New to the site, but i need your help/info on C20 series motors
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to the site, but i need your help/info on C20 series motors

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    1994 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L

New to the site, but i need your help/info on C20 series motors

Hi, my name is Paul, and I live in the US. I currently drive a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird with a 2.0L OHC 4 cylinder motor. It is the single overhead cam motor that was made in Brazil. If Iam not mistaken, the engine designation for this was a C20E???(because the 92-94 sunbird had MPFI-multi port fuel injection. The 2.0L OHC's that came with TBI-throttle Body Injection were only listed as a C20??). I also know that the C20LET is the turbo version of this engine, and was also offered in the sunbirds from 86-90. After talking to a few people, I heard about an engine that was used in the Opel/Vauxhall that supposedly uses the same block as the 2.0L OHC that's in my sunbird, but uses a 16V DOHC cylinder head. Is this motor designation a C20XE??? I was planning on installing the factory turbo on my n/a sunbird, but after hearing about the possibility of a DOHC conversion, I am quite interested. Also, do you know if the C20XE came from Opel/Vauxhall with a turbo? Do you know the engine designation for that motor, and what years of cars they were put in? I would really like to find a 2.0L 16V DOHC turbo motor, and drop it into my sunbird. Any help or additonal information is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a bunch, Paul Moore

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    EVO VI & GTE 16
    Yes there is a DOHC XE engine, there are differences between the blocks. A search should list many threads discussing these differences.

There was also a SOHC turbo in both America and Brazil.

The LET engines here tend to be swaped in rather than converting an XE to turbo as there are so many little differences in the basic engine config, again this has been discussed at length in other threads.

Never get an EGG credit card they do nothing to protect you if your card is subject to Fraud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    EVO VI & GTE 16
    PS the LET is a DOHC so its the turbo variant of the XE.

Hope this helps.
    Never get an EGG credit card they do nothing to protect you if your card is subject to Fraud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    The White Wonder
    LET

XE

8v
    LURF - The proper pronunciation for "love". Especially emphasized during karaoke sessions.
    "Oh, my lurf, my laling, I hunger for your tush, a long and lonely time..."
    Total Carlton (Carlton Forum)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Monterey 3.1 Diamond
    the 2.0 16v DOHC C20XE shares the same block as your 2.0 8v OHC Engine, which has two designations in Europe -

C20NE - Lower compression, 115bhp
    C20SEH - Slightly Higher compression than the C20NE , 130bhp

Sometimes the designations dont have a C present which denotes the addition of a Catalytic converter for emissions control purposes.

Both are naturally aspirated engines.

The C20XE DOHC 16V has 150bhp and 145 ft/lb torque at 4500rpm. This engine remained as this and was not released with a turbocharger fitted under this designation.

The C20 LET is a 2.0 16V DOHC Turbocharged engine with 204bhp based on the DOHC 2.0 C20 XE. The additions being a turbocharger, different engine management, low compression pistons, different camshafts to maximise the potential of the turbocharger and an oil feed to the block for the turbocharger.

The C20XE 16V engines are common over in europe and i doubt it would cost you a lot to have one shipped over to yourself. Very nice engines and have a lot of potential for power increases.

Being a proud owner of a C20XE i cannot praise its output enough even with over 100,000 miles to its name!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra1.8, Zaf1.8/1.9CDTI
    The 2.0 8 Valve engines came in 20NE 115BHP, 20SEH 130 BHP.
    When CATs were introduced in 1992 the C20NE replaced both previous models with 115 BHP.
    The 2.0 16 Valve engine came in 1988 as the 20XE with 156 BHP, and in 1992 became C20XE with CAT and 150BHP.
    In 1992 the 2.0 16V was released in Turbo Charged form, as the C20LET with 204 BHP.
    http://www.tssd.co.uk/index.htm How Tos . The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    not really much help to you, but i thought i would add these pictures i dug out from the archive, just to spice the thread up a bit...

C20E sunbird engine

as far as i know the n/a 2.0 8v lemans/sunbird engine is based on the GM/opel design but made exclusively by daewoo in brazil (that would explain the 30bhp less power output)

also i have compiled a list of the majority of GM/vauxhall/opel engines here...

click

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    This is for jjcymru:

You say that the C20XE 2.0L DOHC 16V shares the same block as my 2.0L OHC 8V engine block in my sunbird. And the C20LET is based off of the C20XE? So, essentially, I could remove my old 2.0 8V motor and install the C20XE/C20LET and it would bolt right up to all the mounts and everything? Honestly, I would love to have the C20LET fit right down in the engine bay but I am not good at fabrication so I would have to keep that to a minimum. If they won't fit exactly without modification, how hard would it be to just take the head from the turbo motor? It should bolt right up to my block, right? I would really appreciate it if you would e mail me at frogs3240@aol.com or AOL IM me at frogs3240 so I can pick your brain about this topic. I belong to a website in the states called www.j-body.org
    A few people talked about this conversion, but I want to be the first to do it. Thanks for your time, Paul Moore
    1994 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L OHC
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air
    1988 Chevy Camaro(being rebuilt)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Originally posted by Big P
    You say that the C20XE 2.0L DOHC 16V shares the same block as my 2.0L OHC 8V engine block in my sunbird
    essentially yes, there are some minor differences in head gasket, and an oil restrictor on the 16v block, also the mountings for the cam belt pulley, but its near enough the same.

I could remove my old 2.0 8V motor and install the C20XE/C20LET and it would bolt right up to all the mounts and everything?
    yes. driveshafts and gearbox are an unknown quantity though, dont know the lemans/sunbird setup.

how hard would it be to just take the head from the turbo motor? It should bolt right up to my block, right?
    its possible but would end up costing more than just finding a whole turbo engine. you would have to find low compression pistons, stronger crank and con rods, find a turbo, sort out engine management. too much hassle !

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Thanks for the information, Oddball. I am posting this as a response to your last port reguarding the pontiac lemans/sunbird setup. I do know that the lemans with the 1.6/1.8L OHC 8V motors use the GM (General Motors) TH125C transmission. It is a 3 speed automatic. I believe the designation for that transaxle is a 3T40. The pontiac lemans is the same car as the astra from what I understand, and the astras came with the C20XE I believe. Now, I am not familiar with the transmsiions used in the UK or their designations. Do they have an automatic transmission available for the C20LET motors in the astra? My sunbird is FWD only, so the 4X4 transmission won't work in it.
    1994 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L OHC
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air
    1988 Chevy Camaro(being rebuilt)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    the C20LET was only ever fitted with a 6 speed manual Getrag box, designated F28 in europe. it will fit in the astra but requires some manipulation to engine mounts at the gearbox end. the only other option is the F20 5 speed manual gearbox fitted as standard to the n/a 20XE, this is not favoured because of strength and longevity issues.

there is the 3 speed automatic transmission, it was fitted as standard to some 1.6 base models, and was a cost option on other 1.6 astras and luxury 1.8 models.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Monterey 3.1 Diamond
    would be cool to see a c20let in a pontiac for a change!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra H
    i seen a 2wd cav gsi in the scrappie that had an automatic gear box used in it so i presume that vauxhall made an automatic gearbox for the c20xe would that not be useable for a let

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Calibra 16V
    Originally posted by baz16v
    i seen a 2wd cav gsi in the scrappie that had an automatic gear box used in it so i presume that vauxhall made an automatic gearbox for the c20xe would that not be useable for a let
    R u sure it wasn't a automatic cav kitted up as a GSi?
    God put me on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things, I'm so far behind i'll never DIE!

+ Reply to Thread