cable).

with regard the charge circuit---most car batteries have a floating voltage around the 12.5volt mark, add a load and this figure will drop to below 12volts.

whilst your engine is running, the voltage will be up around the 14volt mark, this is due to the alternator emitting a charging current, so whilst your car is running and the voltage is above the normal floating voltage of your battery,(12.5volts), all electrical circuits are being supplied via the alternator and not the battery,(in fact the battery is also being charged). you will see some improvement by increasing your battery size, but no where near as much as you would by fitting say a 100amp alternator.

tbh though, just using a JBL GTO 75.2 shouldn't put too great a strain on your charging circuit.

HTH

#25 ·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ok :D now i get you :D so the earth i need to put an earth the same size as the one i use from the amp to chassis :D sorry i read it too quick as i had to pop out :doh:

we really need to meet up one day, i owe you a few drinks :D

#27 ·
all fitted now, but it doesnt work because the amp was a duff one...but we (me and my mate who does ice installs) tested another amp with the system and it all works fine and dandy :D, so getting the amp replaced tomorrow :D...and i got a new headunit too :D linky :D

the box has been filled with fibre wool what not and got seeled and it sounds mint :D

thanks for all your help mate, i would have bought a crappy sub without your help and i owe you many drinks :D :nod: :beer:

#33 ·
chupuu

wats goin on, shoulda told me you was gona buy sounds from c.a.s, who did you talk to down there?
i dont remember who i talked to, hes skinny and has a rubbery lip :eek: :doh: lmao but he was a "sound" (pun?? :p) guy and discounted me of 5 notes *jumps for joy* lmao , and replaced my amp for free :nod: :D i got a good deal anyway so a few 2D beers for them :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

i got issues with the astra again:doh: , got a courtasy mazda because a taxi didnt like red cars :cool:
funkin toyota carena3 i bet, and i bet it was gold coloured lmao lmao lmao should have kicked the guys teeth in, although i doubt he had any because of all that "hooka" stuff them guys smoke lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.